Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
I found a parakeet in my garden yesterday #403625 07/31/10 02:34 PM
Pogo Offline OP
OP Offline
Hi all.

I found this little birdie in my garden yesterday when I went out to pick a tomato. So I went out to my shop and got my fish net and caught it.

I guess they are properly called Budgie's eh?

Right now I have it in a makeshift cage that was an old swimming pool basket. I've got to go to town and buy a nice cage and some bird food and stuff for it.

Any recommendations on reading material for properly caring for the bird?

I believe it's a female because of the light color of blue on it's cere.

I like all critters, big and small.
Re: I found a parakeet in my garden yesterday [Re: Pogo] #403627 07/31/10 04:34 PM
I
illusive Fantasy Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate
Platinum Star Soulmate
I
Cant see the cere very good from your pictures but thats a nice looking bird that i dont think has escaped from it owners too long...from what i can see ...and its hard to tell ..maybe just started to grow back its flight feathers and escaped...but someone took good care of it would seem and definetely get it out of that cage quickly ..every time HE if its blue...puts his beak to that metal your running a great BIG risk of heavy metal poisioning.

Re: I found a parakeet in my garden yesterday [Re: Pogo] #403628 07/31/10 04:44 PM
B
blumom Offline
Long Time Friend
Long Time Friend
B
May I suggest you contact your local police and vet to find out if anyone has reported a missing parakeet? It could be someone's dearly beloved bird and they might be emotionally devastated to find it flew away.

I found a parakeet too, years ago, and checked around. I wound up keeping it because no one notified the local avian vet or the local police that a keet was missing. He really is beautiful.

Re: I found a parakeet in my garden yesterday [Re: blumom] #403630 07/31/10 04:58 PM
Pogo Offline OP
OP Offline
I called the sheriff's department, the radio station and the vet in the area. And they haven't heard of any missing birds.

I went to town and found a cage for $25 and a couple of toys.

He/she really liked the springs of millet that I put in the cage.

Here is a video of it eating the millet. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNbWa5-LZQM

Re: I found a parakeet in my garden yesterday [Re: Pogo] #403632 07/31/10 05:20 PM
I
illusive Fantasy Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate
Platinum Star Soulmate
I
you need regular seed...millet isnt good like that...in fact its bad like that..is that cage metal also...gawd hate sounding like a ogre but metal cages are bad too very bad for what i mentioned above ...heavy metal poisoning will make a bird HORRIBLY ill and kill it...the cage needs to have whats referred to as a powder coating to it or what looks like a plastic coating to the wires...nice ring and bell toy tho...he will need cuttle bone, ..mineral block...extra food dishes...couple more perches of different sizes not the same size...at least one should be a cement/oyster shell perch so he can keep his beak and toenails filed down nice and clean...

I see some plants in your lovely house ...a lot of plants are toxic if ingested by a bird so you need to check to make sure you have no toxic house plants for when the time comes after you slowly get him ...hand/finger trained to let him out....you should also make sure you dont use ANY NON STICK COOK WARE AT ALL.

Where do you live...if in the states it wouldnt be too hard for you to try to find NON FORTIFIDE bird seed as the food coloring isnt good for them...you can find a lot of organic seeds online or in some health food stores....like golden flax and reg. barley not pearl barley and maybe even some oat/groats...but ebay has sites for whats called a basic budgie mix of three types of seed an to that also look for whats called on ebay from the same seller as i just ordered some more of ...deluxe canary seed mix and you add the two together with some of the other things i mentioned above and you have a real good beginning to a very good seed mix...

You want to keep whatever ever you order to the smallest amts like 2lbs or a smidge more that way it stays nice and fresh and when you add all the rest to it you get a good amt of seed to last you for awhile.

Veggies ..some are beet leaf tops...carrot lead tops...brocolli...snow peas...baby spinach...and you just rinse them and feed raw. If he doesnt eat right away because he isnt use to it ..but the last owner may have fed so he may go right to it...anyway just keep offering and eventually he will.

Love that table too...veryyyyyy nice....good luck

Re: I found a parakeet in my garden yesterday [Re: illusive Fantasy] #403633 07/31/10 06:01 PM
Pogo Offline OP
OP Offline
I bought a small bag of Kaytee Fiesta Mix parakeet seed. It does say "fortified" though.

Maybe I'll order some good seed online. Any recommendations?

