Print Thread
thinking of getting a parakeet not sure. #394951 02/02/10 12:14 AM
L
linda jean Offline OP
Regular
OP Offline
Regular
L
I would like some advice from people,over the age of 20. here are the facts.I went to the pet store to buy dog food for my two poms,and saw two very pretty parakeets.now I have the parakeet bug.but there is a few things you need to know first, here they are.(1)i live in a small one bedroom apt. with my husband and two dogs (2) we live on a limited income.(3) I use a power wheelchair full time. (4) my husband smokes. as you can see I have a few doubts, so should I get these parakeets or just let the thought go? I'm also afraid I will run over the bird or birds if they are on the floor. the dogs may also harm the bird or birds if they are loose, being they bark at them outside. the good thing is I'm home all day,so they wouldn't be alone.any advice is welcome.thank-you. Linda Jean

Re: thinking of getting a parakeet not sure. [Re: linda jean] #394952 02/02/10 12:37 AM
Barak Offline
Regular
Regular
I doubt that smoking is good for them. The size of your apartment really doesn't matter that much. Birds are fairly cheap unless medical attention is necessary. I know several people in wheelchairs that have birds and noted no problems. Birds rarely go to the floor, they prefer heights. Perhaps if your husband could smoke outside there would be NO problem.

Re: thinking of getting a parakeet not sure. [Re: Barak] #394961 02/02/10 02:20 AM
C
cyberbud Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend
C
Cigarette smoke is definitely not good for them. Dog saliva is toxic, so should your dogs ever lick a bird or worse it could be deadly.

It's true keeters can be relatively inexpensive to keep. Those vet bills though can really set you back. Emily once had a respiratory infection, visits, checkup, tests, medicine total was $400. Worth it? Absolutely. But avian vets are pricey and can vary depending on geographic location. You may want to call around and check with your local avian vets.

All the best!

Kathy

Last edited by cyberbud; 02/02/10 05:38 AM.

"Many have forgotten this truth...You remain responsible, forever, for what you have tamed."
Re: thinking of getting a parakeet not sure. [Re: cyberbud] #394966 02/02/10 03:14 AM
I
illusive Fantasy Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate
Platinum Star Soulmate
I
so glad your open and honest with your situation..it would seem a bit cramped to add a budgie or two..and being equally honest ..i think at this time because of that and the TWO dogs also the smoking this is not a fair or ideal situation to bring a budgie home too..to say nothing of the stress the less than optimal risk and health situations are just not condusive.

Re: thinking of getting a parakeet not sure. [Re: illusive Fantasy] #394976 02/02/10 07:04 AM
ParakeetGirl Offline
I sadly must agree with illusive Fantasy. My parakeets LOVE to wonder on the floor when they are out and my three sisters and I have to be extra careful! So I can just imagine what it would be like to have a wheel chair and two dogs to have to worry about. I would advise to wait until you no longer have the dogs or until you are in a house where you can set a room aside that is a strict no smoking and no dog room that you can put your keets in. Though keep in mind that smoke can travel so you may still want to ask your husband to smoke outside if you ever decide to get birds.

All creatures great and small,
The Lord God made them all.
Re: thinking of getting a parakeet not sure. [Re: linda jean] #394986 02/02/10 02:52 PM
L
Love My Budgies Offline
Long Time Friend
Long Time Friend
L
It is so nice you are taking the time to think about things before acting on a whim. So kudos to you! smile
As already said, dog saliva is toxic to birds and smoke is also toxic to their delicate respiratory systems. Being in a small apartment may also be problematic for other reasons - such as if you use any type of chemicals, Teflon pans, cleansers, air fresheners, etc which are also toxic to birds.
Unfortunately it does not sound like you are in a situation to give the birds a safe home.

Re: thinking of getting a parakeet not sure. [Re: Love My Budgies] #394988 02/02/10 04:14 PM
A
Armando Offline
A
I would have to agree with the above comments. The only way around it is to have a room for the budgies and nothing else, but if that is not possible, it might not be a good idea to bring those little things home.
I am really, really sorry.

Moderated by  Lisa Shea 

Search

Latest Posts
Summit White als auch Tech Grey
by AllanMajor - 10/06/22 02:04 PM
medieval stained glass dragon
by AllanMajor - 10/05/22 12:17 PM
Health and Behavior Questions.....
by AllanMajor - 10/03/22 02:32 PM
Need To Unplug
by AllanMajor - 09/30/22 12:11 PM
Getting Your Book Published
by AllanMajor - 09/29/22 08:57 AM
CC02 Rubber standard golf club gripes
by WilliamC00 - 09/28/22 02:33 PM
GARDEN FLOWERS
by Daruka - 09/27/22 06:18 PM
God's Court
by leyibop - 09/20/22 08:41 PM
What does this dream mean?
by juniovidx - 09/08/22 12:04 PM
Privacy Policy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!
Forum Areas

* General Discussion *

Books, TV, Movies

Da Vinci Code

Dreams

Japanese Culture

Life, Universe, Everything

Online Courses

Politics

Religious Research

Show Your Own Work

Work From Home / Writing

* Parakeets and Pets *

General Parakeet Chat

Keet Stories and Photos

Parakeet Photo Gallery

Budgie Training

Health and Medical Issues

Parakeet Breeding

In Memory Of ...

Non-Budgie Pets and Animals

Non-Budgie Animal Photos

Off-Topic for Keet Owners

Games

Animal Rights

Bird / Animal Books

Subscribe
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site