Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
keeping 2 budgies together in one cage #402598 06/24/10 01:57 PM
F
Funny Sky Offline OP
OP Offline
F
I had a budgie years ago when children were young and I was always home now kids are grown and gone and thought this would be a great time to get another. My older budgie (Sugar) was always in my kitchen and now my new one is not taking to the kitchen smells of my husband cooking.:0 I wanted Sky to be where the action is but not wanting her to get sick from smells. I have only had Sky 3 months. So now I come to the second budgie I felt bad leaving sky alone in my spare room while I was working and bought her a friend (Poppy) not sure of sex to young to tell but when I let Sky & Poppy out they bond great but not with me. Sorry this is so long but my question is do I put them in same cage or just let them enjoy their time out together. They spend a lot of time calling for each other is this a good sign?
Just want my new kids to be happy smile
Thanks

Re: keeping 2 budgies together in one cage [Re: Funny Sky] #402600 06/24/10 02:53 PM
budgielover :) Offline
It's a good thing to never leave your budgie alone but, allowing two parakeets to be together untrained... is ... well... unhealthy for the individual relationships that Poppy, Sky, and you are supposed to have. Allowing the both of them to be together first rather than be with you first has let them create a bond with each other. If you let this continue, Sky and Poppy will become better friends. The whole point of having a budgie alone with you for a couple months(meaning 5 tops) is so that you could build a strong relationship with it. Petting, touching, talking to it, and playing with it for a few minutes are all good things that can build a strong friendship.

But to answer your question...you should do neither. Do not let them be together within the first months it comes home. This can be bad for both parakeets health wise, because they come from different places and can carry different sicknesses or germs. This could cause some life threatening problems for your parakeet.

You also should not put your parakeets in the same cage as parakeets can be very territorial and will in some cases fight to the death to be the "clan leader" or to gain respect or some other thing from the other parakeet.

But, in my opinion, Sky never needed another friend but YOU. Even though you are working, she may look foreward to having you come home. But if she gets bored, while you're working... she should have enough toys that will keep her busy. If not, she could start plucking out her own feathers. THEN she will need someone else for company.

But what you need to do now is keep them in SEPERATE CAGES, AWAY FORM EACHOTHER.

And when they call to eachother, they are looking for eachother. To see if they still remain in existence. They are looking for eachother's company. But you need to keep them sepatated. In different rooms. ALL THE TIME. But for only AT LEAST 5 MONTHS. You need to keep to this for Sky as well as Poppy's own good. Tough Love is almost always the best medicine for a parakeet. You may feel bad for them but remember, THIS IS FOR THEIR OWN GOOD.

Parakeets are SOOOOOO better. END OF DISCUSSION.
Re: keeping 2 budgies together in one cage [Re: budgielover :)] #402607 06/24/10 05:47 PM
F
Funny Sky Offline OP
OP Offline
F
thank you for the reply
they are in seperate cages but have no other room but kitchen to keep one in so I will do the best I can to give one on one time with each bird and hopefully they will bond with me this way.
look forward to reading more on how to care for them on this site

Re: keeping 2 budgies together in one cage [Re: Funny Sky] #402608 06/24/10 07:49 PM
I
illusive Fantasy Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate
Platinum Star Soulmate
I
Kitchens are ***absolutely not ..a good place to keep bird cages...too much grease in air ..chemicals...toxins...and a continuous fluctuation of heat vs cool..and if it has a ceiling fan add to that drafts.

Moderated by  Lisa Shea 

Search

Latest Posts
Parakeet aggressive once I add in toys, help!
by Alex-x - 07/30/20 11:55 PM
a parakeet pair concern
by Durov - 07/11/20 11:42 AM
Privacy Policy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!
Forum Areas

* General Discussion *

Books, TV, Movies

Da Vinci Code

Dreams

Japanese Culture

Life, Universe, Everything

Online Courses

Politics

Religious Research

Show Your Own Work

Work From Home / Writing

* Parakeets and Pets *

General Parakeet Chat

Keet Stories and Photos

Parakeet Photo Gallery

Budgie Training

Health and Medical Issues

Parakeet Breeding

In Memory Of ...

Non-Budgie Pets and Animals

Non-Budgie Animal Photos

Off-Topic for Keet Owners

Games

Animal Rights

Bird / Animal Books

Subscribe
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site