Re: I found a parakeet in my garden yesterday [Re: Pogo] #403634 07/31/10 06:47 PM
C
cyberbud Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend
C
Kudos to you for rescuing this gorgeous bird. Illusive is quite right about the metal, the cage is cause for concern as it does not appear to be powder coated. Unfortunately many pet stores sell things that aren't safe for animals.

Many of us use millet as an occasional treat and they do love it. Rather than give a whole piece I sometimes sprinkle some seeds over a veggie. I do this just by rubbing an individual section between fingers.

Be sure to post and let us now how things are going! Have you named him?

Kathy

"Many have forgotten this truth...You remain responsible, forever, for what you have tamed."
Re: I found a parakeet in my garden yesterday [Re: cyberbud] #403635 07/31/10 06:57 PM
I
illusive Fantasy Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate
Platinum Star Soulmate
I
http://www.myspicesage.com/?main_page=search&query=red%20bell%20pepper%20flakes

Go to top left of that sites page and shop on the link that says A-Z for your spices ...its where kksuns who recommended that site to me and i shop for a lot of things for our birds and ourselves...in fact i just ordered $40 of stuff for several months of spices for my kitchen and Cappys ...giggle...ya get free shipping when you do that and it last...now for Cappy i get stuff like ...golden flax...parsley...green pepper flakes...celery flakes...fennel...anise ..jalepeno peppers...beet powder when i cant get the beet leaves which he loves...and carrot powder because he doesnt like carrots.... just to name some lol...yah yah he is spoiled...now for the deluxe canary seed mix and the basic budgie go here....

http://pet-supplies.shop.ebay.com/Food-Treats-/116494/i.html

half way down the page you will see first the deluxe canary seed mix 2 pounds and then right under it the basic budgie seed mix 2 pounds with FREE SHIPPING...we both also get our seed from them too kksuns and myself ..

You can find regular barley as mentioned and oat/groats on some other sites if you want ill find them for you too later...doing some cooking at the moment ...he eats better than me but ive got to go eat myself now

P.S. as you can see if you read ingredients in most of our seeds we feed ...fortified or not ...there is plenty of millet in it already...and millet sprays sorry to say are most often rather than not ..not fresh...dusty...pieces get stuck in nares etc...plenty of treats to use instead of millet...favorite veggie or something else. Also, as kksums so often points out ..fortifide seeds only have the so called benefits on the hulls of the seeds which our birds DONT eat and the food coloring is horrible for them.

Last edited by illusive Fantasy; 07/31/10 07:45 PM.
Re: I found a parakeet in my garden yesterday [Re: illusive Fantasy] #403636 07/31/10 08:00 PM
Pogo Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks a lot for the information.

I got to reading the information that I got with my bird cage, and it says Zinc-Free coated wires. It's made by PETCO.

It doesn't actually say what the coating is though.

I'll look into ordering a stainless steel one online.

Re: I found a parakeet in my garden yesterday [Re: Pogo] #403637 07/31/10 08:17 PM
I
illusive Fantasy Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate
Platinum Star Soulmate
I
ok if its ZINC FREE COATED WIRES thats fine...just didnt look like it was coated ...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Lisa Shea 

Search

Latest Posts
Why in 2013 Abercromibie Fitch Jackets So Popular?
by Conrad John - 11/23/21 09:15 PM
What is Sustainable Leeather
by alishanathaniel - 11/21/21 11:21 PM
Assessing Your Local Tire Recycling Market
by allenlu - 11/15/21 08:21 AM
Xanax cod saturday delivery fedex
by Walgreens USA - 10/29/21 09:43 AM
Buy Modafinil 200mg Tablets Cash on Delivery
by modafinilxpills - 10/27/21 08:32 AM
Privacy Policy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!
Forum Areas

* General Discussion *

Books, TV, Movies

Da Vinci Code

Dreams

Japanese Culture

Life, Universe, Everything

Online Courses

Politics

Religious Research

Show Your Own Work

Work From Home / Writing

* Parakeets and Pets *

General Parakeet Chat

Keet Stories and Photos

Parakeet Photo Gallery

Budgie Training

Health and Medical Issues

Parakeet Breeding

In Memory Of ...

Non-Budgie Pets and Animals

Non-Budgie Animal Photos

Off-Topic for Keet Owners

Games

Animal Rights

Bird / Animal Books

Subscribe
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site