Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
HELP ASAP... KEET CATASROPHE #398982 04/13/10 06:27 PM
M
MgateTina Offline OP
Companion
OP Offline
Companion
M
Ok, so one of my keets got out today while I was cleaning the cage, & wings ARE NOT clipped, nor are my keets hand trained... SO when Cleo got out I tried to get a towel & get him as fast as I could.. But he was frantically flying around.. I managed to grab hold of s/he, but I got bit HARD & tried to keep my grip w/o being too tight, so Cleo got away but somehow in the midst of all this ALL of Cleo's tail feathers came out... NO BLOOD on any of the feathers, & No broken blood feathers, But Cleos next frantic fly lead s/he head first into the glass door.. When I finally got Cleo (by just throwing a towel over him/her & gently scooping Cleo up & releasing back to the cage, I noticed Cleo's cere had literally peeled off, and left a small spot of blood with some clear oozing.. Also Cleo just started another molt & because Cleo is mostly whit it is easy to see the blood feathers, I see a dot of blood on his head. Main concern is the head first into window.. Sore cere, and NO tail feathers, (Cleo looks VERY VERY SHORT) I am observing, and Cleo is just sitting on a Perch with eyes closed.. Any suggestions? What about the tailfeathers, and cere... I am so upset & vet is closed til tomorrow.

Re: HELP ASAP... KEET CATASROPHE [Re: MgateTina] #398988 04/13/10 06:35 PM
M
MgateTina Offline OP
Companion
OP Offline
Companion
M
& Now sleeping with head tucked... OMG, I have a bad feeling about this. frown frown frown

Re: HELP ASAP... KEET CATASROPHE [Re: MgateTina] #398990 04/13/10 07:35 PM
I
illusive Fantasy Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate
Platinum Star Soulmate
I
LOL dont mean to laugh but you are not the first to have something like this happen and most do panic...which of course is the last thing we should do..

Seeing how they or one is in moult i suspect thats why it now has a stump butt giggle they do look funny with a stumpy butt..no blood feathers broke so that excellent...the head first into glass door is scary as sometimes they can get a concussion..they dont usually break their necks that way but concussions are a very real probablity..the cere could of been from the toweling actually as opposed to the rest of the adventure Cleo took. Id advise STRONGLY hand training as having to towel with no other option in itself can be very traumatic.

Good thing in all this issss. I believe Cleo is probably very embarrassed with herself..tail feathers will grow in when its time ..as long as there is no flowing blood everything sounds ok..the tear to the cere is maybe or maybe not to be concerned over as i cant see how bad it is...you might just call a vet and try to describe it without getting scared and be specific as to how bad it may be.

Birds manage to bang themselves most of the time an amazingly are ok..so dont panic ..and when you try to get them when they escape dont do it right away ...let them fly and settle down an stay somewhere for several minutes then try to get a long dowel perch to gather them up instead of a towel...once they get tired and i dont mean from being chased they will welcome the perch and you can walk slow toward the cage...

I think all will be well...she has head under wing that shows no neck injury and actually i think she pooped herself out..and is just resting it off now..watch to see in the days/hours ahead if she otherwise acts normal eating and drinking..but i think your ok.

Re: HELP ASAP... KEET CATASROPHE [Re: illusive Fantasy] #398994 04/13/10 08:13 PM
K
kksuns Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate
Platinum Star Soulmate
K
What a scare huh? To put it mildly.
Nothing to add to what illusive said except for maybe the next time one gets loose, rather than chasing-like illusive already said not to do- I think if you wait it out they USUALLY will eventually return to cage on their own. That is their safe haven and ..they know where the food is. smile
You should close curtains etc tho huh?

Very best of luck! I hope Cleo is ok and just tired and sore.
Let us know k??

Re: HELP ASAP... KEET CATASROPHE [Re: kksuns] #398998 04/13/10 09:15 PM
M
MgateTina Offline OP
Companion
OP Offline
Companion
M
Well with my 2 cats roaming, that alone wanted me to get Cleo back into the cage... She has been sleeping with head tucked since she returned to the cage, and when I look in, s/he lifts its head & yawns.. I'm thinking concussion.. & quite frankly nothing I can do til tomorrow.. The cere is more of like a peel of the skin, in the center between the nares, you can actually see the small piece which "peeled" It is still there, The best way to describe was literally a pin dot of blood, but where the peel of skin is it just looks shiny.. at first I thought it was oozing clear but I realized it's like raw skin, shiny.. Oh lordy.. I just hope Cleo is ok, No food or water since, just sleeping on a perch with head tucked, but balance is good, and if I go near cage s/he moves around good. So, Im just hoping this "head injury' is nothing, and she rests it off.. I can't believe this happened. I feel so bad. She is so short now too, but they are both constantly moulting (or so it seems) & those feathers came out without my even noticing til after all was said & done. I was like.. "huh... Cleo flew into the glass & shrunk" OY VEYYYY!!!!!!!!!

