LisaShea Forum Logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Please take to an Avian Vet! [Re: illusive Fantasy] #395041 02/04/10 12:49 AM
I
illusive Fantasy Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate
Platinum Star Soulmate
I
Irene i hope things are going well for you and your little friend..please let us know...and maybe you can try to approach your parents as i mentioned above and start now to maybe put aside a bit of money here and there and add to a emergency fund pot for any future issues..some of us have to do it this way and are not so fortunate to have a double income or steady income and money already set aside..things come up and catch us off guard..it happens..the best we can do is try our best to see that doesnt happen and ...hopefully WE learn as we go..and get better at what we do. Hopefully also in our passion and love of our pets we learn compassion. Because you are in a vulnerable situation and young and dependent upon your parents you seem to want to do what is right ..THATS something to be proud of...and i wish you well.

Re: Please take to an Avian Vet! [Re: illusive Fantasy] #395068 02/05/10 01:47 AM
K
kksuns Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate
Platinum Star Soulmate
K
Hi Irene,
How are things going with your lil buddy? Were you able to convince your parents to take him to a vet? I can only imagine what you are going through trying to do the right thing for your little one and your parents are preventing you from doing it.
It's not right for others to place blame on you and make you feel even worse. Yes we are all animal lovers here and certainly we agree that the best thing to do is go to vet. What some don't seem to realize is that it is not always possible to go to the vet, especially if you are under age, have no money and no way to get there. It is optimally your parents responsiblity to see that your little one gets the care it needs, and if they are not willing to do so it puts you in an impossible situation. It is not always black and white. In a perfect world EVERY animal would get the medical care it needs..but this world is far from perfect.
I am so sorry.
I definitely agree that your bird needs vet care, but if it is truly impossible for you to take him to vet..have you tried calling different vets for advice? Maybe even email pics you showed us? Work out payment plan?
If you really can not get vet advice or work out payment plan there is something you could at least try.
I will probably take a few bullets here for even mentioning over the counter broad spectrum antibiotics but oh well. I'm willing to take a shot or two. There are a couple products you can probably get right at pet store. Either Ornacyn or Ornacycline.http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/prod_display.cfm?c=5059+5992+16517&pcatid=16517
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=6094 I would recommend the ornacycline.
Not sure how bad off he is already, if either of those products would be strong enough at this point. But in my opinion trying SOMETHING is better than nothing at all.
I wish you the best of luck with your little guy. I know you haven't had him long, but I'm sure you love him to pieces already. Ya know, since you haven't had him long..have you tried calling the pet store where you got him, tell then he is sick, MAYBE they will pay for vet care if he was sick when you got him?

Also important to keep him warm and if respiratory illness taking him in to steamy bathroom-hot shower running, door closed, might help a little.
Let us know how things are going.

Re: Please take to an Avian Vet! [Re: kksuns] #395932 02/20/10 10:24 PM
Irene S Offline OP
OP Offline
Dear kksuns,

Thank you so much for your understanding in this situation.I very much appreciate that you looked into this and tried to understand my position.
I haven't visited this place for a while... now when I read your reply, I thought it was interesting that Ornacycline is exactly the stuff I have been using on my parakeet. I could not get him to the vet, I called everywhere I could think of, but nobody could help.I decided to go to the pet store and buy some medication with what little money I had. I believe it was some respiratory infection or something, and Ornacycline said that it worked for respiratory infections, and intestinal bacterial infections.
I also bought these vitamins you that you drop in the keet's water. I remember our friends always used them on their budgies. They said that this stuff helped their birds' beaks to be strong and smooth along with many other benefits. Their parakeets never got sick--they lived to be very old. These vitamins help prevent many illnesses.

And as for Ornacycline, I am glad to say that it has worked, and my lil budgie is doing a lot better. His nostrils are cleared up and his beak is not flaky. I still don't know how the flaky beak had anything to do with the snot, I think he may have been low on some vitamins because his nails seemed kinda weak and brittle as well.

