Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Grit , Cuttle Bone, Vitamins? #40607 01/31/06 10:33 PM
4kimpossible Offline OP
Companion
OP Offline
Companion
Lilly won't touch her grit. She does love the cuttlebone. Is that enough to help in her digestion? Does everyone put grit in their cages? Are there any other alternatives. Also, no luck with any fruits or veggies. Are vitamins necessary? I change Lilly's water everyday. There is no way she'll get enough vitamins in her water...she never drinks a considerable amount before it's changed. Suggestions?
Kim

Re: Grit , Cuttle Bone, Vitamins? #40608 01/31/06 10:38 PM
horsewise Offline
Long Time Friend
Long Time Friend
i dont use grit ( this is my opinion PLZ dont yell me) and i dont think anyone needs to. birds that need grit are the ones with beaks that cant shell their own seeds. all hookbils can, so they dont need grit. it actaulyl gets impacted in their intestines and can kill them. cuttlebone (i dt) doesnt help in digesion as much as it give them calcium and sharpens their beaks. vitamins in the water encourage bacteria growth and arent really needed. keep trying with the fruits and veggies. put them by the highest perch cuz thats where they like to eat. hope this helps!

i know why the caged bird sings..... cuz he has me!!
Re: Grit , Cuttle Bone, Vitamins? #40609 01/31/06 10:45 PM
C
Capt. Haddock Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend
C
I don't think you'll ever find a definitive answer on whether to give them grit or not. Different books and websites all tell you something different, and usually with a tone of stern authority. It's six of one and a half dozen of the other.

But as you know, we here are disciples of the "guru" Lisa Shea, and Lisa belongs to the school of no grit.

I don't give my birds any, and they seem to be doing allright.

Re: Grit , Cuttle Bone, Vitamins? #40610 01/31/06 11:27 PM
icequeen50 Offline
Long Time Friend
Long Time Friend
I agree with both horse wise and capt. haddock, the only exception for me is I do give vitiams in the water during the mating time and during the time the hen laying and sitting on eggs, also for a couple of weeks during the moulting sessions. i hope this helps. I don't use grit and Ihave never had a problem.

Re: Grit , Cuttle Bone, Vitamins? #40611 02/01/06 12:32 AM
Jloc Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend
Yeah stay away from the grit, I would take it out asap and never touch it again. Keets have no problems with digestion so there is no need for grit and it can cause some major issues in their stomach with cropping. So please discontinue the grit. Ask your vet I almost promise you he will say not to use it. Cuttlebones on the other hand you need, they give the bird much needed calcium, cuttlebones are calcium carbonate which is what tums are made out of, so it is harmless and beneficial to your bird, and if they won't chew on it, you need to scrap a little bit onto their food dish that way they are getting some always even if they don't eat the actuall cuttlebone, also getting the small cuttlebones can help if you bird is nervous of the cuttlebone. And for the vitamins, thats a personal preference, some people use them soem don't. It kinda depends on the birds diet, if the bird is getting all the proper nutrients in their food you don't really need them but again it's up to you, some people have their birds on an all pellet diet and those people don't need vitamins really because pellets usually contain 100% of what birds need, besides fresh veggies and greens. And I really don't like the vitamins that go in water, I know they are the most widely used ones but I think there are far too many negatives with them, and there are plenty of other kinds that can go right onto the food which is much safer. The two major problems with vitamins in the water is 1. The bird might not drink much because the water tastes funny, it really changes the taste and a bird will rarely drink from it, only when in desperate need for water will they drink, and the worst problem is the stuff makes the water grow bacteria within 24-48 hours, I know you should change water everyday but most people aren't as good about that as they should be, and the vitamins just spark bacterial growth and even if you change it everyday you must clean the hell out of it everyday which is difficult and you might end up getting some soap residue in there too which is no good, so overall I am against it. If you use it look at the bottle and se what it says often they can go on the food too, which is much much safer for the bird and you still get the benefits of the vitamin without the risk. SO thats my feeling on the whole thing, definately no on the grit, definately yes on the cuttlebone, and no to the water vitamins but either way for vitamins on the food. Hope that helps and good luck. Jloc

Frodo, Sam Wise, Shelby, and Scooter
Re: Grit , Cuttle Bone, Vitamins? #40612 02/01/06 12:46 AM
snow hen Offline
Companion
Companion
good point jloc about the bacteria on the vitamins. I donn't know if it was mentioned but also some fat soluble vitamins won't dissolve, but will float at the top(ie. A,D,E,K)

Re: Grit , Cuttle Bone, Vitamins? #40613 02/01/06 12:48 AM
snow hen Offline
Companion
Companion
also yes it does need all vitamins, as mentioned pellits are good, but veggies are better--you might try vitamin powder on soak seed or greens

Re: Grit , Cuttle Bone, Vitamins? #40614 02/01/06 07:40 PM
J
jaykelvik Offline
Friend
Friend
J
i dnt want to be the saw thumb here but Cage birds wont need grit but avairy birds do if you keep birds in an aviry it is essentail that you use Grit but if you keep birds in cages you wont realy need it

breeding for over 12 years
Re: Grit , Cuttle Bone, Vitamins? #40615 02/01/06 08:10 PM
C
Capt. Haddock Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend
C
Out of curiosity, Jay: what's the difference?

Are aviary birds fed a different diet that is more difficult for them to digest?

Just wondering.

Moderated by  Lisa Shea 

Search

Latest Posts
Summit White als auch Tech Grey
by AllanMajor - 10/06/22 02:04 PM
medieval stained glass dragon
by AllanMajor - 10/05/22 12:17 PM
Health and Behavior Questions.....
by AllanMajor - 10/03/22 02:32 PM
Need To Unplug
by AllanMajor - 09/30/22 12:11 PM
Getting Your Book Published
by AllanMajor - 09/29/22 08:57 AM
CC02 Rubber standard golf club gripes
by WilliamC00 - 09/28/22 02:33 PM
GARDEN FLOWERS
by Daruka - 09/27/22 06:18 PM
God's Court
by leyibop - 09/20/22 08:41 PM
What does this dream mean?
by juniovidx - 09/08/22 12:04 PM
Privacy Policy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!
Forum Areas

* General Discussion *

Books, TV, Movies

Da Vinci Code

Dreams

Japanese Culture

Life, Universe, Everything

Online Courses

Politics

Religious Research

Show Your Own Work

Work From Home / Writing

* Parakeets and Pets *

General Parakeet Chat

Keet Stories and Photos

Parakeet Photo Gallery

Budgie Training

Health and Medical Issues

Parakeet Breeding

In Memory Of ...

Non-Budgie Pets and Animals

Non-Budgie Animal Photos

Off-Topic for Keet Owners

Games

Animal Rights

Bird / Animal Books

Subscribe
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site