LisaShea Forum Logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
3 clutches & 4th on it's way - WHAT TO DO?!? #392837 01/04/10 08:00 PM
c00kieZ Offline OP
OP Offline
Guys i have a dilemma that i don't quite know how to fix, although i have tried many different things, i'm at my wit's end. PLEASE HELP IN ANY WAY GUYS, THANKS!

so here's the dilemma - i have a mating pair of parakeets (Sky and Thunder) and they have started mating September 2009. she laid her first clutch of eggs, a total of 6 that same month, and went on to sit on them. they were all infertile.

she continued to lay her 2nd(5 eggs) and 3rd(5 eggs) clutch, again and again they were infertile eggs. at the end of sitting on her 3rd clutch, she picked at them and threw the eggs out of the box. (that was the last week of December).

so i decided that i wanted her to stop laying, simply because im concerned about her health. since she's started laying i was concerned and i provided her w/ lots of vitamins and cuttle bones. so since she got off of her last clutch, i decided to change her cage so that her environment would be different and throw her off balance.

today would be the 8th day since i've changed her environment, and today is also the day i found the first egg to her 4th clutch on the cage floor (she haven't mated for the 4th clutch). i have since removed the egg.

please guys, ANYTHING would be helpful as long as it's a safe way to get her to stop laying eggs. unless ofcourse this is something that is normal for some birds, then should i just put her back w/ the box and let this period pass?

i should mention that i relocated her with her mate, should i leave her alone in the cage?

thnk in advance! smile

Re: 3 clutches & 4th on it's way - WHAT TO DO?!? [Re: c00kieZ] #392840 01/04/10 08:17 PM
BLR Offline
Copper Star Soulmate
Copper Star Soulmate
Talk to your avian vet. He will have some hormonal answers for you. From what I uuderstand there is a shot for those that just will not quit laying. Good luck, keep us posted. This really can't be good for her.

Re: 3 clutches & 4th on it's way - WHAT TO DO?!? [Re: BLR] #392940 01/05/10 03:12 PM
c00kieZ Offline OP
OP Offline
thnk you for the advice. i think i'll definitely be taking her to the VET soon, i'll be sure to let u guys know what's going on.

Moderated by  Lisa Shea 

Search

Latest Posts
What does this dream mean?
by EVA21SA - 09/17/20 07:32 PM
Parakeet kicking other one
by Lausack - 08/31/20 10:36 AM
Privacy Policy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!
Forum Areas

* General Discussion *

Books, TV, Movies

Da Vinci Code

Dreams

Japanese Culture

Life, Universe, Everything

Online Courses

Politics

Religious Research

Show Your Own Work

Work From Home / Writing

* Parakeets and Pets *

General Parakeet Chat

Keet Stories and Photos

Parakeet Photo Gallery

Budgie Training

Health and Medical Issues

Parakeet Breeding

In Memory Of ...

Non-Budgie Pets and Animals

Non-Budgie Animal Photos

Off-Topic for Keet Owners

Games

Animal Rights

Bird / Animal Books

Subscribe
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site