Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Don't Bother!!! - ??? #405541 10/22/10 06:08 PM
PDM Offline OP
True Blue Soulmate
OP Offline
True Blue Soulmate
I just noticed this on MSN. A David Whitley has contributed: [i]'Sixteen things not to bother doing before you die'.[/i] Here is the list ~ what do you think? Have you visited them? [i] Madame Tussauds, London The Sex Museum, Amsterdam Bondi Beach, Sydney The Chichen Itza sound and light show, Mexico Rodeo Drive, Los Angeles Angkor Wat, Cambodia The Grand Canyon Skywalk, Arizona Zipwiring through a rainforest Val D’Isère, France Dunn’s River Falls, Jamaica Sunset on Santorini, Greece The Louvre, Paris Las Vegas, Nevada Land's End, Cornwall Stonehenge, Wiltshire, UK Eiffel Tower, Paris[/i] They ask for 'your nominations': http://travel.uk.msn.com/inspiration/photos.aspx?cp-documentid=152598406 More in a similar vein: Simon Busch has listed the supposed: [i]'most boring places on Earth'[/i] http://travel.uk.msn.com/inspiration/photos.aspx?cp-documentid=149582248

"The secret of success is constancy to purpose" - Benjamin Disraeli.
Re: Don't Bother!!! - ??? [Re: PDM] #405568 10/23/10 09:13 AM
janimal Offline
Tin Star Soulmate
Tin Star Soulmate
each to their own, but i'd love to see angkor wat. stonehenge at the solstice party is awesome. i'm with him on lands end. used to be a magical spot, thanks to de savary its now a cheesy themepark.

strange how people like to moan. the above list would have to come from someone who is very lucky to be so well travelled. for petes sake, be a bit more grateful, you miserable git!!

i can provide a list of don't bothers for cornwall for those who want it - newquay, padstow and polzeath are near the top of the list.

It's All got to go!!!

BudeStrings Music Tuition
Re: Don't Bother!!! - ??? [Re: janimal] #405581 10/23/10 10:56 PM
PDM Offline OP
True Blue Soulmate
OP Offline
True Blue Soulmate
I've always wanted to see Angkor Wat, too. The thing is, when a lot of people want to see a place, they tend to ruin it. And, when a lot of people visit a place, those who control it see a way to make money, and they also ruin it. That's life ~ sadly. Yes, seeing Stonehenge from a distance, behind a fence, was disappointing, but I'm not sorry I went ~ and the whole area is fascinating, so, for those who are interested in prehistory, I'd still call it 'a must'. I have only seen the Louvre from the outside. And I've only seen the Eiffel Tower from the bottom, but I loved it. The fountains are great! (I saw a great view of Paris from the top of the Arche de la Defense). The Grand Canyon Skywalk sounds amazing, but I can understand people calling it a blot on the landscape. I went to Val D’Isère and it was closed. The pass was closed and, yes, there was nothing there ~ but the scenery is amazing. It is beautiful ~ but we had to take a longer way around :( I went to Land's End in about 1963, with my parents & brother. It was wild and beautiful and nothing like a theme park ~ and I knew that it wasn't Britain's most southerly point (which is one of the criticisms) as I went to the Lizard, too. If it really has been ruined, then I am sorry to hear it and am glad that I saw it when I did. I'd love to see Sunset on Santorini, but I wouldn't bother with Madame Tussauds. I can't even remember whether I went there or not, so if I did it was very forgettable.

Re: Don't Bother!!! - ??? [Re: PDM] #405597 10/25/10 01:41 AM
jilly Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend
The grand canyon skywalk is highly overrated. You can see even better spots for free.

Las Vegas is fun! I don't even gamble, but i loved seeing all the neato hotels. It's like disneyland for adults.

Stonehenge was a disappointment for me because of the lack of solitude.

