Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Mineral Block and/or Vitamin Drops? #400583 05/09/10 07:08 PM
Keruru Offline OP
Regular
OP Offline
Regular
So I'm going to the pet store today to get Beck another toy or two, among other things. A lot of parakeet books I'm reading stress the importance of having a bottle of vitamin drops to put in their water as well as mineral blocks.

I'll probably end up buying a mineral block, but what do you guys think? Are both needed? Is one more important than the other or should I just skip both of them?

Re: Mineral Block and/or Vitamin Drops? [Re: Keruru] #400587 05/09/10 08:03 PM
Belesaria Offline
Regular
Regular
I've heard from someone that the vitamin drops can make the water grow bacteria faster, thereby making it more dangerous to your bird. I'm not sure how accurate that is by any means. Personally I'm getting a vitamin-rich perch meant to be gnawed on. It's about like a mineral block, but less intimidating to the bird (so I've heard).

I would definitely say that mineral block would be more important than drops, since it will help keep her beak trimmed.

Re: Mineral Block and/or Vitamin Drops? [Re: Belesaria] #400589 05/09/10 08:09 PM
I
illusive Fantasy Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate
Platinum Star Soulmate
I
use both...but you dont have to use a daily water vitamin..most important is to get a good glass water fountain to keep poops seed and whatever out of the water..and a bottle brush to scrub your water bottle. Like us if they are eating proper foods their basic nutriential intake is in the foods they eat. And dont skip on buying cuttlebone either the advantage to a mineral BLOCK and cuttlebone is you can SEE if and how much they are actually ingesting...dont forget KWIK STOP for those little emergencies that could be big ones without the Kwik stop

Re: Mineral Block and/or Vitamin Drops? [Re: illusive Fantasy] #400603 05/09/10 10:06 PM
Keruru Offline OP
Regular
OP Offline
Regular
Okay!

I've got a cuttlebone that she does chew on, and I clean her water at LEAST once a day. She doesn't usually get anything in it. I'll definately pick up both when I go.

Re: Mineral Block and/or Vitamin Drops? [Re: Keruru] #400606 05/09/10 10:25 PM
I
illusive Fantasy Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate
Platinum Star Soulmate
I
do u have a water bottle as opposed to water dish if not pick one of those up and like i said KWIK stop..(:-)

Re: Mineral Block and/or Vitamin Drops? [Re: illusive Fantasy] #400607 05/09/10 10:45 PM
Keruru Offline OP
Regular
OP Offline
Regular
I have a water dish, just because the cage came with it and has two little doors for where the food and water go. But I can pick up a bottle instead. And Kwik Stop, of course. x3

Re: Mineral Block and/or Vitamin Drops? [Re: Keruru] #400618 05/10/10 05:36 AM
tweetymom Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend
i use distilled water for my birds. There was so much trash in the water, it kept staining the dish!

I wouldn't use that daily vitamin thing in the water because after I had used something like that, you can see how GLAD they are to get a good drink of water. I mean,. they would be there next to the water dish, WAITING AND LOOKING AT ME to get that stuff out of their water dish!! lol

Dinah, Tweetymom

RIP precious Merlin
7/11/1990-11/17/2009
RIP Tweetylove
5/13/2010
Rest with Merlin
Re: Mineral Block and/or Vitamin Drops? [Re: Keruru] #400624 05/10/10 11:58 AM
F
flowergirl Offline
F
I have both and it seems to work.. I notice my keets eat both..
I have a question I hope you can help. I don't know how to post on here and find my answers from the replies... I used your name at random.. I hope even maybe you can help me and know how to find you later to get my answer. If you want.. my email address is Hollyp7@hotmail.com and I can than go and find you again after I hear from you.. I hope this is helps and helping me.. I am new to having keets and right now have lots of quesions.. I have four and now they are laying eggs and after two weeks they aren't hatching and dont know why. Mom is still laying on them though.. Daddy is master of both.. lol.. I never knew one bird can mate two and care for them

Re: Mineral Block and/or Vitamin Drops? [Re: tweetymom] #400625 05/10/10 12:19 PM
K
kksuns Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate
Platinum Star Soulmate
K
Coming in a little late here Keruru..you've probably already gone shopping huh?
Anyway,I agree with illusive that if they are receiving proper nutrition in the foods they eat, I don't think they need daily vitamins in their water. Besides now days most keet seed mixes are vitamin fortified already. I guess it's up to you whether or not u think he's getting adequate nutrition.
A mineral block is important so definitely get one of those. I've also read where iodine is an important mineral many are lacking so check mineral block ingredients and see if contains iodine.

The glass water bottles are definitely good in theory as far as keeping debris out of their water and cutting back on bacteria growth..that is IF they will drink from one.
I was so very kindly given one for my 2 lunk heads, and Zig won't touch it and LEVI likes to use it as a FOOT BATH! LOL He kicks at the little pool of water and splashes it all over making a heck of a mess! Has a grand time doing it too! He would keep at it til all the water was out if I let him. ROFL

Stainless steel feed/water cups are also more sanitary than plastic if water tube does not work for you smile

Re: Mineral Block and/or Vitamin Drops? [Re: kksuns] #400642 05/10/10 07:54 PM
Keruru Offline OP
Regular
OP Offline
Regular
Oookay guys, oh my God.

So I went to a local pet store today instead, one that I generally prefer not to go to because they're more expensive and I've heard they don't take great care of the animals. I bought a bunch of stuff, new toy, new perch, mineral block, food and water tubes. No Kwik Stop, though. They didn't have ANY medical supplies for birds, at least that I saw. I'll need to make another trip.

The scary part was that last week, my best friend was there and said one of the parakeets wasn't looking so good. So I toddled over to look at them.

Oh.
My.
God.

ALL of the birds were sick, especially the parakeets! Some (at least three or four per cage) were lying on the floor, most were just sitting on their perches with heads tucked deep into their wings. The cockatiels below them were also on the floor, but at least looked at me. I couldn't see the finches, they were up too high.

I felt SO bad for all of them! It's disgusting that they don't notice or care. What should I do? Anything?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Lisa Shea 

Search

Latest Posts
GARDEN FLOWERS
by ronyb - 02/24/21 12:51 PM
Yoga
by chandkumar3g - 02/04/21 02:58 PM
A Scanner Darkly!!
by EVA21SA - 02/01/21 09:45 AM
Policing
by EVA21SA - 01/31/21 08:28 AM
How many bullets?
by EVA21SA - 01/31/21 08:17 AM
Across the River is FREE
by EVA21SA - 01/29/21 09:04 AM
War and Fashion
by EVA21SA - 01/29/21 08:54 AM
Origami flower bouquets
by EVA21SA - 01/28/21 09:05 AM
NBA 2K21 unskippable ads"will probably be repaired
by Dingbest - 01/26/21 01:30 AM
So the jist of this ; Get CCB and recharge chaotic
by Dingbest - 01/26/21 01:29 AM
Privacy Policy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!
Forum Areas

* General Discussion *

Books, TV, Movies

Da Vinci Code

Dreams

Japanese Culture

Life, Universe, Everything

Online Courses

Politics

Religious Research

Show Your Own Work

Work From Home / Writing

* Parakeets and Pets *

General Parakeet Chat

Keet Stories and Photos

Parakeet Photo Gallery

Budgie Training

Health and Medical Issues

Parakeet Breeding

In Memory Of ...

Non-Budgie Pets and Animals

Non-Budgie Animal Photos

Off-Topic for Keet Owners

Games

Animal Rights

Bird / Animal Books

Subscribe
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site