Print Thread
Page 5 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 13
Re: Advice for a bad bird owner [Re: BLR] #389898 11/23/09 06:17 AM
C
cyberbud Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend
C
Well done getting Paris in her new cage!!! Use your imagination when it comes to toy placement. You can hang them from the sides, I hang some on the outside too.

A boing (spiral rope perch that sways) and rope perches are great things to save up for. They really allow for flexibility in arranging your cage.

Kathy

ps: You need to start a new thread...you're not a bad bird owner!!!!

"Many have forgotten this truth...You remain responsible, forever, for what you have tamed."
Re: Advice for a bad bird owner [Re: cyberbud] #389927 11/23/09 08:16 PM
G
G M Kenny Offline OP
OP Offline
G
Came home from school today and there were droppings on some of her lower perches smile

Also took some big toys out and she seems to like the extra space, I opened the cage today from the top so I could grab her cuttlebone and move it to the perch she's usually at, she got scared by it and flew out. But now she's been in the cage and has eaten inside it, so hopefully she'll fly back on her own now

@Kathy, she has one of those in her cage, she's barely been using it though, she uses it to get down to her food/water

Edit: Caught her because I could tell she was hungry and she wouldn't go in, now she's sitting next to her cuttlebone on the highest perch, but I don't think she has any idea what it is

Last edited by G M Kenny; 11/23/09 09:08 PM.
Re: Advice for a bad bird owner [Re: G M Kenny] #389934 11/23/09 09:23 PM
peepers14 Offline
Great Friend
Great Friend
i would not let her out for at least the next few days. give her time to calm down from being outside the cage for a while

I Luv Budgies!
Re: Advice for a bad bird owner [Re: peepers14] #389951 11/23/09 10:41 PM
C
cyberbud Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend
C
sounds like she's adjusting well. don't worry about the cuttle bone usage...its a now and again thing. They seem to know when they need it.....

Kathy

"Many have forgotten this truth...You remain responsible, forever, for what you have tamed."
Re: Advice for a bad bird owner [Re: peepers14] #389952 11/23/09 10:42 PM
I
illusive Fantasy Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate
Platinum Star Soulmate
I
love the name paris..so sophisticated giggle..yes i agree with peepers allow her to just stay and sit like a statue in that cage for several days without changing things around all the time., and dont let her out till u have her finger/hand/or perch trained so u can retrieve her again to put her back if need be..but for the time being its a lot your asking she needs to adjust to sites sounds routines and her new cage and toys THATS A LOT for a lil bird and it takes several days but she will come around if you dont keep shifting things around in her cage also.

Re: Advice for a bad bird owner [Re: illusive Fantasy] #390051 11/24/09 10:09 PM
I
illusive Fantasy Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate
Platinum Star Soulmate
I
Your gonna be a good mommy dont fret lol

Re: Advice for a bad bird owner [Re: illusive Fantasy] #390075 11/24/09 11:43 PM
peepers14 Offline
Great Friend
Great Friend
hows the keet going?

I Luv Budgies!
Re: Advice for a bad bird owner [Re: G M Kenny] #390128 11/25/09 05:13 AM
joandboys Offline
Soulmate
Soulmate
If you get the food holders that can be hung on the side of the cage you can put them anywhere. Put perches where she can perch and won't be over her food or water. Put the food and water about half way up on the side. Put your perches a little lower toward the bottom half and put a mirror on the side of the cage right where the perch is. Hang the toys near the other perches but not over the food. You also don't have to put all the toys in at once. Save some and rotate them into the cage to give her something new to play with. You can also put some of the perches on the outside if they are the screw on type. You can hang a toy on the outside near that perch for something to play with when she is on the outside of the cage.
Try to leave the center of the cage free of any hanging stuff so she can fly from perch to perch and to her food and water. This will give her flight room to exercise her wings and she will love it.

Cookie and Sweetie
Re: Advice for a bad bird owner [Re: joandboys] #390257 11/26/09 01:31 AM
G
G M Kenny Offline OP
OP Offline
G
I let her out today, she seems fine about knowing her new home, she even sits on top of the cage now, but she doesn't know how to get back in the cage, the door is pretty big but you have to kind of fly in, in her old cage she landed on the door then flew to a perch inside. I have to hold food up to her and slowly take her in, but other than that she figured out how to get to the food/water inside the cage, and she uses most of the perches and has started playing with the toys smile

Re: Advice for a bad bird owner [Re: G M Kenny] #390266 11/26/09 02:14 AM
C
cyberbud Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend
C
Emily had the same problem when she moved to her big cage. You can purchase "front porches" a little landing pad to hang on the outside of the cage. Whenever they are out I put the porch on the door!

I'm so glad to hear its all working out.

Kathy

Page 5 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 13

Moderated by  Lisa Shea 

Search

Latest Posts
Privacy Policy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!
Forum Areas

* General Discussion *

Books, TV, Movies

Da Vinci Code

Dreams

Japanese Culture

Life, Universe, Everything

Online Courses

Politics

Religious Research

Show Your Own Work

Work From Home / Writing

* Parakeets and Pets *

General Parakeet Chat

Keet Stories and Photos

Parakeet Photo Gallery

Budgie Training

Health and Medical Issues

Parakeet Breeding

In Memory Of ...

Non-Budgie Pets and Animals

Non-Budgie Animal Photos

Off-Topic for Keet Owners

Games

Animal Rights

Bird / Animal Books

Subscribe
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site