Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Weird feather! #395362 02/11/10 02:57 AM
joandboys Offline OP
Soulmate
OP Offline
Soulmate
Hi Everyone, I thought I would come on and ask if anyone has ever seen the weird kind of feather that "Cookie" grew about four months ago. It is on his long tail feather about half way down. I thought at first it was a piece of feather that got messed up and was sticking out at a angle from the rest and wasn't laying down flat and smooth. No it is actually a long single strand of the feathers that usually lay smooth and are the same length. This one is like a single strand of hair and is about 1 and 1/2 inches long and is just growing longer than all the rest of the strands of feather on his tail. I will try to get a picture of it when I get a chance. From the description, has anyone ever seen this on their keet. It kinda looks like the keet they call a feather duster but it isn't a whole feather. It is just one strand on the feather.

Cookie and Sweetie
Re: Weird feather! [Re: joandboys] #395363 02/11/10 03:03 AM
I
illusive Fantasy Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate
Platinum Star Soulmate
I
it could be a new feather and he has not preened the quill portion as yet to open it ..its really hard to figure out without a picture

Re: Weird feather! [Re: illusive Fantasy] #395364 02/11/10 03:10 AM
I
illusive Fantasy Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate
Platinum Star Soulmate
I
if you cant see the quill casing part of the feather an *if this is indeed a malformed feather this means there is a vitamin lacking to form healthy feathers ..what is the diet you feed to your bird? More important also is ..what do you KNOW your bird is actually eating.

Re: Weird feather! [Re: illusive Fantasy] #395371 02/11/10 03:37 PM
K
kksuns Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate
Platinum Star Soulmate
K
Hi Jo, long time no see smile
I have never seen a feather like you are describing. Crazy huh?
Love to see a pic if ya get a chance.

Re: Weird feather! [Re: illusive Fantasy] #395373 02/11/10 05:30 PM
joandboys Offline OP
Soulmate
OP Offline
Soulmate
Cookie gets fresh veggies and whole grain toast and fruit daily in addition to fortified bird seed and sesame seeds. Occasionally I give boiled egg and pasta as well as sweet potatoe. They love corn and fresh citrus such as orange and grapefruit. Occasionally they get strawberry and blueberry and raspberries. We also give rye bread with seeds and cherios and triskets. They love turkey but have not had that in a while. They also like apple and bananna. Swiss chard, brocolli, celery, and carrot. Fresh water two or three times daily. I ran out of pellets and need to get some but they eat harrison's. They have a very large baked enamel coated cage and are not allowed unsafe toys or metal or grit or unwashed veggies. They have never had a disease. They get annual check ups and Cookie turned 3 Feb 1st and Sweetie turned 4 July 1st.

The offending feather in question is described as follows:

If you have a single feather in your hand and you look at it it consists of strands along each side of the quill portion. Each strand has fine hairs on it the grip each other when you smooth them. One of the strands has grown abnormally long. It sticks out like a colic from the shaft and is about 1 and 1/2 inches long. It is the main long tail feather that sticks straight out of his but. It looks like the main one going down the center of the tail. Eventually it will fall out I am sure. Cookie doesn't like being messed with and he is very smart and fast so it has been hard to analize up close. When i put my hand in and he perceives I am trying to catch him he slips past me and zooms out of the cage where he will have manuvering room to fly away. It is so cute. Then he lights on something and I put him back in the cage and try again. After a few tries he sneaks past me and goes for freedom again. He can fly through a two inch hole in a split second. My observation so far is that one strand of the feather is just abnormal. The rest of their feathers are shiny and sleek and they molt regularly and become beautiful and sleek. Their feathers are healthy in every other respect.

Cookie and Sweetie
Re: Weird feather! [Re: kksuns] #395374 02/11/10 05:38 PM
joandboys Offline OP
Soulmate
OP Offline
Soulmate
Hi to you too. I have been occupied with hubbies appointments and haven't gotten on in a while. Boy this forum sure has changed.

Cookie and Sweetie
Re: Weird feather! [Re: joandboys] #395388 02/11/10 10:27 PM
I
illusive Fantasy Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate
Platinum Star Soulmate
I
giggle yes im told it has changed A LOT..and can i come live with you if your bird eats all that i want to be adopted giggle..well now if most of the tail feather seems to have the normal barbs to it that holds it smooth maybe its just a fluke..doesnt sound serious tho so not to worry much i dont believe...and gawd your doing sooooo well with him..well done

Re: Weird feather! [Re: joandboys] #395390 02/11/10 10:31 PM
BLR Offline
Copper Star Soulmate
Copper Star Soulmate
Jo - glad to see you back. I truly hope your life is going well.
Yes the forum has changed a lot. I really miss some of the old people. Once in a while some will come on. Helwa came back to let everyone know Nunu died. Pretty sad, but it was nice of her to let everyone know.

I have never seen what you are describing in Cookie's feather, but it may just be an abhorrent feather. When it falls out you should save it. grin

Re: Weird feather! [Re: BLR] #395952 02/21/10 01:51 AM
joandboys Offline OP
Soulmate
OP Offline
Soulmate
I heard about Nunu. Sad...I will save it and nice to hear from you too.

Cookie and Sweetie
Re: Weird feather! [Re: illusive Fantasy] #395953 02/21/10 01:52 AM
joandboys Offline OP
Soulmate
OP Offline
Soulmate
Thanks, I feel I have been very fortunate, with no illnesses or emergencies.

Cookie and Sweetie

Moderated by  Lisa Shea 

Search

Latest Posts
How to write an essay in German
by bethyy - 08/13/22 07:01 AM
So the jist of this ; Get CCB and recharge chaotic
by williamN - 08/06/22 11:23 AM
Baby Parakeet still frozen in place after 3 weeks
by PaulWunsch - 07/28/22 06:06 AM
Tips for DTF printing
by textekprinter - 07/21/22 07:14 AM
Privacy Policy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!
Forum Areas

* General Discussion *

Books, TV, Movies

Da Vinci Code

Dreams

Japanese Culture

Life, Universe, Everything

Online Courses

Politics

Religious Research

Show Your Own Work

Work From Home / Writing

* Parakeets and Pets *

General Parakeet Chat

Keet Stories and Photos

Parakeet Photo Gallery

Budgie Training

Health and Medical Issues

Parakeet Breeding

In Memory Of ...

Non-Budgie Pets and Animals

Non-Budgie Animal Photos

Off-Topic for Keet Owners

Games

Animal Rights

Bird / Animal Books

Subscribe
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site