Re: HELP ASAP... KEET CATASROPHE [Re: MgateTina] #398999 04/13/10 09:36 PM
K
kksuns Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate
Platinum Star Soulmate
K
There have been a couple others here who got their tails accidently pulled too. And they came out ok smile Stubby butts for a bit..but fine.
More concerned over head injury tho. So far so good tho!
Keep us posted still pleeease?? lol

Had to laugh at "flew into the glass and shrunk" Oy!!!
haha

Re: HELP ASAP... KEET CATASROPHE [Re: MgateTina] #399000 04/13/10 09:39 PM
I
illusive Fantasy Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate
Platinum Star Soulmate
I
Lmao...just keep your sense of humor with this ..as i said i think it will be fine..she is shaking the cobwebs an now is like ..can someone tell me what the heck just happened lol..

Moults do last awhile ..they replace every feather they have and with my experience here with Cappy his tail and long flight feathers are the last onces being replaced...so he is almost done and he has been in moult at least a month..feathers eveeeerrrrywhere. And yup shrunk is a understatement..but it doesnt hinder their ability to fly so remain vigilant.

Again, i think Cleo is just fine and plotting her next escape already ...wont hurt tho to call the vet just to see what they think.

Re: HELP ASAP... KEET CATASROPHE [Re: illusive Fantasy] #399017 04/14/10 04:32 AM
tweetymom Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend
Everything that's been said about covers it I think. The only thing I could add is that sometimes when a budgie is scared, traumatized, etc, they will shed their tail feathers! Either way, since he is molting, they will grow back!

What a day, huh? I know it's not funny but I think we've all been there done that! He probably bonked himself silly, even if he didn't get a concussion. As for the cere, it will heal too. But I'd just call the vet just to make sure there's nothing more you should be doing. Good luck ! Be sure and send us an update! Poor Cleo, poor you! LOL

Dinah, Tweetymom

RIP precious Merlin
7/11/1990-11/17/2009
RIP Tweetylove
5/13/2010
Rest with Merlin
Re: HELP ASAP... KEET CATASROPHE [Re: tweetymom] #399029 04/14/10 11:32 AM
M
MgateTina Offline OP
Companion
OP Offline
Companion
M
WELL... After a long nights rest, CLEO IS DOING GREAT.... All morning routine back to normal, eating, chirping, going from perch to perch, nipping at Piper to get of out her way while she eats... Cere looks better, but still sore... She is just a very short keet right now!!!! Thanks everyone.. will keep you all updated. But so far so good. All seems well.. (knock on wood)

Re: HELP ASAP... KEET CATASROPHE [Re: MgateTina] #399030 04/14/10 12:11 PM
K
kksuns Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate
Platinum Star Soulmate
K
Phew...soo glad that Cleo seems to be doing well this morning, and is back to her old Cleo self.
She'll get her beautiful tail back all in good time smile
Knocking on wood here too.
And thanks for the update. It's the first thing I checked for this morn.
You might want to call vet to see if there's something you should be doing for her cere just to be on the safe side. I'm a little curious myself to find out what to do for an injured cere.
Anyway, breathing a sigh of relief here.

Feel better soon Cleo, and stop scarin your Mama like that!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Lisa Shea 

Search

Latest Posts
Buy Vilafinil 200mg Online without prescription
by Derick Cook - 09/01/21 11:22 AM
Tamiflu Flu virus Tablets
by Derick Cook - 08/30/21 12:28 PM
Buy Modafinil 200mg Tablets Cash on Delivery
by Derick Cook - 08/27/21 10:41 AM
Tapentadol Extended Release Tablets
by Derick Cook - 08/26/21 11:18 AM
Buy Modalert Online|Modalert 200mg Sleepiness Tabl
by Derick Cook - 08/24/21 12:08 PM
Purchase Generic Nuvigil Online for Sleep Apnea
by Derick Cook - 08/24/21 11:47 AM
Buy Tapentadol Online
by Derick Cook - 08/23/21 11:08 AM
Buy Artvigil 150mg online
by Derick Cook - 08/23/21 10:14 AM
Buy Eszopiclone online
by Derick Cook - 08/20/21 01:19 PM
Privacy Policy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!
Forum Areas

* General Discussion *

Books, TV, Movies

Da Vinci Code

Dreams

Japanese Culture

Life, Universe, Everything

Online Courses

Politics

Religious Research

Show Your Own Work

Work From Home / Writing

* Parakeets and Pets *

General Parakeet Chat

Keet Stories and Photos

Parakeet Photo Gallery

Budgie Training

Health and Medical Issues

Parakeet Breeding

In Memory Of ...

Non-Budgie Pets and Animals

Non-Budgie Animal Photos

Off-Topic for Keet Owners

Games

Animal Rights

Bird / Animal Books

Subscribe
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site