Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Birds fighting... #389374 11/16/09 05:35 AM
A
alicyn Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Well, I hate to say that my worst fear is coming true, the birds not getting along! I separated Harper and Tennessee so that Harper would get stronger. Although Harper is getting stronger, Tennessee is almost completely normal. She is gripping with her legs, she climbs to the top of the cage, she even sits on her mirror now. I think it's awesome that she is better, but Harper will never catch up with one leg. I put Harper in the cage with Tennessee tonight and Tennessee puffed up, did the head bobbing dance while squawking. Then she was pecking at Harper's head and beak. And then she started to climb on top of Harper! I don't think that is going so well. I took Tennessee out. My boyfriend maybe thinks that they need to get used to each other again, but I don't want to do that at Harper's expense. Does anyone know whether I should separate them permanently or will Harper be ok? Do you think Tennessee could end up permanently hurting Harper? Thanks!

Re: Birds fighting... [Re: alicyn] #389381 11/16/09 06:11 AM
C
cyberbud Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend
C
Perhaps you should try to put them together in neutral territory first. Birds can be very territorial about their cages.

Good luck.

Kathy

"Many have forgotten this truth...You remain responsible, forever, for what you have tamed."
Re: Birds fighting... [Re: alicyn] #389382 11/16/09 06:18 AM
I
illusive Fantasy Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate
Platinum Star Soulmate
I
OK dont take this wrong please..but lets really look at this..whose comfort are we talking about..yours..or your birds..ie: are u being sentimental an thinking they need to be in same cage to be happy. I know i would and quite a few others would also im sure lol..however, when situations change each need to be considered. If it were u..how would u feel if you were HARPER and you had this lil overly attentive friend extending the limits of your patience? If it were me which it isnt and i realize this, i think we all need to sometimes not overthink things with our hearts and not our common sense. They can still socialize verbally and visually also without maybe Tennessee stressing out Harper and maybe even making whats not a ideal situation worse. If given time everyone will adjust nicely i believe. But, keep this going its going to make some very interesting reading and points to ponder in future so keep the thread going and give us all updates. Thanks

Re: Birds fighting... [Re: alicyn] #389387 11/16/09 02:14 PM
L
Love My Budgies Offline
Long Time Friend
Long Time Friend
L
I don't know your birds' history, however your statement,

Originally Posted By: alicyn
I put Harper in the cage with Tennessee tonight and Tennessee puffed up, did the head bobbing dance while squawking. Then she was pecking at Harper's head and beak. And then she started to climb on top of Harper!

makes me think perhaps this is their way of bonding/mating? Budgies head bob when they are excited and they get on top of each other when they want to mate. They sometimes dance to attract a mate, and squawk for multiple reasons. They peck at heads and beaks to preen, feed each other, and bond. Unless they are pulling out each other's feathers or fighting more than little squabbles here and there, they are probably doing what birds do and behaving normally.

Re: Birds fighting... [Re: Love My Budgies] #389391 11/16/09 03:54 PM
I
illusive Fantasy Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate
Platinum Star Soulmate
I
very good point ...just as u said watch for any feather pulling. Maybe they liiiiiike each other giggle

Re: Birds fighting... [Re: illusive Fantasy] #389427 11/17/09 02:49 AM
BLR Offline
Copper Star Soulmate
Copper Star Soulmate
You have a crippled bird, there is no nice way to say that. Birds are not politically correct. If a flock member is hurt or sick the rest of the flock will pick at it and hurt or kill it.

Right now Lisa is having to keep Pinto separated from keets he has been with for years because he is sick, they sence it and started picking on him.

The truth of the matter is that you will probably have to keep them separated especially since Tennessee is a girl.

They can enjoy each other from afar. Possibly try some suppervised play time on nutral territory to see how it is going.

Re: Birds fighting... [Re: BLR] #389428 11/17/09 03:31 AM
Gustafson Offline
Companion
Companion
I think you need to go with your instincts. If you try them in neutral places, and you feel they aren't getting along, and aren't improving towards each other, then you could leave them in separate cages. However, birds have to get to know new owners and new environments, and in a small flock, they have to get used to the new keet.

My keets eat at each other and squawk at each other pretty often, however, that's how they bond and play with each other. They also clean each others face. Which out of the corner of my eye looks like they're trying to each the other guys eyes. So really, your instincts are gonna be your best bet.

Re: Birds fighting... [Re: Gustafson] #389429 11/17/09 03:39 AM
BLR Offline
Copper Star Soulmate
Copper Star Soulmate
I think it is very important to keep in mind that Harper is crippled.

Re: Birds fighting... [Re: BLR] #389464 11/17/09 11:58 PM
A
alicyn Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Thank you so much for the discussion. It has given me a lot to think about and try. My main concern is that Harper had a deep wound on her beak that was from another bird most likely and I think that led up to her being so weak. That is why I'm kind of leary just letting them duke it out until they are comfortable with each other. I will try on neutral territory and go from there. Thanks again!

Moderated by  Lisa Shea 

Search

Latest Posts
FREE! Science Fiction Sweet Romance
by AlyssakPatterson - 06/15/21 11:25 AM
Dreaming of Losing a Pet
by Jane Pierce - 06/01/21 05:08 AM
nike kyrie 5 en soldes
by RuardGreve - 06/01/21 01:53 AM
nike pg 5 white sale
by RuardGreve - 06/01/21 01:49 AM
adidas stan smith dames lichtblauw
by RuardGreve - 06/01/21 01:47 AM
Dieser Ring aus Sterlingsilber eignet
by RuardGreve - 06/01/21 01:45 AM
Privacy Policy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!
Forum Areas

* General Discussion *

Books, TV, Movies

Da Vinci Code

Dreams

Japanese Culture

Life, Universe, Everything

Online Courses

Politics

Religious Research

Show Your Own Work

Work From Home / Writing

* Parakeets and Pets *

General Parakeet Chat

Keet Stories and Photos

Parakeet Photo Gallery

Budgie Training

Health and Medical Issues

Parakeet Breeding

In Memory Of ...

Non-Budgie Pets and Animals

Non-Budgie Animal Photos

Off-Topic for Keet Owners

Games

Animal Rights

Bird / Animal Books

Subscribe
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site