Jilly
LisaShea.com Forum Moderator
Frugal Living Editor at BellaOnline.com
App owner - RunPee.com - to help you find the best movie breaks smile
Re: Don't Bother!!! - ??? [Re: jilly] #405724 10/29/10 12:41 AM
PDM Offline OP
True Blue Soulmate
OP Offline
True Blue Soulmate
Originally Posted By: jilly
... Stonehenge was a disappointment for me because of the lack of solitude.

I can understand that, but with so many people wanting to see it, solitude may be too much to hope for smile

When did you visit?

Re: Don't Bother!!! - ??? [Re: PDM] #405730 10/29/10 10:06 AM
janimal Offline
Tin Star Soulmate
Tin Star Soulmate
go to bali. from kintamani, find a guide to take you to the top of gunung batur at night to watch the sun rise over gunug rinjani on lombok. if it doesn't blow you away, seek help.

It's All got to go!!!

BudeStrings Music Tuition
Re: Don't Bother!!! - ??? [Re: PDM] #405734 10/29/10 01:36 PM
L
Love My Budgies Offline
Long Time Friend
Long Time Friend
L
Opinions vary, so I think it is pretty arrogant for one individual to say not to bother. What may not appeal to one, may appeal to the another. I enjoy traveling and want to see as many places as possible, even if someone else does not like them. I have been to Rodeo Drive and Las Vegas several times and hate them both, won't go back, but I wouldn't tell someone else to not go.
I haven't been to Chichen Itza, but have been to Chacchoben, which is similar but smaller and it was amazing. I didn't zipwire, but we went on an aerial tram in Costa Rica above the rain forest and it was also amazing, breathtaking, beautiful, and would do it again in a heartbeat. Santorini is one of the places I hope to go to in the next few years.
A few places do not interest me such as Stonehenge, Madame Tussauds, and The Sex Museum.

Re: Don't Bother!!! - ??? [Re: Love My Budgies] #405735 10/29/10 01:39 PM
PDM Offline OP
True Blue Soulmate
OP Offline
True Blue Soulmate
I agree, Love My Budgies, different people like different things smile
I can't imagine anyone not being impressed by that photo posted by Janimal smile

Re: Don't Bother!!! - ??? [Re: PDM] #405805 10/31/10 03:38 AM
Lisa Shea Offline
True Blue Soulmate
True Blue Soulmate
I agree that it is almost elitist to say "I have so much money that I was able to travel to really cool places and I didn't enjoy my trip". There are people out there starving to death who dream of just going to ONE place. They would be thrilled with any of these trips to see something new and interesting.

If we are in the very luxurious position to be able to start *ranking* how our trips compare with each other, and feeling *bored* by going to a new location, that is sort of like a member of royalty scoffing at rubies because they like diamonds better.

There are amazing things to see in Las Vegas. The beauty of the paintings. The serenity of the gondolas. The intrigue of the penguins. The giant fish tank.

I zipwired in Costa Rica and had an amazing time. I was able to see things I never would have seen elsewhere. It was full immersion in the environment. I was extraordinarily grateful for the opportunity.

I went to the Louvre with Peter on our "Da Vinci Code" trip and adored it. There is so much beauty there.

I was very impressed by Chichen Itza. I did *not* see the light or sound show. If I had only 1 hour to spend there, would I rather have spent it walking around on my own and really absorbing the place on my own, vs watching their show? Maybe. But you're already making huge assumptions there, that I could even be there and making that kind of a fine distinction.

I loved going to Stonehenge and imagining myself there thousands of years ago, appreciating the stones and nature and so on. Would it have been neat if ONLY I was there? Yes, certainly. But reality states that it's unlikely I can wipe out all other human beings in a 10 mile radius to give me my own personal ideal experience smile I had to imagine it.

The other place on the list that I've been near is the skywalk. I am very afraid of heights (I discovered while at the top of Chichen Itza wink ) and would mostly feel panic on the skywalk. So for me that would be a scary experience. But I do not deny that for others that could be easily a once-in-a-lifetime experience.

Just that I could have experienced so many of these - when I do not consider myself "rich" - shows just how rich I *am* - when the vast majority of the world cannot even dream of going to one of these locations. Again it is very humbling.

