Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Thinking of buying a Keet :)? [Re: jilly] #397552 03/23/10 01:33 PM
K
kksuns Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate
Platinum Star Soulmate
K
Well Katsnkeets, if you are only worried about him/her being noisy at night....No they are not noisy at night once they are covered. After they're covered you might hear some light chitter chatter as they talk themselves to sleep, but that's usually it til morning.

BUT they can be quite noisy during the day, I think more so if more than 1 keet is involved because they talk to each other a lot. I don't mind their chatter, I actually enjoy it, but other members of my family get annoyed by it sometimes.And the louder people talk or the louder u turn up the tv..the louder they get to compete with it! LOL

Noise is not the only thing to think about tho. Keets are a lot more work to take care of than people think. Much more involved than say a cat or a dog.They need lots of time and patience from you if you want it to bond with u and ur family. Once you have earned its trust tho, they are AMAZING and sooo much more fun and interactive and SMART than they get credit for. They love to play and interact with their people flock.
Cage has to be cleaned daily, food water changed a couple times a day. They need veggies..washed, chopped,or clipped to side of cage...they need cooked foods...and LOTS of attention to be friendly, happy,healthy, and well adjusted. SO if you are only 15, a lot depends on if you are one that spends a lot of time at home..or if u are one that is on the go all the time and not home much. AND you have to make sure your parents are willing to cover vet costs when needed and buy food/pellets/toys/vegs..all the things they need if you aren't able to but them.
I do have to say that your dad is wrong...they are NOT demon birds!! LOL Quite the opposite in fact if they are shown lots of love and patience. They're a blast to watch, they love to play fetch etc with cat toys or whatever, they fly around like little kamakaze pilots once they get the lay of the land, they learn all sorts of things you'd never expect. I have found they are sooo much more than I ever expected!
So if you think you can meet all their needs..go for it. It will certainly help tho if mom and dad are on board with it all too!

Budgielover, You gave some good advice and pointers, sounds like you really love your birds and try to do right by them..but there are at least a couple I HAVE to comment on.
#15-keets need grit??? Parakeets DO NOT need grit!!! As Tweetymom pointed out it is now known that grit is actually BAD for them. It can cause crop impaction. So if you give your bird(s) grit..take it away from them!
And #10? The seed mess? They DO cause a mess..but nothing that can't be vacuumed up LOL What exactly do you mean by "the parakeet will just chew on it til gone??? They do NOT eat the hulls..and if yours do then I have no idea why! Are they getting enough to eat?? Seed hulls have to be blown off the top of the seed cup to see how much actual seed is left for them to eat. I don't know if they will eventually try to eat the hulls to if they have nothing else to eat? If you are not seeing lots of hulls then something is not right. hmmmmmm

Re: Thinking of buying a Keet :)? [Re: kksuns] #397560 03/23/10 03:41 PM
Katsnkeets Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks! I was worried about night because I have insomnia frown but during the day they can scream at the top of their little lungs as long as the're ok laugh

I am the one who is mostly home because my parents are always working long hours and night shifts frown. However I will get a second keet after I have attempted to teach this keet to talk smile.

I have already done tons o' research on this topic already, but I just couldn't find anything related to the above.

Thanks to everyone you have helped me so much! I think I'm going to get them this weekend or the next laugh

Last edited by Katsnkeets; 03/23/10 06:21 PM.

-Danny
RIP Kitty
May 2, 1999 - August 5, 2009

Hang in there, Mashka smile
Re: Thinking of buying a Keet :)? [Re: Katsnkeets] #397561 03/23/10 03:49 PM
Katsnkeets Offline OP
OP Offline
Any suggestions for names? I've no idea yet...

-Danny
RIP Kitty

Re: Thinking of buying a Keet :)? [Re: Katsnkeets] #397562 03/23/10 03:54 PM
K
kksuns Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate
Platinum Star Soulmate
K
Did you say THEM??? In all reality it is MUCH easier to train and bond with ONE at a time. Then once you've developed a strong bond get another one and work one on one with that one before introducing the two. Of course that is just MY opinion..but I'm sure others who have been there done that would probably agree.
Otherwise they are more apt to bond with each other instead of you.
Would you consider just getting one to start with?? I think it would be better for YOU and the bird smile

Names? I think you have to get him/her first and see the personality.But if you have any fav bands or band members,actors..tv show or book characters you like? It's a start.

Re: Thinking of buying a Keet :)? [Re: kksuns] #397567 03/23/10 06:21 PM
Katsnkeets Offline OP
OP Offline
That was my plan (getting one at a time) smile

Regarding the names- how long should it be to make it easier for the keet to remember it- like will they withstand Gaius Julius Caesar or something as simple as Bobby?

P.S. I was NOT actually going to name it Gaius Julius Caesar LOL

Last edited by Katsnkeets; 03/23/10 06:24 PM.

-Danny
RIP Kitty

Re: Thinking of buying a Keet :)? [Re: Katsnkeets] #397575 03/23/10 09:01 PM
jilly Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend
Hey, I like Gaius Julius Caesar. :-D

Jilly
LisaShea.com Forum Moderator
Frugal Living Editor at BellaOnline.com
App owner - RunPee.com - to help you find the best movie breaks smile
Re: Thinking of buying a Keet :)? [Re: jilly] #397582 03/23/10 10:15 PM
budgielover :) Offline
well ... if ur looking for good names ... just look for baby naming websites... they come up with good names.

Parakeets are SOOOOOO better. END OF DISCUSSION.
Re: Thinking of buying a Keet :)? [Re: jilly] #397583 03/23/10 10:18 PM
Katsnkeets Offline OP
OP Offline
Then I shall consider it... but will the keet remember such a long name or will I have to call it just Caesar or Julius?

-Danny
RIP Kitty

Re: Thinking of buying a Keet :)? [Re: Katsnkeets] #397584 03/23/10 10:36 PM
budgielover :) Offline
You can call him J.C. for short. but there are other good names too. You can find native American names and Jewish, or french names. But seriously ... from a voice of experience ... DO NOT GET TWO KEETS AT ONCE.I did what everyone else said not to do and I waited longer for my keets to trust me.

Parakeets are SOOOOOO better. END OF DISCUSSION.
Re: Thinking of buying a Keet :)? [Re: budgielover :)] #397585 03/23/10 11:22 PM
Katsnkeets Offline OP
OP Offline
Don't worry I won't get two at once:)
Thanks for the name suggestion though smile
Kudos budgielover for all this help I'm not as confused now!

-Danny
RIP Kitty

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Lisa Shea 

Search

Latest Posts
How to write an essay in German
by bethyy - 08/13/22 07:01 AM
So the jist of this ; Get CCB and recharge chaotic
by williamN - 08/06/22 11:23 AM
Baby Parakeet still frozen in place after 3 weeks
by PaulWunsch - 07/28/22 06:06 AM
Tips for DTF printing
by textekprinter - 07/21/22 07:14 AM
Privacy Policy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!
Forum Areas

* General Discussion *

Books, TV, Movies

Da Vinci Code

Dreams

Japanese Culture

Life, Universe, Everything

Online Courses

Politics

Religious Research

Show Your Own Work

Work From Home / Writing

* Parakeets and Pets *

General Parakeet Chat

Keet Stories and Photos

Parakeet Photo Gallery

Budgie Training

Health and Medical Issues

Parakeet Breeding

In Memory Of ...

Non-Budgie Pets and Animals

Non-Budgie Animal Photos

Off-Topic for Keet Owners

Games

Animal Rights

Bird / Animal Books

Subscribe
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site