Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
New Family Member #395393 02/11/10 11:29 PM
K
karrabear Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Hi, I'm a new keet owner and I was just curious if there was anything special I should know or keep in mind while bringing this new addition to the family home. I have read through some of the books at the pet stores and done some research online but I still feel very new to the whole thing. I do not wish poor Tito to suffer because I'm a little clueless lol. I'm mostly just wondering if there are any special tricks or secrets to making sure shes comfortable and I'm trying not to over stress her through the whole hand taming process. Any hint, tips, tricks, or advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time! smile

Re: New Family Member [Re: karrabear] #395397 02/12/10 12:30 AM
BLR Offline
Copper Star Soulmate
Copper Star Soulmate
Welcome to the forum.
There are several things that will help you and Tito to not stress too much.

When you bring her home she will be very quiet, a little parakeet statue, for probably the first two or three days.

If you cover her cage on three sides and the top (day and night) this will help her feel more secure while she adjusts to her new home.

As far as the taming process this forum has wonderful information on that.

http://www.wineintro.com/forum/ubbthread..._NEW#Post112548

Relax, enjoy and congratulations on your new keet.

BTW - we love pictures.

Re: New Family Member [Re: BLR] #395408 02/12/10 01:35 AM
K
kksuns Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate
Platinum Star Soulmate
K
Ditto to all that BLR said and I'd also like to add that just sitting nearby and talking to them helps them get used to you and the sound of your voice. When you walk by his cage say hello smile Move slowly while changing food/water and cleaning cage..again talk to him while doing it. If you talk alot and let him know what you are doing, eventually he will associate your words with actions.
Be patient and let him adjust to his new home and surroundings before you even attempt hand taming.
Here is a link to what i think is a very informative site. If you go to "Basic Care" at the top of page you will see 1st days with ur new bird. Lots of other info there too. http://birdiemenagerie.com/#
Congrats and enjoy your new baby smile

Re: New Family Member [Re: kksuns] #395413 02/12/10 03:10 AM
K
karrabear Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Thank you very much BLR and kksuns smile I look forward to reading through the information and what I have read has been very helpful so far.

Re: New Family Member [Re: karrabear] #395416 02/12/10 04:17 AM
428pm Offline
Long Time Friend
Long Time Friend
Hi karrabear, welcome and congrats on the new little dude.

The links kksuns and BLR gave are awesome.

Got any pics of your new baby? laugh

Re: New Family Member [Re: 428pm] #395420 02/12/10 01:25 PM
K
karrabear Offline OP
OP Offline
K
I dont have any pics just yet cause shes still a bit skittish and I dont want to scare her with the flash but I hope to have some soon. smile

Re: New Family Member [Re: karrabear] #395425 02/12/10 04:09 PM
L
Love My Budgies Offline
Long Time Friend
Long Time Friend
L
Congrats on your Budgie! Would love to see a pic, perhaps try taking one without a flash? smile
I think as long as you know the basics, give your baby alot of love, time, and patience, he/she will thrive.
If yours is a youngster don't forget to offer them organic veggies, since they are more agreeable the younger they are.
Be sure to keep toxic/chemical things away from it (certain houseplants, cleansers, Febreeze, markers, glue, smoke, Teflon pans, hairdryers, etc - almost anything with a smell).
I had great success with clicker training. I love the book Getting Started Clicker Training For Birds by Melinda Johnson and highly recommend it.
Rotating toys/the cage around evey few days will make your bird more socialized, they tend not to be territorial then and it helps avoid breeding behaviors.
Good luck. Remember to have fun with your bird. The more you gently talk, play, spend time with it, it will learn to love & trust you.

Re: New Family Member [Re: Love My Budgies] #395426 02/12/10 05:50 PM
L
Luvanimalsdearly Offline
Good Friend
Good Friend
L
Yes congratulations on the new keet and welcome to the forum. Keep your keet out of drafts because even a samll one can do damage. Good luck with your new bird.

Re: New Family Member [Re: Luvanimalsdearly] #395462 02/13/10 03:53 PM
K
karrabear Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Hurray I got Tito to stand on my finger two days in a row! Lol. Sorry celebrating the small things. She still seems a bit tense and will hop off if I move my hand but one step at a time. For those who have asked pictures will be coming soon! Once again thank you for the advice everyone it has been very helpful.

Re: New Family Member [Re: karrabear] #395471 02/13/10 06:15 PM
I
illusive Fantasy Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate
Platinum Star Soulmate
I
thats not small thats a big thing and congratulations...wooohoooo

Moderated by  Lisa Shea 

Search

Latest Posts
FREE! Science Fiction Sweet Romance
by AlyssakPatterson - 06/15/21 11:25 AM
Dreaming of Losing a Pet
by Jane Pierce - 06/01/21 05:08 AM
nike kyrie 5 en soldes
by RuardGreve - 06/01/21 01:53 AM
nike pg 5 white sale
by RuardGreve - 06/01/21 01:49 AM
adidas stan smith dames lichtblauw
by RuardGreve - 06/01/21 01:47 AM
Dieser Ring aus Sterlingsilber eignet
by RuardGreve - 06/01/21 01:45 AM
Privacy Policy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!
Forum Areas

* General Discussion *

Books, TV, Movies

Da Vinci Code

Dreams

Japanese Culture

Life, Universe, Everything

Online Courses

Politics

Religious Research

Show Your Own Work

Work From Home / Writing

* Parakeets and Pets *

General Parakeet Chat

Keet Stories and Photos

Parakeet Photo Gallery

Budgie Training

Health and Medical Issues

Parakeet Breeding

In Memory Of ...

Non-Budgie Pets and Animals

Non-Budgie Animal Photos

Off-Topic for Keet Owners

Games

Animal Rights

Bird / Animal Books

Subscribe
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site