LisaShea Forum Logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 10 of 12 1 2 8 9 10 11 12
Re: The Official Chi-Chi thread. Please help. [Re: kksuns] #382862 09/05/09 01:50 AM
B
baby blue Offline
Soulmate
Soulmate
B
keep trying! speaking if veggies, i'd better go and give the brat pak their bedtime chickweed and get them settling down!

baby blue
Re: The Official Chi-Chi thread. Please help. [Re: baby blue] #383087 09/05/09 11:10 PM
L
littlekaty Offline
L
I finally weaned my birds completely off seeds a few weeks ago and onto pellets. I'm trying now to incorporate fresh food in. Two of my birds came from a neglectful owner who had only fed them millet and one of the birds was quite chubby although her weight is fine now.

I had three dishes in their cage and I put pellets in one dish and seed in the other two and once they began eating pellets I bumped it up to two pellet dishes and one of seeds until it was three bowls of pellets which they now greedily eat.

Right now they have two dishes of pellets and one dish of cream of tweet that I put in this morning. It smells really yummy to me so I am hoping they will try it. I really want to broaden their diet.

Keep trying. It can be done but it takes time and patience. It took two months before my birds even tried the pellets but now six months later that's all they want.

Puff, Skittles, Bella and Maisie: My sweet little girl flock
Re: The Official Chi-Chi thread. Please help. [Re: littlekaty] #383102 09/06/09 01:07 AM
P
P&R Mom
Unregistered
P&R Mom
Unregistered
P
Originally Posted By: littlekaty
I finally weaned my birds completely off seeds a few weeks ago and onto pellets. I'm trying now to incorporate fresh food in. ... Keep trying. It can be done but it takes time and patience. It took two months before my birds even tried the pellets but now six months later that's all they want.
Congrats -- wonderful!

Re: The Official Chi-Chi thread. Please help. [Re: Anonymous] #392560 01/01/10 06:13 AM
Z
ZorkZork69 Offline OP
Companion
OP Offline
Companion
Z
She STILL won't go on my finger... She's not flying around the cage to get away but rather using aggression. Every time I violate "her personal space" she makes a noise like a chipmunk and gets ready to attack me...I tried the perch thing but she just bites the perch because she sees my hand with it...I feed her millet and she has no problem with that..

Re: The Official Chi-Chi thread. Please help. [Re: ZorkZork69] #401766 05/28/10 06:16 PM
Z
ZorkZork69 Offline OP
Companion
OP Offline
Companion
Z
A few months later...
Chi-Chi is being much more personable. Her only problem is that she still won't come out of her cage easily. The biting has stopped but she still will run around her cage and try to escape. Once she is out of the cage, she sticks to me closely and she is very affectionate and playful. I don't know if it's because she has been molting or not, but Chi-Chi has been starting the biting. She was doing this a while ago but when I took her mirror out, she was being normal again. Now she is being rambunctious again. I'm putting her on the floor so that she realizes that she needs me and hopefully she'll be good again. Her wings are not clipped and she was personable when her wings were not clipped 2 weeks ago... so..

She hangs out on the outside of her cage and chirps and sits there and just chills every once in a while and she'll fly around my room when her cage is open. I once called her from my bed and stuck out my finger for her to fly to and land on. She went around in a circle twice but missed my hand both times... Cute bird. She gets scared by EVERYTHING. She jumps and/or flies away when hearing the slightest noise. Even when it comes from me. Sudden movements as well scare her.

EDIT: to explain the biting. She has a ton of pinfeathers on her head. So she is molting. Makes sense. The only problem is, she was molting like two weeks ago. Do birds molt often?

Last edited by ZorkZork69; 05/28/10 06:27 PM.
Re: The Official Chi-Chi thread. Please help. [Re: ZorkZork69] #401775 05/28/10 07:18 PM
K
kksuns Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate
Platinum Star Soulmate
K
Welll Hey ZorkZork! LOL your "a few months later" Good to see you and good to hear update on Chi-Chi.
The molting could explain why she is in a bitey mood. They sure get cranky while molting. It's very uncomfortable for them. Get her some molting supplement, it helps. And also offer warmish bathes every day, it will help soften those annoying pin feathers and help with the itchiness. That is if she likes bathes?? Either way at least offer it to her, she might suddenly take the plunge LOL Or misting if she doesn't mind it or nice wet lettuce to rub/roll on?
I don't understand what you mean by putting her on the floor so she realizes she needs you?? huh?
How often and for how long does she get out of cage time?
I think the more she gets out the friendlier and personable she will be.And also the less skittish. And if you continue to call her to come to you when you're on your bed, and reward her when she does it, either just by verbal praise- Good girl ya did it!-or with a treat of some sort, she will learn to come when called.

