Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Misaligned Blood Feather Blues #403826 08/10/10 07:43 AM
Tanaka Offline OP
Long Time Friend
OP Offline
Long Time Friend
[b][size:14pt]Misaligned [color:#CC0000]Blood[/color] Feather Blues[/size][/b] [img]http://i336.photobucket.com/albums/n337/Guregoreo/feath01a.jpg[/img] [img]http://i336.photobucket.com/albums/n337/Guregoreo/feath01b.jpg[/img] [size:11pt][b]This happened LAST OCTOBER & has since been OK, but I thought I’d post and see what you all thought about it. ;) To me, it appears that Dango Chan may have had some sort of trauma to a new blood feather (Bumped into a toy or something while being the little feathered monster that he is!) :crazy: which caused it to grow at an awkward angle.[/b][/size] :eek: [img]http://i336.photobucket.com/albums/n337/Guregoreo/feath03a.jpg[/img] [img]http://i336.photobucket.com/albums/n337/Guregoreo/feath03b.jpg[/img] [size:11pt][b]What doesn’t show up in the pictures is how [color:#CC0000]RED[/color] the blood was in the sheath. When I first saw it, I remember freaking out & thinking “OH $@*#!!!, I’ve got a broken blood feather on my hands!!!!!” :cry: Thankfully it wasn’t. :) Dango Chan can fly awesomely. But his freaky feather seemed to give him problems with his flight & also annoy him a bit at times. :( But other than that he was his usual active, singing, fluffy-butt self.[/b][/size] [img]http://i336.photobucket.com/albums/n337/Guregoreo/feath02a.jpg[/img] [img]http://i336.photobucket.com/albums/n337/Guregoreo/feath02b.jpg[/img] [size:11pt][b]I was left with deciding what to do. I would have got him to our vet immediately if he wasn’t his chipper self. And I did also think about pulling it myself :eek: (and got out some of this forum’s advice (that I had printed for emergencies). But since the integrity of the feather seemed fine (other than its angle). I decided to “ground” him instead. For about a week and a half or so, he stayed in his cage. He got a lot of extra love & I kept a very close eye on his feather. In time, as the feather grew and matured, the feather actually righted itself (I was expecting it to drop off) & thankfully I’m still a broken blood-feather virgin. :whistle: I’m curious to know if this, or something similar, has happened to anyone else’s bird?[/b][/size] :)

Peace & Happiness
Re: Misaligned Blood Feather Blues [Re: Tanaka] #403827 08/10/10 08:04 AM
I
illusive Fantasy Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate
Platinum Star Soulmate
I
VERY very wise of you to have grounded him..Id watch any subsequent moults tho to see if that feathered area has a repeat occurence...i dont think it will and i can only imagine how it bothered him to fly with that ..so again...very wise you grounded him for the time it took to dry

Re: Misaligned Blood Feather Blues [Re: illusive Fantasy] #403830 08/10/10 12:41 PM
K
kksuns Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate
Platinum Star Soulmate
K
Oh my gosh Tanaka! I have never seen such a thing crazy

You did good girl! You used your head and "grounded" him til it was safe for him to fly about again.

Good to hear it eventually righted itself. And thanks so much for sharing. Ya never know when someone else might come across the same problem.
Great photos BTW wink

Re: Misaligned Blood Feather Blues [Re: kksuns] #403859 08/11/10 04:21 AM
Tanaka Offline OP
Long Time Friend
OP Offline
Long Time Friend
[size:11pt][b]Pretty crazy, huh!? :crazy: Thanks guys! It was spooky when it happened, but I am just thankful it didn’t become a serious issue. :whistle: I’ll certainly keep an eye on Dango Chan the next time he molts, thanks. :) I have to admit, after it was all over, I found actually seeing the developing feather to be quite interesting. ;) I’m glad the pictures turned out as clear as they did. I just now regret that I didn’t take more to show how the feather fell back into place. :blush: I think Dango Chan will be the little guy who takes years off my life & adds the grey hairs to my head!!!![/b][/size] :eek:

Peace & Happiness
Re: Misaligned Blood Feather Blues [Re: Tanaka] #403860 08/11/10 04:35 AM
I
illusive Fantasy Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate
Platinum Star Soulmate
I
Should i buy stock in lady clairol now or wait giggle

Re: Misaligned Blood Feather Blues [Re: illusive Fantasy] #403870 08/12/10 01:44 AM
K
kirbygirl1 Offline
Regular
Regular
K
? sorry, but what is a blood feather? iv never seen or heard of that befor so to me i think it looks quite odd, so does it involve blood? so i mean what would happen if u or your vet plucked it? lol...i have never heard of a blood feather, soulds painful to a bird

My dear bugies, Heather and Eglatine, and my first one Feather who has passed, they are mine forever
Re: Misaligned Blood Feather Blues [Re: kirbygirl1] #403873 08/12/10 02:43 AM
Tanaka Offline OP
Long Time Friend
OP Offline
Long Time Friend
[size:11pt][b]Hey there Kirbygirl1, Very good question to ask! Knowing about blood feathers (also called “pin” feathers by some) is really important for us budgie owners. :) Blood feathers have just grown. They are part of our birds’ natural process of molting & growing new feathers. They are [u]NEW feathers[/u] & still have a blood supply flowing through them. :) Imagine a straw. Now imagine the mess that would occur if while you were sucking up some tomato juice (RED for effect! Yuck! :eek: ) from a glass, someone cut it with a pair of scissors! Now, if the straw was actually a feather (and that feather had been broken) and the glass were a bird, the bird would continue to pump blood to the open feather & the bird would continue to lose blood. . . In a short amount of time, a bird can bleed out and die. (Birds are quite tiny and don’t have much blood). :( If you remove the feather from the bird (don’t try it without learning how to properly do it!), the bleeding will stop. It is a horrific experience that many of the site owners have gone through, but knowing what to do can save your bird’s life![/b][/size] ;)

Peace & Happiness
Re: Misaligned Blood Feather Blues [Re: Tanaka] #403874 08/12/10 02:59 AM
K
kirbygirl1 Offline
Regular
Regular
K
Ah ok, lol, thank u for explaining that. by the way pretty bird smile

My dear bugies, Heather and Eglatine, and my first one Feather who has passed, they are mine forever
Re: Misaligned Blood Feather Blues [Re: kirbygirl1] #403878 08/12/10 11:30 AM
I
illusive Fantasy Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate
Platinum Star Soulmate
I

Moderated by  Lisa Shea 

Search

Latest Posts
Privacy Policy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!
Forum Areas

* General Discussion *

Books, TV, Movies

Da Vinci Code

Dreams

Japanese Culture

Life, Universe, Everything

Online Courses

Politics

Religious Research

Show Your Own Work

Work From Home / Writing

* Parakeets and Pets *

General Parakeet Chat

Keet Stories and Photos

Parakeet Photo Gallery

Budgie Training

Health and Medical Issues

Parakeet Breeding

In Memory Of ...

Non-Budgie Pets and Animals

Non-Budgie Animal Photos

Off-Topic for Keet Owners

Games

Animal Rights

Bird / Animal Books

Subscribe
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site