Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Is going bald normal.. #391407 12/11/09 10:36 PM
Gustafson Offline OP
Companion
OP Offline
Companion
when parakeets molt? Around her beak is starting to get quite featherless.

Re: Is going bald normal.. [Re: Gustafson] #391415 12/12/09 12:07 AM
peepers14 Offline
Great Friend
Great Friend
How old is your bird? I know that they go through a "baby" molt. I believe molting is when birds almost shed their feathers and grow new ones. I am not that knowledgeable in this topic.

I Luv Budgies!
Re: Is going bald normal.. [Re: peepers14] #391421 12/12/09 02:03 AM
I
illusive Fantasy Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate
Platinum Star Soulmate
I
molting is when every feather is replaced with new ones..i recommend misting and there is a product for misting during this time but i never used it just fed moulting food and made sure they got a good source of A & D vitamins as thats a prime source of replacement ..also misted mine a lot..they can get rather hobo looking giggle sometimes..and this is where they also love you to help with preening simply by gently rubbing /scratching their head and neck..some will also be brave enough to let you do that just under their wings a bit..altho it doesnt seem like each and every feather is replaced it is..most important thing is this...

And this is ONLY my recommendations to avoid the dreaded blood feather accident..ill remove much of the things in the cage so anything they crash into etc doesnt break one of those new feathers.,.,i use to also limit time out for same reason..moulting doesnt take that long from start to finish and if you dont like the thought of a broken blood feather i recommend this..i know it sure makes me squeemish especially after the first time i had to pull out a bleeding feather with some needle nose pliers..but thats the way to make sure it stops and doesnt reopen. Sort of like pulling a kids tooth or a tick..you get a good grip right at the base and a quick sharp yank..man o man i remember that and my hands were shaking like crazy but i just thought of the alternative and bingo in a snap of the eye i did it..and omg did i felt proud after..

Arent you all glad we dont moult...errrrrm we do actually just not the same way...

Re: Is going bald normal.. [Re: illusive Fantasy] #391423 12/12/09 02:10 AM
I
illusive Fantasy Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate
Platinum Star Soulmate
I
You know what .. just something to think about like i am at the moment for when my lil guy comes to moult is picking up a full spectrum light like the use for plants ..just a small one and it wouldnt need be on all day but thats a good way for that A & D vitiamin intake..they arent that expensive either from what i hear...and when i dont use it for my little guy i can later use for my plants during the winter..so it will sure pay for itself.

Re: Is going bald normal.. [Re: illusive Fantasy] #391427 12/12/09 07:23 AM
tweetymom Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend
That sounds like a good idea to take out a lot of the things in the cage while they're molting.

My birds have had very hard molts this year. The guy at the feed store where i shop said it was probably due to the fact that we (here in Central Texas) didn't get much of a Spring or Fall. Just bam, bam. Winter to summer and summer to fall! Most tomatoes did not do well here either. Usually the plant sets a lot of fruit in the nice days and cool nights of spring. That's when you get a lot of tomatoes. Then in the heat of summer, the blossoms drop. Sometimes they set again in fall since we usually have two complete 165 day growing seasons. But not this year!

Anyway, sorry, I digress. My birds molts usually last from 3 to 4 weeks. When I first got birds, I would freak out thinking they looked like they were on their last leg! and about to die from some terrible illness!

The Molting and Conditioning food helps them not to have such hard molts, but not this year. Poor babies, they are SO miserable and get really mean at that time. I feel so sorry for them!

Gustafson, mine never got so bald around the cere and beak. Maybe it's mites. Does the area look inflamed? Supposedly it can look really bad but it's east to treat. I will try to think of who it was that said that. Scaley mites? I should look it up. When mine had mites when I first got them, I took them to the feed and seed store, they also sell pet birds, and asked if they'd de-mite them and they did for a couple dollars each. Now I get Ivermectin from my vet, and put a tiny drop in their drinking water if it looks like they're scratching . At this point I have to say that I have no idea how they get them, since they never go outside and I do not handle any other birdies! They do live right in front of a window, so maybe they blow in there. IDK!

Last edited by tweetymom; 12/12/09 07:35 AM.

Dinah, Tweetymom

RIP precious Merlin
7/11/1990-11/17/2009
RIP Tweetylove
5/13/2010
Rest with Merlin
Re: Is going bald normal.. [Re: tweetymom] #391428 12/12/09 07:39 AM
I
illusive Fantasy Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate
Platinum Star Soulmate
I
try a full spectrum light tweety and mist them a lot. we had the same type of summer with our growing tomatoes. Id set up the light several feet away but not beyond the range of the lights effectiveness and id leave it on maybe six hours. With maybe breaking that to like three n three.

Re: Is going bald normal.. [Re: illusive Fantasy] #391429 12/12/09 07:50 AM
tweetymom Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend
I will try that as soon as I can get some lights.

So this would be to help them not have such long and miserable molts? I know these lights are beneficial, but I don't know much else about them.

Dinah, Tweetymom

RIP precious Merlin
7/11/1990-11/17/2009
RIP Tweetylove
5/13/2010
Rest with Merlin
Re: Is going bald normal.. [Re: tweetymom] #391432 12/12/09 08:38 AM
I
illusive Fantasy Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate
Platinum Star Soulmate
I
these light are the closest thing to natural sunlight for inside..used in hospitals..business offices..to say nothing of garden nurseries etc., even fish tank hood lights ..in fact if not mistaken with exception to hospitals i think it was the fish world to really kick it off first on their popularity

Re: Is going bald normal.. [Re: illusive Fantasy] #391433 12/12/09 08:39 AM
I
illusive Fantasy Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate
Platinum Star Soulmate
I
grrr hit submit by accident and wasnt done yet..they provide vital vitamins needed for health and growth and healing

Moderated by  Lisa Shea 

Search

Latest Posts
FREE! Science Fiction Sweet Romance
by AlyssakPatterson - 06/15/21 11:25 AM
Dreaming of Losing a Pet
by Jane Pierce - 06/01/21 05:08 AM
nike kyrie 5 en soldes
by RuardGreve - 06/01/21 01:53 AM
nike pg 5 white sale
by RuardGreve - 06/01/21 01:49 AM
adidas stan smith dames lichtblauw
by RuardGreve - 06/01/21 01:47 AM
Dieser Ring aus Sterlingsilber eignet
by RuardGreve - 06/01/21 01:45 AM
Privacy Policy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!
Forum Areas

* General Discussion *

Books, TV, Movies

Da Vinci Code

Dreams

Japanese Culture

Life, Universe, Everything

Online Courses

Politics

Religious Research

Show Your Own Work

Work From Home / Writing

* Parakeets and Pets *

General Parakeet Chat

Keet Stories and Photos

Parakeet Photo Gallery

Budgie Training

Health and Medical Issues

Parakeet Breeding

In Memory Of ...

Non-Budgie Pets and Animals

Non-Budgie Animal Photos

Off-Topic for Keet Owners

Games

Animal Rights

Bird / Animal Books

Subscribe
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site