LisaShea Forum Logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Parakeets in winter [Re: Gustafson] #387218 10/26/09 06:28 PM
Kareki Offline OP
OP Offline
Okay I think I have something semi-workable lol. I bought them a little warmy nesty hut thing:
http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2751034&lmdn=Bird
but I'm not sure I can get them to go in it. Sunny ate the millet out of it and Cloud sits on top of it, but I guess they're either too afraid or not cold enough. X3
But it'll work. They get the idea, it's warm. That makes me feel better, having that. Just a heater or a warmer blanket on top made me kinda nervous for them, but this is up to them to use if they're too cold and I like that.

Re: Parakeets in winter [Re: Kareki] #387219 10/26/09 06:54 PM
K
kksuns Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate
Platinum Star Soulmate
K
I have one of those and neither of my guys will go in it. Levi will stretch reeealy far to grab millet or a toy out of it if I put something in to try to lure them in. Ziggy won't even go near it! LOL I ended up just removing it frown
So I guess you're lucky that yours will sit on it or eat out of it. LOL That's a start...hopefully one day they will be brave enough to actually go IN! smile

Re: Parakeets in winter [Re: kksuns] #387225 10/26/09 07:58 PM
P
P&R Mom
Unregistered
P&R Mom
Unregistered
P
Lol -- Pudgie wouldn't go in her snuggle huts even with millet in them! I've tried many types of huts with no success, but other people's keets often love those things...!

Re: Parakeets in winter [Re: ] #387298 10/28/09 04:08 AM
Kareki Offline OP
OP Offline
Yay Sunny likes it! laugh I peeked in my room, and he peeked around from inside the little snuggle thing! XD It was so cute, he looked like he was guilty- quickly hopped out, bopped around acting like he was never doing anything else lol.
Cloud still seems wary, but I'm sure he'll get the idea from Sunshine.

Re: Parakeets in winter [Re: Kareki] #387300 10/28/09 04:30 AM
Ziggy Offline
Companion
Companion
it says u live in cali it cant be that cold there.
im glad sunny is getting used to it

Re: Parakeets in winter [Re: Ziggy] #387311 10/28/09 12:24 PM
tweetymom Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend
I don't see why you would feel weird about putting blankets and / or heavy towels on their cage.

I use whatever I can find and they don't mind at all. Of course, I do leave some corners open and in the front I leave the bottom open about 6 inches, for fresh air. My birds don't mind at all. Yoi'd be surprised how much a blanket will keep out the cold! This is for night time. In the daytime, if it's cold, I just keep the back and part of the sides covered. They are in front of the window so I have to be very careful to keep out drafts. I keep towels at the base of the windows to keep out any cold air leaking in. I DO have double storm windows though, so not too much cold air seeps in.

Also I have a small heater that oscilates and has a thermostat, and I keep it on the lowest temp when I'm gone.

I think our keets are very adaptable and don't mind things like this as long as they are comfy. It's mainly the DRAFTS that you have to worry about. (Unless you live in a place where it's freezing and /or below that). Then I'm sure you will have worked this all out!

It would be interesting to hear how everyone deals with winter.

Dinah, Tweetymom

RIP precious Merlin
7/11/1990-11/17/2009
RIP Tweetylove
5/13/2010
Rest with Merlin
Re: Parakeets in winter [Re: Gustafson] #387322 10/28/09 04:36 PM
Coco's Mama Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate
Platinum Star Soulmate
I think I have posted this before, but at my local aviary you can watch the budgies playing in the snow if you are lucky enough, I haven't had the honour yet but the one worker says it's quite a sight.

Sudden changes in temp. are not good, like if i take someone from a warm climate and toss them out in the snow with no winter coat they'd get sick, but they change with the temp. change.

They are adaptable creatures. Smart too, if it gets too cold , they will go in a happy hut, whether they have before or not. But your home should not have drastic temp. changes anyway.

Re: Parakeets in winter [Re: tweetymom] #387327 10/28/09 06:26 PM
Kareki Offline OP
OP Offline
I don't feel weird about it, I still use a good blanket for them at night, I just prefer to have something they can control. So if they're too cold they don't have to wait for me to figure it out, they can get snuggly on their own. X3

Re: Parakeets in winter [Re: Kareki] #389472 11/18/09 12:56 AM
Kareki Offline OP
OP Offline
8D! This is why I love the happyhut.
It is quite chilly in the house right now and they both decided to snuggle in it. X3
I'm so glad they like it-- and each other! lol

Re: Parakeets in winter [Re: Kareki] #389477 11/18/09 01:20 AM
BLR Offline
Copper Star Soulmate
Copper Star Soulmate
wow how great that they both get in there together. What cute pics, thanks for sharing. I have had a happy hut for months. My guys wont go near it. That makes me want to try it again. I think I will dig it out and see if they will use it.

Looks like you have two boys so you dont have to worry about them trying to use it for a nest.

Last edited by BLR; 11/18/09 01:21 AM.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Lisa Shea 

Search

Latest Posts
levitation photo challenge
by EVA21SA - 10/31/20 07:40 AM
free will
by EVA21SA - 10/31/20 07:33 AM
Separating Two Parakeets
by Min - 10/28/20 05:51 PM
Please help
by Faeed - 10/27/20 03:23 PM
Privacy Policy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!
Forum Areas

* General Discussion *

Books, TV, Movies

Da Vinci Code

Dreams

Japanese Culture

Life, Universe, Everything

Online Courses

Politics

Religious Research

Show Your Own Work

Work From Home / Writing

* Parakeets and Pets *

General Parakeet Chat

Keet Stories and Photos

Parakeet Photo Gallery

Budgie Training

Health and Medical Issues

Parakeet Breeding

In Memory Of ...

Non-Budgie Pets and Animals

Non-Budgie Animal Photos

Off-Topic for Keet Owners

Games

Animal Rights

Bird / Animal Books

Subscribe
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site