Re: The Official Chi-Chi thread. Please help. [Re: kksuns] #401776 05/28/10 07:28 PM
Z
ZorkZork69 Offline OP
Companion
OP Offline
Companion
Z
Like, she needs me to bring her around etc... Whatever... She has taken 1 bath that I have knowledge of and she sure enjoyed that, but I'm pretty sure that she probably won't take another one if I just presented the water to her. She doesn't like the birdbath I got her and she takes baths in her water dish.... I'll give that a try though.

She gets out of her cage a few times each day. At least for like 45 minutes each day on a minimal day. She definitely enjoys the time out.

Last edited by ZorkZork69; 05/28/10 07:57 PM.
Re: The Official Chi-Chi thread. Please help. [Re: ZorkZork69] #401781 05/28/10 08:44 PM
K
kksuns Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate
Platinum Star Soulmate
K
"Like, she needs me to bring her around etc..."
Awww she looves you! She likes being with you. That's sweet smile

If she enjoyed the one bath(and she like to bathe in her water dish crazy) , then odds are she will enjoy more. What kind/size birdbath is it? It sometimes takes trying a few different types of bowls/dishes etc before they decide on one they really like. Mine like a plain ole plastic sandwich container WITH a piece of lettuce in it. If she like lettuce or parsley or whatever try putting a piece in her bath. Splash around with your fingers and pretend it is sooo nice. LOL Maybe even flick a little water from your fingers on her..that's how I FINALLY got Ziggy interested.

Re: The Official Chi-Chi thread. Please help. [Re: kksuns] #402306 06/12/10 10:06 PM
Z
ZorkZork69 Offline OP
Companion
OP Offline
Companion
Z
She's getting more and more confident of her surroundings everyday. She has her "hang out spots" to fly off too when I take her into different rooms. Her beak has been sharp lately and she been chewing on wood to trim it down. She absolutely loves wicker wood. It seems as if she needs me less and less because she is getting braver and braver. She still resists coming out of her cage but she has fun when she comes out. I hope that results in her realizing how much fun she has when she is out of her cage. She's very indifferent to me. She'll be with me for a little bit, then she'll just fly off.

EDIT: EVERYTIME I give her a fresh cup of water, she'll jump right into it and go for a nice swim. It's so hard to get her fresh water like that. She soaked right now. I don't wanna make her air dry but then I don't wanna push her to come out and force her to dry. The water I used is a little too cold.

Last edited by ZorkZork69; 06/12/10 10:35 PM.
Re: The Official Chi-Chi thread. Please help. [Re: ZorkZork69] #402347 06/14/10 06:11 PM
Z
ZorkZork69 Offline OP
Companion
OP Offline
Companion
Z
OMG what a drastic change since the other day. Now, when I leave her alone and the doors open in my house, she will FLY TO ME no matter where I am in the house. She is being a good bird finally! Everytime I open her cage, she comes out to play. She just flew into the computer room with me and now she flew on top of my head and she is just sitting there. She is adorable!!!

Last edited by ZorkZork69; 06/14/10 06:12 PM.
Page 10 of 12 1 2 8 9 10 11 12

Moderated by  Lisa Shea 

Search

Latest Posts
Baby Parakeet still frozen in place after 3 weeks
by PaulWunsch - 07/28/22 06:06 AM
Tips for DTF printing
by textekprinter - 07/21/22 07:14 AM
Expert NFL Survivor Pool Advice Tips Picks Week 5
by John Short, Jr - 07/18/22 07:13 AM
Privacy Policy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!
Forum Areas

* General Discussion *

Books, TV, Movies

Da Vinci Code

Dreams

Japanese Culture

Life, Universe, Everything

Online Courses

Politics

Religious Research

Show Your Own Work

Work From Home / Writing

* Parakeets and Pets *

General Parakeet Chat

Keet Stories and Photos

Parakeet Photo Gallery

Budgie Training

Health and Medical Issues

Parakeet Breeding

In Memory Of ...

Non-Budgie Pets and Animals

Non-Budgie Animal Photos

Off-Topic for Keet Owners

Games

Animal Rights

Bird / Animal Books

Subscribe
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site