LisaShea Forum Logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
moths/worms in their food! #406733 12/14/10 08:36 PM
Kareki Offline OP
OP Offline
i live out in the country so bugs are a given. i've started putting my bird's seed in a plastic drink pitcher. it seals completely. i opened it to freshen their food a few days ago and there was a moth in there. a moth that had made nasty little messes all over and left nasty worms all having a lovely time in this sealed container.
anyone have any moth proof secrets?

Re: moths/worms in their food! [Re: Kareki] #406734 12/14/10 08:44 PM
I
illusive Fantasy Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate
Platinum Star Soulmate
I
well first off you have to dispose of the entire contents of THAT container and obviously NOT use it again...the way i store seeds is to ZIPLOCK the bulk of the seeds and portion out ONLY WHAT ILL USE to make a personal seed mix which will last me a month and then seal that up in plastic container BURPING out the air as i seal it...

where ever you stored this container will also have to be DEBUGGED for these otherwise hard to get rid of nasty beaties with their moth egg larvae really sopping a bug killing liquid into the corners and creases and edges because thats where they will go and they are really hard to get rid of if they establish....so good luck

Re: moths/worms in their food! [Re: illusive Fantasy] #406737 12/14/10 09:07 PM
Kareki Offline OP
OP Offline
ooohhhh ziploc is a good idea. maybe i'll pick up some... oh that's simple clever, thank you!

Re: moths/worms in their food! [Re: Kareki] #406744 12/15/10 12:09 AM
A
aka Offline
A
I heard that some people have some kinda wood around the house that rids all moths... oooh I forgot what it's called!!!

Re: moths/worms in their food! [Re: aka] #406752 12/15/10 01:39 AM
BLR Offline
Copper Star Soulmate
Copper Star Soulmate
If you are having problems with bugs in your keets food, you can freeze it when you bring it home. Be sure to throughly wash the container that you put the food in.

You brought the moth home with you from the store. This is why I never buy from bulk bens in the store. I know it is cheaper but once they get mothes in their food it is impossible to get rid of.

Good luck with your pest problem. Sometimes they can be quite frustrating.

Re: moths/worms in their food! [Re: BLR] #406755 12/15/10 01:58 AM
I
illusive Fantasy Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate
Platinum Star Soulmate
I
most often freezing doesnt kill the larvae and freezing most often also causes condensation (sometimes hardly noticeable) on the seeds which is not goooood at all.

Re: moths/worms in their food! [Re: illusive Fantasy] #406756 12/15/10 02:48 AM
BLR Offline
Copper Star Soulmate
Copper Star Soulmate
ok sorry, disregard what I said.

Re: moths/worms in their food! [Re: BLR] #406775 12/15/10 06:05 PM
P
preciousbaby Offline
Friend
Friend
P
I totally agree with Illusive. I put all my bulk seeds in Ziplock bags, squeeze out all the air to death and then I also put them is sealed Tupperware containers to make sure that they are air tight. I have never had any moths of any kind in Blossie's food. Yes, you also have to do a extensive cleaning to rid the area of the eggs.

Re: moths/worms in their food! [Re: preciousbaby] #406780 12/15/10 07:02 PM
JeanneM Offline
Long Time Friend
Long Time Friend
Pantry weevils are very common and the larvae are very adept at finding places to sit and develop. When and if the conditions are good, they develop into the moth which in turn lays more eggs. They may even have come home with you when you bought the seed. You may have to take more steps in ridding your kitchen of these pests. Carefully check your pantry and the rice, pasta, bean, seed or nut products. Just throw them out if you see any signs of weevil cocoons. Warm air is needed for them to produce. They will bore through the cardboard into boxes of product. So if in doubt, throw it out. Good luck. Oh, even cereals and dried fruits.

JeanneM
Re: moths/worms in their food! [Re: JeanneM] #406782 12/15/10 08:33 PM
I
illusive Fantasy Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate
Platinum Star Soulmate
I
excellent advice jeanne on just throwing out stuff...hard to do sometimes but for sure you DONT WANT THESE CRITTERS with a infestation...by any means

Last edited by illusive Fantasy; 12/15/10 08:34 PM.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Lisa Shea 

Search

Latest Posts
levitation photo challenge
by EVA21SA - 10/31/20 07:40 AM
free will
by EVA21SA - 10/31/20 07:33 AM
Separating Two Parakeets
by Min - 10/28/20 05:51 PM
Please help
by Faeed - 10/27/20 03:23 PM
Privacy Policy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!
Forum Areas

* General Discussion *

Books, TV, Movies

Da Vinci Code

Dreams

Japanese Culture

Life, Universe, Everything

Online Courses

Politics

Religious Research

Show Your Own Work

Work From Home / Writing

* Parakeets and Pets *

General Parakeet Chat

Keet Stories and Photos

Parakeet Photo Gallery

Budgie Training

Health and Medical Issues

Parakeet Breeding

In Memory Of ...

Non-Budgie Pets and Animals

Non-Budgie Animal Photos

Off-Topic for Keet Owners

Games

Animal Rights

Bird / Animal Books

Subscribe
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site