LisaShea Forum Logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
I'm afraid my parakeet is sick :( #394945 02/01/10 10:09 PM
Irene S Offline OP
OP Offline
I noticed my lil guy has a sort of flaky cere, and today when looking at him closely, I noticed one of his nostrils is completely clogged with this yellow discharge :'(

I know most of you will say "take him to an avian doctor," that is what I want to do, but I'll have to ask my parents... I'm scared though, they are not really into animals to the point where they would be willing to take them to hospitals and treat illnesses, not small, inexpensive animals anyway.

My sis is having a hard time getting by financially as well, so I really don't know what to do. Usually, with our cat, if we had a question, the vet would not tell us anything, he would say, "I have to have a checkup to tell you anything" even if we described the symptoms very clearly. Usually checkups cost a lot of money, like 30-40 dollars.. a cat is one thing, I just got this bird, and nobody really cares for the lil guy in the family to the point of paying more money for him.
I train him and take care of him. The most my mom will ever do is buy some food or other necessities, because doctors' visits are usually a rip off.

I'm scared, I don't want him to get worse. I'll look more into it, and if anything, I'll ask my sis to help me with the finances. I've been trying to find a job, but people aint hiring much now a' days.

I want to take a picture of his cere, just to see what you parakeet-owners think. Maybe you know something I can do...
For instance, there are these mites that eat up the cere and beak, and I read that there is a special oil you can buy to apply to the beak and cere which will suffocate the mites and the bird will be fine. I just wanted to know, maybe there is something in my power, or maybe he will be fine.

He is molting right now, and it kinda looks like his cere is molting too, it has flakes or "layers" on it...

Please, I will appreciate your advice... smile

Re: I'm afraid my parakeet is sick :( [Re: Irene S] #394948 02/01/10 11:24 PM
L
Luvanimalsdearly Offline
Good Friend
Good Friend
L
I know what you mean about vet bills. If I were you I would call different vets and see if any will give you advice. My female keet has a crusty cere. He could be a she. How hold is your keet? Because when they are a few months old you won't know the sex for sure.

Re: I'm afraid my parakeet is sick :( [Re: Luvanimalsdearly] #394950 02/02/10 12:07 AM
I
illusive Fantasy Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate
Platinum Star Soulmate
I
people need to realize the size or value of a animal to a individual is whats in the heart not the pocketbook..just because he is a bird doesnt mean you havent grown attached to your lil friend and put less of a value on what he is to you in your life..you may want to gently try to impress upon your parents this. Its not the size of the heart in the animal but the size of the animal in the heart that brings value. Good luck..ill say a pray for you in the hopes you can approach your parents an speak to them about this in a way they understand.

Re: I'm afraid my parakeet is sick :( [Re: illusive Fantasy] #394956 02/02/10 01:16 AM
Irene S Offline OP
OP Offline
Ok, I put a link in this post of a picture I took of his beak. You can see the cere is flaky and one nostril is completely clogged. The flaky cere, I'm not sure about, because some people's budgie photos always seem to have sort of "cracks" or layers on the cere, even the healthy budgies.His flakes look a bit too flaky to me, though. And the clogged nostril does not look good at all.

Yeah, illusive Fantasy, good point. I'll try to talk to my parents about it. I called our vet today, and they said a checkup would be $36 that's WITHOUT the actual medication. frown
The disappointing thing is, we just got him. My sis is like, "you just got him, and there are already problems?"
Although I explained that when you buy a bird from a large flock, it is common that it has an infection or lil parasites like mites--that's what I read in one budgie article on diseases...

I'll do what I can, and if any of you recognize the appearance or know any helpful remedies, please tell me!

Here is the picture of my lil boy:

http://picasaweb.google.com/ireneshkur/NewFolder?authkey=Gv1sRgCMOE3LfUs8aO9QE#5433446003912698210

And in answer to your question, Luvanimalsdearly, I'm pretty sure my budgie's a boy. I think he's a few months old as some people on here also said. He has a rather prominent ring around his eyes whereas babies have eyes that are almost completely black and beedy-lookin. Also, the stripes on his head do not start from his cere as they do in baby budgies. They are faded, and there is more space between his cere and the stripes. I guess he's a pretty big boy, someone here mentioned that he looks around 5 months old.
Also, he's starting to have shades of deeper blue on his cere.

