Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
I don't know what I am doing wrong for my parakeet #403691 08/03/10 05:15 AM
M
minjies Offline OP
OP Offline
M
We are now on our 3rd one. We bought one for my little one on his b-day, about 3 months later he died. Apparently his location was too close to the windows and the sunlight, so we got another one, and my kids didn't give him enough food. so we got another one and today he died. My kids said that he looked really fat yesterday, and this morning he was gone already. I don't know if we did something wrong, or what. The only thing I can think of was I sprayed that Carpet Fresh on my carpets 2 days ago. I don't know if that would harm him or why he would look so fat all of a sudden. Any help is appreciated.

Re: I don't know what I am doing wrong for my parakeet [Re: minjies] #403694 08/03/10 01:30 PM
I
illusive Fantasy Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate
Platinum Star Soulmate
I
your kids didnt give him enough food...they are kids...you should of been making sure that bird was taken care of...dont know what your doing wrong ...just telling us all your keets keep dying isnt enough of information...and carpet fresh didnt kill the last one but it sure dont help to use any sort of chemicals around the birds or place them in a kitchen or by windows or doors where there is also drafts etc.

Try buying the bird books for some information on how to take care of birds...that be the MINIMUM of information YOU should of first done.

Last edited by illusive Fantasy; 08/03/10 06:24 PM.
Re: I don't know what I am doing wrong for my parakeet [Re: illusive Fantasy] #403696 08/03/10 01:53 PM
K
kksuns Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate
Platinum Star Soulmate
K
How old are your kids?? Regardless of how old they are, they are still kids, and you should be checking on the bird to be sure it is fed and has fresh water. Food and water HAS to be checked and changed twice daily. With the food..sometimes it APPEARS that the seed cup is full, but it's really just empty seed hulls. Dishes also have to be cleaned regularly so they don't get sick from bacteria build up. Same with toys, perches and the cage itself.
For cleaning you can use apple cider vinegar and water or something called GSE-grapefruit seed extract. They are both non toxic and kill bacteria.

Like illusive said, in front of window is no good. Could be too hot from too much sun, and also DRAFTS are especially bad for keets.
Any type of cleaning products or air fresheners can not be used around them! Carpet fresh is a big NO NO. Another thing in case you were unaware is that Non stick cookware is toxic to them.

As for him looking "fat" all of a sudden, he was probably puffed up.feathers puffed up. Which can be a sign of illness.
They will puff up if they are cold, or sometimes when getting ready to nap...but if they are puffed for long time or frequently-it's usually a sing of illness.

I would suggest you do lots of research before getting another keet. And YOU will have to be responsible right along with the kids.
You can learn a lot right here on this forum. Browse around, read different threads..ask any questions you might have.

Re: I don't know what I am doing wrong for my parakeet [Re: kksuns] #403703 08/03/10 07:37 PM
Jessica Cole Offline
Great Friend
Great Friend
Kksuns and Illusive are so right! Lots of research is required before purchasing any bird. A lot of people everywhere think that owning a bird will be like owning a hamster or a guinea pig, but the truth is that any bird takes a lot of responsibility. If you take good care of them, they can live to be 15 to 20 years old - parakeets, anyway.

I am sad to hear that your parakeets had to die so young. I am hoping that you can start over with your next one if you decide to do so. Many of us here may seem "crazy", but in all honesty we are just concerned about the bird's safety and health.

Keeping him/her by a window is not good and neither is carpet cleaner or any chemicals around birds. Also, Teflon pans aren't good either if your bird was by the kitchen. Teflon is also bad for humans as well. If your bird was looking "fat", then he was probably very ill. If you didn't know, parakeets require regular avian vet attention just like a cat or a dog. You should look up a local avian vet near you. If you can not find an avian vet, then call around to see if a clinic does birds - it's better than no vet at all, you know. : )

Update us on what you decide and how your research is going! You can educate your kids as well. You never know, it could be fun! Then, you and your kids can properly take care of your bird together. : ) Good luck!

Re: I don't know what I am doing wrong for my parakeet [Re: Jessica Cole] #403833 08/10/10 05:25 PM
ParakeetLover13 Offline
Does puffing up is like when the bird is shakin there feathers or something like that (sorry if i dont find the good words for it Im really french) and if the puff stops then is it okay? I mean if it stays like that for 4/5 seconds? but after they go normal, its not a problem right?

Moderated by  Lisa Shea 

Search

Latest Posts
Upgrading my Bracelet Game
by knightgael - 01/30/23 08:44 AM
Mathematics
by Kerok - 01/26/23 05:53 AM
Nike towards the Chinese Lunar Yr inspiration
by AllanMajor - 01/25/23 07:36 AM
Why did my credit card company randomly extend my
by knightgael - 01/23/23 02:50 PM
Little Budgie Football Fans???
by Wuzzy - 01/23/23 04:56 AM
NCAA football rankings
by Wuzzy - 01/23/23 04:53 AM
Are the services of the fubotv good?
by knightgael - 01/22/23 11:13 PM
Where can I get feedback about the oncor?
by landale - 01/22/23 08:38 PM
Are product reviews important to you before you
by landale - 01/22/23 05:50 PM
Privacy Policy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!
Forum Areas

* General Discussion *

Books, TV, Movies

Da Vinci Code

Dreams

Japanese Culture

Life, Universe, Everything

Online Courses

Politics

Religious Research

Show Your Own Work

Work From Home / Writing

* Parakeets and Pets *

General Parakeet Chat

Keet Stories and Photos

Parakeet Photo Gallery

Budgie Training

Health and Medical Issues

Parakeet Breeding

In Memory Of ...

Non-Budgie Pets and Animals

Non-Budgie Animal Photos

Off-Topic for Keet Owners

Games

Animal Rights

Bird / Animal Books

Subscribe
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site