Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Sick Keet? #4050 01/21/05 05:02 PM
Sushi'n'Stitch Offline OP
Companion
OP Offline
Companion
When I went to feed Stitch this morning, I noticed what looked like diarrhea at the bottom of her cage. Since she's so new, I didn't know if it was recent or from her first few days here, when it could have been from stress. So, I replaced her cage lining, and yep - it's from today.

I'd already scheduled a vet appointment for Tuesday, just to get her a preliminary checkup, but I called them back and they said I could bring her in at 2:45 today. So, that's what I'm going to do.

The dilemma is that Petco has a fourteen-day guarantee on their birds, but I know that if I just took her back she wouldn't get any treatment... Anyhow, you can bet that Petco is going to get a piece of my mind about it.

Re: Sick Keet? #4051 01/21/05 08:14 PM
C
Capt. Haddock Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend
C
My keet gets diarrhoea from time to time and it goes away on its own after a while. I notice he's had it when I changed his seed, put him in a new cage, and sometimes if he's left alone for a long time...so it may be stress related. It's not necessarily a big deal, but better double check with the vet, just in case.

Re: Sick Keet? #4052 01/21/05 08:19 PM
BudgieLover Offline
Great Friend
Great Friend
I hope Stitch is okay! It's so scary when a bird might be sick. frown If it turns out that she already was sick when she was at Petco, she would be far from the only sick bird they've ever had. Just thought I might tell you that Petco has been in quite a bit of trouble lately for taking bad care of their animals, and even for many cases of cruelty. For example, one Petco employee actually PURPOSELY vacuumed up a parakeet and laughed about it with some other employees. eek A LOT of their stores have gotten in trouble for this sort of stuff, and for neglecting their animals to the point of sickness and death, and then leaving these animals on display for customers to see. Anyway, I really hope Stitch is okay, but if she isn't, I wouldn't go back to that Petco if I were you in case they're one of the stores that has been in trouble. If you want, you can read about this stuff at www.petcocruelty.com. I hope she's okay! Good luck! smile Oh, and I hope I haven't offended anyone who is a loyal Petco customer! Just thought I'd share this, cuz it's pretty bad stuff. smile

Re: Sick Keet? #4053 01/21/05 09:33 PM
Companion
OP Offline
Companion
We just got back from the vet... she said the same thing Capt. Haddock did... it's probably because she's still acclimating. Basically, she told me to closely monitor her and call if there was a problem, and in the meantime keep her nice and warm and happy.

And yeah, I don't like Petco, either, although mine is not one of the ones that's been in trouble (I checked it quite awhile ago :-) ) Unfortunately, there's NO WHERE else in this town where you can get young parakeets. :-( And no breeders in the area... I asked the vet about it. I think it just varies a lot from store to store... the Petco in my hometown is actually very nice.

Re: Sick Keet? #4054 01/21/05 09:33 PM
MsDru Offline
Thats horrible! I won't be shopping there for bird toys anymore.

Good luck with Stitch today Sushi's Person. Im sure she'll be fine, probably just a little stressed out.

Re: Sick Keet? #4055 01/21/05 11:15 PM
BudgieLover Offline
Great Friend
Great Friend
I'm glad that Stitch is okay! smile And it's good that you have a decent Petco too. smile

Re: Sick Keet? #4056 01/21/05 11:19 PM
K
Kacey_Bugsy_777 Offline
Soulmate
Soulmate
K
That's Terrible! I never shoped at petco after I got my first chinchilla there.....His name was Mr. Chin. He died after a few months of liver desiese. Petco had gotten him from a bad breeder. I never shopped at Petco again after that. I'll be praying for Stitch! smile

"God would rather see us walk with a occasional limp than a perpetual strut.
And if it takes a thorn for Him to make His point,
He loves us enough not to take it out." -Max Lucado
Re: Sick Keet? #4057 01/22/05 12:08 AM
Companion
OP Offline
Companion
Stitch seems to be feeling better already, thanks for the well-wishes, everyone! It looked like she ate quite a bit while I was downstairs with Sushi, and I even heard some happy ack-acking out of her.

It's really a shame that Petco has a strangle hold on some small cities/large towns such as the one in which I live.

Re: Sick Keet? #4058 01/22/05 12:19 AM
Born2LoveKeets Offline
Companion
Companion
Thats great Stich seems to be looking better. He must have given you a scare.

~ Shelby ~
Re: Sick Keet? #4059 01/22/05 03:01 AM
BudgieLover Offline
Great Friend
Great Friend
Yeah, it's really good that she's okay. laugh I bet you're feelilng pretty relieved. And yeah, Petco sucks. Sorry about the chinchilla you got there Kacey! That's sad frown

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Lisa Shea 

Search

Latest Posts
Photo Print Sizes
by leyibop - 03/24/23 07:20 PM
Architecture photography challeng
by Wuzzy - 03/24/23 08:27 AM
Longevity and Ayurveda treatments.
by Wuzzy - 03/24/23 05:23 AM
Sleeping more eases aches
by Wuzzy - 03/23/23 10:44 AM
What is business credibility and how can I boost i
by sandysam - 03/21/23 08:44 AM
Cleaning Microfiber
by Wuzzy - 03/21/23 03:51 AM
Dreaming of Your House
by Wuzzy - 03/20/23 12:14 PM
Do you have a facial regime?
by Wuzzy - 03/20/23 07:24 AM
Travel: Travel Books & Travel experiences
by MatthewBrady - 03/18/23 12:29 PM
origami crane earrings
by MatthewBrady - 03/18/23 11:45 AM
Privacy Policy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!
Forum Areas

* General Discussion *

Books, TV, Movies

Da Vinci Code

Dreams

Japanese Culture

Life, Universe, Everything

Online Courses

Politics

Religious Research

Show Your Own Work

Work From Home / Writing

* Parakeets and Pets *

General Parakeet Chat

Keet Stories and Photos

Parakeet Photo Gallery

Budgie Training

Health and Medical Issues

Parakeet Breeding

In Memory Of ...

Non-Budgie Pets and Animals

Non-Budgie Animal Photos

Off-Topic for Keet Owners

Games

Animal Rights

Bird / Animal Books

Subscribe
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site