By the way, here is an article on telling the sex of baby budgies, I found it rather helpful: http://www.kiva.net/~daylight/budgie.html

Re: I'm afraid my parakeet is sick :( [Re: Irene S] #394975 02/02/10 06:52 AM
C
cyberbud Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend
C
This guy needs to see a vet...if you haven't had him long he may have come home with whatever this is. Good luck with your parents, his value is not in what he retails for but what he means to you...a friend for years and years to come.

Keep us updated!

Kathy

"Many have forgotten this truth...You remain responsible, forever, for what you have tamed."
Re: I'm afraid my parakeet is sick :( [Re: cyberbud] #394977 02/02/10 07:20 AM
I
illusive Fantasy Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate
Platinum Star Soulmate
I
he is older than five months i suspect also..and yes ..run dont walk to a vet.

Re: I'm afraid my parakeet is sick :( [Re: cyberbud] #394978 02/02/10 07:32 AM
Barak Offline
Regular
Regular
Aspergillosis, Candidiasis, cold or sinus inflamation, Pacheco's disease (PDV) are all possibilities. Only a vet can check to be sure. Some of these are very serious, even contagious. I would waste no time, most vets will work out payments if you are honest with them. You only have the life of your bird to lose.

Please take to an Avian Vet! [Re: Irene S] #394987 02/02/10 03:04 PM
L
Love My Budgies Offline
Long Time Friend
Long Time Friend
L
When you take on the responsibility of another life, no matter how small or inexpensive the creature, you need to do what is right. You need to take him to an avian Vet ASAP! I'm sorry, but it does not matter if it is expensive, if you are afraid of what your parents might say, etc. Budgies can die within 24 hours if ill. If he cannot breathe, he will die. That photo does not look good. This is why pet insurance or starting an emergency fund as soon as you even consider getting a pet is worthwhile.
Worse case scenario, can't you call the humane society, ASPCA, a pet store, your Vet and let them know your parents won't give it proper care - perhaps they could waive the fee or take him in and treat him?
Not doing anything and letting him suffer or die is cruel!
Also your bird is a pied mutation. You cannot tell the sex of a pied unless it is DNA tested. The ring around the eyes, the "bald" spot, and a pinkish blue purple cere is normal for both female & males.

Re: Please take to an Avian Vet! [Re: Love My Budgies] #395038 02/03/10 11:15 PM
C
cyberbud Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend
C
Irene,

How is your keet?

Kathy

"Many have forgotten this truth...You remain responsible, forever, for what you have tamed."
Re: Please take to an Avian Vet! [Re: cyberbud] #395040 02/04/10 12:37 AM
I
illusive Fantasy Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate
Platinum Star Soulmate
I
sometimes its not what we say but HOW we say things that makes a difference and will make lasting impressions...placing a burden of ***guilt upon someone , who for a reason is unable to do what we would consider is right, in our passion for our birds upon someone in a crisis is NOT the way to handle things. Especially someone who is dependent and respectful of their parents. It does matter to them .. it does make them feel helpless..and we must watch more carefull our words so someone who is innocent of the abililty to do or not do what we consider proper doesnt become a scaring upon them especially if the outcome is unfavorable where now there is a huge burden of guilt.. our purpose is to be more compassionate in such situations and find a suitable way to express ourselves that is encouraging and without guilt.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Lisa Shea 

Search

Latest Posts
FREE! Science Fiction Sweet Romance
by AlyssakPatterson - 06/15/21 11:25 AM
Dreaming of Losing a Pet
by Jane Pierce - 06/01/21 05:08 AM
nike kyrie 5 en soldes
by RuardGreve - 06/01/21 01:53 AM
nike pg 5 white sale
by RuardGreve - 06/01/21 01:49 AM
adidas stan smith dames lichtblauw
by RuardGreve - 06/01/21 01:47 AM
Dieser Ring aus Sterlingsilber eignet
by RuardGreve - 06/01/21 01:45 AM
Privacy Policy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!
Forum Areas

* General Discussion *

Books, TV, Movies

Da Vinci Code

Dreams

Japanese Culture

Life, Universe, Everything

Online Courses

Politics

Religious Research

Show Your Own Work

Work From Home / Writing

* Parakeets and Pets *

General Parakeet Chat

Keet Stories and Photos

Parakeet Photo Gallery

Budgie Training

Health and Medical Issues

Parakeet Breeding

In Memory Of ...

Non-Budgie Pets and Animals

Non-Budgie Animal Photos

Off-Topic for Keet Owners

Games

Animal Rights

Bird / Animal Books

Subscribe
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site