Now since I have been adding these vitamins to his water, his beak seems smoother and his nails healthier as well.
I try feeding him fruits and vegetables, but he still can't get the hang of it. He did nibble an apple a few times--I think he'll get used to it eventually. I noticed he starts eating it when he sees I am eating it--I guess he wants me to do a taste test or something... smile

And I liked the fund advice, illusive fantasy. I will definitely start laying off some money into my lil "periquito emergency fund" in case something else comes up. I am applying several places, my sis will also be my reference back where she works. I am also gonna be finishing my Phlebotomy program next year, so I should be working soon enough smile

By the way, I finally named my parakeet--his name is Cheeky smile
and although someone here mentioned that you cannot tell the gender of a pied budgie, I'll go with "he" because I'm used to it. After all, my budgie is VERY talkative. I heard males were more talkative--on the second day I had him he began singing. I'm not denying the fact that it may be female, but at least Cheeky would fit either boy or girl laugh

And about my parents, they are actually quite understanding. It is just that my dad lost his job, and we are very uncertain about the future. To my parents, their kids are their first concern. They are a bit old-fashioned in their views, and I cannot blame them for refusing to pay an expensive veterinary bill. I grew up here where animals are adored and cared for like people, I adore animals myself. But my parents had a rather hard life, back when they were growing up,animals were a much latter priority. They do not see as much importance in them as many of us do, and they certainly will not spend more than they see necessary on an animal. They nonetheless were understanding and tried to help me with this issue. It's just we were all brought up differently. My parents are not abusive to animals nor neglectful. There is just a money limit for them. Especially when our own medical bills are hard to pay off...
Hopefully I can get that job soon and provide for my parakeet needs.

Thank you all again for your support and insight.

Last edited by Irene S; 02/20/10 10:31 PM.
Re: Please take to an Avian Vet! [Re: Irene S] #395934 02/20/10 10:31 PM
I
illusive Fantasy Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate
Platinum Star Soulmate
I
awwwwwww hon im glad you came back and let us know ..kksuns and i have discussed you and were both concerned and hoped you would come back..
Way to go your studying to draw blood ..or as a patient calls ya a vampire giggle..
Check out NEKTON irene its really good stuff for situations like you have or for breeders too with a lot of birds..i use to get the nekton S i believe and also the one with the silver label..so i can speak from personal reference not HEARSAY..
If kk or i can help in anyway please let us both know..and WELCOME BACK..

Re: Please take to an Avian Vet! [Re: illusive Fantasy] #395935 02/20/10 10:44 PM
Irene S Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks illusive fantasy,

About Nekton, do you buy it online, or are there any local petstores that carry it? I kinda checked it out right now, and there are many types of Nekton vitamins. You mentioned getting the one with the silver label, does it serve for something particular or is it just general health vitamins?
Also, is there a particular name of the nekton vitamins you use?

Re: Please take to an Avian Vet! [Re: Irene S] #395936 02/20/10 11:55 PM
K
kksuns Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate
Platinum Star Soulmate
K
Hey welcome back Irene, it is soo good to hear from you smile And AWESOME that Cheeky(love the name BTW) is doing better.
I completely understand where your parents are coming from. Times are tough for sooo many these days and their children's well being should certainly be their first priority.

Here is something else that is very beneficial in keeping your keet healthy-thus less vet bills smile http://twinbeaksaviary.com/home.html Click on Herb Salad and read about the benefits. I give it 5 stars!
If you go to the bottom of page and go to contact us, you can even email them asking for a free sample. Just tell them you have a picky bird and would like to try it before purchasing and they'll send you a sample. If Cheeky likes it-which MOST birds do, then you can buy some later. It's well worth it.

