Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Don't think he's sick, but we need advice #400745 05/12/10 01:49 PM
T
tgs Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Our 3-1/2 year old parakeet is normally very social. Suddenly a couple of weeks ago he backs up and freaks out if you try to get him on your finger like he is very afraid. He has the ability to go in and out of his cage and usually sits outside and will fly to our shoulder or the kitchen table when we are eating. That has totally stopped. He doesn't want to be away from the cage, but still stays usually outside on the top. Also, his feathers are not growing back as usual. The little ones with the "dots" (don't know if these have a name) haven't grown back in months and in general his feathers are thinner. Otherwise, he still talks like crazy and is playful with his toys, just doesn't want anything to do with us. Any ideas? Help!

Re: Don't think he's sick, but we need advice [Re: tgs] #400747 05/12/10 02:26 PM
Belesaria Offline
Regular
Regular
Why don't you think he's sick? If his feathers are this thin, he's either sick or not getting proper nutrition.

Re: Don't think he's sick, but we need advice [Re: Belesaria] #400753 05/12/10 03:54 PM
T
tgs Offline OP
OP Offline
T
I guess because he is as cheerful as ever, eating the same diet, playful, but just doesn't want to interact with us like he used to. His feathers are not horribly thin. I just can't figure out his sudden change in behaviour towards us.

Re: Don't think he's sick, but we need advice [Re: tgs] #400761 05/12/10 06:02 PM
tweetymom Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend
Take your bird to the avian vet right now before any symptoms are visible. They hide their illnesses really well and by the time you become aware of them, sometimes it's too late.

Even though he seems not to be sick, something is going on, and you will want to find out what.

All the time, there's cases of a birdie seeming to be well, talking and chattering and playing, till one day he's gone! Seriously.

Dinah, Tweetymom

RIP precious Merlin
7/11/1990-11/17/2009
RIP Tweetylove
5/13/2010
Rest with Merlin
Re: Don't think he's sick, but we need advice [Re: tweetymom] #400781 05/12/10 08:38 PM
I
illusive Fantasy Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate
Platinum Star Soulmate
I
poor feathering is due to lack of vitamin D and vitamin A if there is something else going on its best to see a avian vet

Re: Don't think he's sick, but we need advice [Re: illusive Fantasy] #400799 05/13/10 04:04 AM
JeanneM Offline
Long Time Friend
Long Time Friend
I do know that when a bird is not feeling right, even during a moult, he will not respond to you with his usual cheerful self.

JeanneM
Re: Don't think he's sick, but we need advice [Re: JeanneM] #400805 05/13/10 05:21 AM
tweetymom Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend
You are right Jeannie. And Illusive knows so much about birds, I would not argue with her or doubt her word on it!

But in the wild, a sick bird tends to put the whole flock in danger, so that is why they hide their illnesses, talking and playing as usual, till it's too late. In the wild, the flock may kill the sick or weak bird, because it makes the flock more visable to a preditor. (lol, I could not figure out how to spell that word!!)

It does sound like something is going on. There's no way we can tell you what though. smile

TGS, good luck. I hope you will take birdie to an avian vet and let us know how it turns out. smile

Dinah, Tweetymom

RIP precious Merlin
7/11/1990-11/17/2009
RIP Tweetylove
5/13/2010
Rest with Merlin
Re: Don't think he's sick, but we need advice [Re: tweetymom] #400968 05/15/10 08:34 PM
T
tgs Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Well, I wanted to give y'all an update. I took my sweet Pete to an avian vet this morning, thanks to the gentle nudging received here. After a thorough exam, the vet said that Pete looks heathly, had obviously been eating, stool looked "good", no masses, cere was healthy, and no mites. He thought his problem was dietary. He recommended pellets which I had not been feeding him. He said, at the least, I should put vitamin drops in his water if I wasn't going to change his diet.

His change in behaviour could be because it is breeding season and hormonal or his hormonal changes could be a result of his lack of nutrition. Who knows!? I can tell you though, the cost of the doctor visit was well worth the peace of mind. We are going out of town and our daughter was going to keep Pete with her bird and I sure didn't want him to pass something on to the other bird (or pass away in her care). Thanks for your opinions which helped me decide to get him checked out.

Re: Don't think he's sick, but we need advice [Re: tgs] #400970 05/15/10 08:42 PM
I
illusive Fantasy Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate
Platinum Star Soulmate
I
well now you still dont want your daughters bird near your bird ...birds can be carriers of disease an not show it...so if you do that ..be sure your bird and your daughters bird is kept in SEPARATE ROOMS while stayin as if being quaranteened...they should not be out together and your daughter should ALWAYS wash her hands thoroughly when she does each birds feeding and cleaning so she on her hands dont transmit anything either. YOU NEVER KNOW WITHOUT BLOOD WORK if a bird is a carrier of something...so dont risk it and make sure your daughter understands this too...

I have recommended in here getting some NEKTON-BIO for feathers its a vitamin for them...in case they are not getting the vitamins from their food that they need for good feather developement...and for you information...vets have this propensity for always saying feed pellets giggle..and pellets are good but not all will eat them and so you have to provide what they may miss in their regular diet.

There is another thread in here that i forgot who mentions ...herbal salad which is very good and yes the birds do really like it...so you do have options...

But please remember when your daughter cares for you bird she absolutely doesnt let either bird near each other during her care and understands the reasons why.

Re: Don't think he's sick, but we need advice [Re: illusive Fantasy] #400971 05/15/10 08:44 PM
I
illusive Fantasy Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate
Platinum Star Soulmate
I
P.S. here is the link for that herbal salad

www.twinbeaksaviary.com

Moderated by  Lisa Shea 

Search

Latest Posts
GARDEN FLOWERS
by ronyb - 02/24/21 12:51 PM
Yoga
by chandkumar3g - 02/04/21 02:58 PM
A Scanner Darkly!!
by EVA21SA - 02/01/21 09:45 AM
Policing
by EVA21SA - 01/31/21 08:28 AM
How many bullets?
by EVA21SA - 01/31/21 08:17 AM
Across the River is FREE
by EVA21SA - 01/29/21 09:04 AM
War and Fashion
by EVA21SA - 01/29/21 08:54 AM
Origami flower bouquets
by EVA21SA - 01/28/21 09:05 AM
NBA 2K21 unskippable ads"will probably be repaired
by Dingbest - 01/26/21 01:30 AM
So the jist of this ; Get CCB and recharge chaotic
by Dingbest - 01/26/21 01:29 AM
Privacy Policy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!
Forum Areas

* General Discussion *

Books, TV, Movies

Da Vinci Code

Dreams

Japanese Culture

Life, Universe, Everything

Online Courses

Politics

Religious Research

Show Your Own Work

Work From Home / Writing

* Parakeets and Pets *

General Parakeet Chat

Keet Stories and Photos

Parakeet Photo Gallery

Budgie Training

Health and Medical Issues

Parakeet Breeding

In Memory Of ...

Non-Budgie Pets and Animals

Non-Budgie Animal Photos

Off-Topic for Keet Owners

Games

Animal Rights

Bird / Animal Books

Subscribe
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site