Print Thread
Page 8 of 13 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 12 13
Re: Advice for a bad bird owner [Re: cyberbud] #391505 12/14/09 04:38 AM
I
illusive Fantasy Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate
Platinum Star Soulmate
I
G M Kenny its a whole like kinder than watching a egg bound hen.

Re: Advice for a bad bird owner [Re: illusive Fantasy] #391508 12/14/09 05:13 AM
C
cyberbud Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend
C
This chat brings back a memory of when I did take the mirror from Emily, thinking I was being mean leading her to think there was another bird. Em never minded me rearranging her cage and would just watch, but when I took the mirror out and walked away from the cage, she jumped onto my hand as if to say "not that one mom" I put it back.

I think like any toy if it causes a problem you should take it out but otherwise I don't see the harm.

Last edited by cyberbud; 12/14/09 05:14 AM.

"Many have forgotten this truth...You remain responsible, forever, for what you have tamed."
Re: Advice for a bad bird owner [Re: cyberbud] #391529 12/14/09 08:37 PM
G
G M Kenny Offline OP
OP Offline
G
I just put a wall mirror next to her cage, she seems scared of it

Re: Advice for a bad bird owner [Re: G M Kenny] #391531 12/14/09 09:00 PM
I
illusive Fantasy Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate
Platinum Star Soulmate
I
oh geeeeeee what...get a parakeet toy mirror not a wall mirror...sigh...make it too HER size so it doesnt seem like a GODZILLA thing..thats why they make parakeet toys...remove that wall mirror asap ..toys are cheap enough a quick stop to any pet center and you will find one cute enuf to make her little heart go pitter patter..it may take a day or two but wont be long ..but remove that wall mirror...sigh.. wink

Re: Advice for a bad bird owner [Re: illusive Fantasy] #391532 12/14/09 09:08 PM
BLR Offline
Copper Star Soulmate
Copper Star Soulmate
GM little mirrors for keets, or toys with mirrors are really cheap, a couple of dollars. My tweety has a mirror with beads accross it. She loves it and I think it was less than 3 bucks, probably less than that. If you are going to get it to help paris to not be lonely, then get a mirror that clips, or mounts on the side of the cage. That way she can stand there an talk to and kiss the little birdie in the mirror. It is really sweet to watch.

Re: Advice for a bad bird owner [Re: BLR] #391538 12/14/09 10:58 PM
G
G M Kenny Offline OP
OP Offline
G
I'll get a new bird and both of them mirrors, then after a month put them together in their new cage, also lately she sat on my finger and I took her to the cage door where normally she flies out to the room, but she flew back inside the cage. She hasn't come out to fly in a week, why?

Re: Advice for a bad bird owner [Re: G M Kenny] #391539 12/14/09 11:28 PM
I
illusive Fantasy Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate
Platinum Star Soulmate
I
ok i dont think your really understanding what many are trying to explain to you..your mind seems made up and of course thats your choice. While there are some very educated people in here trying to offer you some suggestions based on personal experiences for some reason..your not willing to trust their judgement.

You first asked about a single bird and what to do about its seemingly lack of perkiness so to say...and you stated you wanted to get her a friend thinking that was the best solution while many tried to discourage that for a very good reason and yet explain to you a way to handle your problem. Now you may simply compound that problem two fold as you still want to get another bird and now mirrors for both.

Im going to try to state this in a way that maybe more understandable for you..if you feel one bird is lonely its NOT MEAN to put a parakeet mirror in for her where she can interact with it rather than get another bird which may cause jealousy and exhibit dominance behaviour which also is not going to help. Also another bird may stimulate breeding mode which could potentially lead to even more serious problems until you decide you want to learn more about breeding and ALL the complications that could arise and the responsibility of having to potentially take care of babies. You by interacting with her and being patient as it takes a lot of time sometimes to train your friend would be a very suitable mate/friend to her to keep her happy, and not compound a stituation. If you dont have time to devote to this thats ok also as many with busy schedules dont..but as stated her by several and them giving very valid reasons also as to why they suggest certain things, a simple parakeet mirror and some patience would solve the problem you have been describing..either way a mirror or you interacting she will bond with one or the other and be very content without getting another bird till you become more familar with the mind workings of birds. Which by the way ..we ALL have had to learn through time but a lot of us didnt have the advantage that you do of getting advice from people who have gone through what your experiencing through this forum...I urge you to give all their suggestions a FAIR try and give it time. I think you will do just fine as you do seem to be a caring person wanting to do the best thing for your bird..which you will do by giving some of these suggestions a chance.

Re: Advice for a bad bird owner [Re: illusive Fantasy] #392217 12/29/09 12:17 AM
G
G M Kenny Offline OP
OP Offline
G
Is it alright if I buy a new bird and put it in the old cage? It's small but it'd only be for like two weeks, then I can move it to the big cage

Re: Advice for a bad bird owner [Re: G M Kenny] #392224 12/29/09 02:57 AM
I
illusive Fantasy Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate
Platinum Star Soulmate
I
i think you should stick with what you have and learn a lot more before getting any more birds.

Re: Advice for a bad bird owner [Re: illusive Fantasy] #392232 12/29/09 05:27 AM
C
cyberbud Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend
C
Stick with one bird. Two will compound the problem and it doesn't guarantee the first will be happier. Just the opposite could very well happen.

"Many have forgotten this truth...You remain responsible, forever, for what you have tamed."
Page 8 of 13 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 12 13

Moderated by  Lisa Shea 

Search

Latest Posts
Strive
by Mystical12 - 03/12/21 02:05 AM
Privacy Policy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!
Forum Areas

* General Discussion *

Books, TV, Movies

Da Vinci Code

Dreams

Japanese Culture

Life, Universe, Everything

Online Courses

Politics

Religious Research

Show Your Own Work

Work From Home / Writing

* Parakeets and Pets *

General Parakeet Chat

Keet Stories and Photos

Parakeet Photo Gallery

Budgie Training

Health and Medical Issues

Parakeet Breeding

In Memory Of ...

Non-Budgie Pets and Animals

Non-Budgie Animal Photos

Off-Topic for Keet Owners

Games

Animal Rights

Bird / Animal Books

Subscribe
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site