Pretty cool you're studying Phlebotomy..good for you!
LOL Vampire girl smile

Re: Please take to an Avian Vet! [Re: Irene S] #395938 02/21/10 12:00 AM
joandboys Offline
Soulmate
Soulmate
Hi Irene, It is wonderful your little pal is doing better. On the matter of you saving for vet expenses, you might want to look into Pet insurance. VIP pet insurance will let you set up payments if you have a checking account. Under $20 a month will take care of most of the expense of ER visits and some every day check up things. In the meanwhile there are a lot of online Avian sites that help you identify potential problems and decide if it absoulutely needs a vet. It is really tough when you are having financial problems. We are all here to help but as one forum member said, you may have to decide to call a vet or some agency and explain your situation to get help. I have found there are a lot of very kind and compasionate people out there.

On another note, I think you have a very sweet keet who has already bonded with you and considers you his flock mate. He is eating when you do because that is how he views you. Try brushing your hair in front of him and he will probably begin to preen also. Remember to play music when you are not around and he will feel safe and continue to be outgoing.

Cookie and Sweetie
Re: Please take to an Avian Vet! [Re: joandboys] #395950 02/21/10 01:17 AM
I
illusive Fantasy Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate
Platinum Star Soulmate
I
some larger pet stores may carry the nekton but yes its online if you cant find it and i dont give it anymore because i dont breed now and dont have to worry about my birds getting what they need or being stressed out with breeding but id suggest the nekton S to you to begin with..now i just feed foods/and seeds with no food coloring and buy separate seed combos and mix my own combinations for variety and also it allows me to ROTATE food so they dont get picky...just like our food if you get a good combination of things and do a mix they get all the vitamins and omega ..minerals etc they need..and what kksuns recommended with the herbal salad ..yep that stuff is really good..if you only one bird the small bag will go a long way..

Dont keep the bird on ornacycaline for more than whats recommended tho.

If i recall the silver label nekton is minerals the other is vitamins..but as i said id do the nekton S as its pretty well rounded.

Re: Please take to an Avian Vet! [Re: illusive Fantasy] #396025 02/21/10 09:32 PM
B
baby blue Offline
Soulmate
Soulmate
B
glad to hear the ornaclcline worked. it is a broad spectrum antibiotic and should at least be an indicator of response to an antibiotic. i have the new baby fweep on it right now, hoping that it will help, otherwise i will be going back to the shop and requesting they do something about the problem as they say the birds have been checked by a vet. i will be heartbroken if they will not but i don't want whatever it is passed to the rest of the gong show.
pleased to meet you here irene and super pleased that cheeky is doing well. (hugz) smile
ps: i would definatly say "he".

baby blue
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Lisa Shea 

Search

Latest Posts
GARDEN FLOWERS
by ronyb - 02/24/21 12:51 PM
Yoga
by chandkumar3g - 02/04/21 02:58 PM
A Scanner Darkly!!
by EVA21SA - 02/01/21 09:45 AM
Policing
by EVA21SA - 01/31/21 08:28 AM
How many bullets?
by EVA21SA - 01/31/21 08:17 AM
Across the River is FREE
by EVA21SA - 01/29/21 09:04 AM
War and Fashion
by EVA21SA - 01/29/21 08:54 AM
Origami flower bouquets
by EVA21SA - 01/28/21 09:05 AM
NBA 2K21 unskippable ads"will probably be repaired
by Dingbest - 01/26/21 01:30 AM
So the jist of this ; Get CCB and recharge chaotic
by Dingbest - 01/26/21 01:29 AM
Privacy Policy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!
Forum Areas

* General Discussion *

Books, TV, Movies

Da Vinci Code

Dreams

Japanese Culture

Life, Universe, Everything

Online Courses

Politics

Religious Research

Show Your Own Work

Work From Home / Writing

* Parakeets and Pets *

General Parakeet Chat

Keet Stories and Photos

Parakeet Photo Gallery

Budgie Training

Health and Medical Issues

Parakeet Breeding

In Memory Of ...

Non-Budgie Pets and Animals

Non-Budgie Animal Photos

Off-Topic for Keet Owners

Games

Animal Rights

Bird / Animal Books

Subscribe
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site