Lisa Shea, Owner
Re: Don't Bother!!! - ??? [Re: Lisa Shea] #405949 11/05/10 03:18 AM
jilly Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend
I still have to disagree on the skywalk. So many wondrous free places to view the canyon - this one spot, in my opinion, is purely to milk the tourists. I have been to literally a hundred nicer spots on both rims that you don't need a very expensive ticket for.

As for Stonehenge, it was a long time ago - maybe 20 years ago? For some reason I was not prepared for the tee shirt hawking and hot dog vending and chain link fencing. I had even hitch hiked there with my sister, all the way from Oxford - I was THAT excited to see it. So instead we were directed by a friend to a smaller rock circle that most people didn't know about, and we had our spiritual solitude.

I feel like that with a lot of things. That if you really want to get a richer experience - and not just the tourist postcard view - you can do better. Another example: I have been to Niagara Falls as a child, and found it over-hyped. I am not saying it's a worthless experience to go. But I am saying that I've been to wonderful waterfalls elsewhere that moved me far, far more, and did not come with all the trappings of industrial tourism.

My own Must See Lists would include places that are more off the beaten path - inserting, say Oregon's Multnoma Falls in Columbia Gorge for Niagara, Grand View Point instead of the Grand Canyon Skywalk, Oxford's Eagle and the Child pub (where Tolkien and CS Lewis sat dreaming up stories with the Inklings) instead of Statford on Avon. There are many other fantastic little known ruins across the southwest if one has the time to look beyond Mesa Verde. These are just examples.

I do understand that some places will be touristy and crowded - like Vegas, Disney, the Acropolis, the Sistine Chapel. I've been to all of those and enjoyed them greatly. But I was also expecting hoards of people (unlike with my youthful Stonehenge disappointment). Expectations go a long way, I think. Mentally i do better when prepared for how the experience might be. I am usually very uncomfortable in crowds and I need to be warned beforehand so I don't have an anxiety attack.

And really, for something like the Sistine Chapel, there are going to be jostling, loud crowds. I tried to lay down on the floor to quietly look at the ceiling and got in trouble with the authorities. I was not being a proper sheep. Was it worth seeing? Yes, because I had studied the history and really wanted to see it. But i honestly got more out of the free and completely solitary experience of seeing Caravaggio's massive and passionate paintings just across town.

I've gotten more out of hiking to quiet and lonely ruins way out in the wilderness, imagining what my life there could have been life, listening to far off flute strains in my dreams, than doing the tightly controlled tourist trails for Anasazi ruins at the national parks.

Or maybe i am just a curmudgeon who wants to be alone with my experiences. smile

Jilly
LisaShea.com Forum Moderator
Frugal Living Editor at BellaOnline.com
App owner - RunPee.com - to help you find the best movie breaks smile
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Lisa Shea 

Search

Latest Posts
Dreaming of Losing a Pet
by Jane Pierce - 06/01/21 05:08 AM
nike kyrie 5 en soldes
by RuardGreve - 06/01/21 01:53 AM
nike pg 5 white sale
by RuardGreve - 06/01/21 01:49 AM
adidas stan smith dames lichtblauw
by RuardGreve - 06/01/21 01:47 AM
Dieser Ring aus Sterlingsilber eignet
by RuardGreve - 06/01/21 01:45 AM
Privacy Policy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!
Forum Areas

* General Discussion *

Books, TV, Movies

Da Vinci Code

Dreams

Japanese Culture

Life, Universe, Everything

Online Courses

Politics

Religious Research

Show Your Own Work

Work From Home / Writing

* Parakeets and Pets *

General Parakeet Chat

Keet Stories and Photos

Parakeet Photo Gallery

Budgie Training

Health and Medical Issues

Parakeet Breeding

In Memory Of ...

Non-Budgie Pets and Animals

Non-Budgie Animal Photos

Off-Topic for Keet Owners

Games

Animal Rights

Bird / Animal Books

Subscribe
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site