Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
What temperature is too cold for a parakeet? #389220 11/13/09 06:31 PM
Paulina Offline OP
Companion
OP Offline
Companion
Hey Guys! I wanted to ask what temperature is too cold for a parakeet? I have Jade for almost a year now. I got her on December the 6th last year and Ive only been through one winter with her. I can't remember how I kept her warm last year but it's really cold here and for some weird reason, in my room where I keep her it's always freezing cold. I move her around the house and she flies outside of her cage to stay warm but when I'm gone and it's raining like crazy or really cold, I get worried and I don't know how to make sure she stays warm or how to keep the temprature in my room warm. I keep the door closed and the window is closed or left a little open so fresh air goes in but it's still cold. She puffes up alot latley and I think it's too cold for her in the night and she sleeps during the day. I don't think she is sick because when she is in a warmer spot she acts fine. She eats and drinks even when it's cold but she doesn't jump around her cage if it gets too cold around her. I keep her cage covered in the night and I cover it during the day if it gets colder, but it really bugs me when she gets puffed up because I'm not sure if she is too cold or relaxed. I have a feeling that she is cold and I really want to do something about it but the heater can't be on all day and I can't figure out why it's so cold in my room when in other places of the house it is warmer. Thanks in advance to all the helpers! You guys are the best blush

Re: What temperature is too cold for a parakeet? [Re: Paulina] #389224 11/13/09 06:44 PM
L
Love My Budgies Offline
Long Time Friend
Long Time Friend
L
Budgies are from Australia, where nights in the desert drop to 50F or lower. That said, Budgies in captibity are said to live longer and healthier when kept between 64F-74F.
I keep a thermometer on their cage (but out of their reach) and another further away in the same room to monitor temps and try to keep my home at 70F.

Re: What temperature is too cold for a parakeet? [Re: Love My Budgies] #389228 11/13/09 06:56 PM
K
kksuns Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate
Platinum Star Soulmate
K
Hi Paulina, Long time no see. How have you been?
Can you get a thermometer for your room so you know exactly what temp it is? I try to keep the room my guys are in at around 70 degrees too.
What kind of heat do you have in your house? Is the heat duct/register to your room possibly not working right?
hmm Can you get an electric heater with a thermostat for your room and keep it set at at least 65 to maybe 70 degrees? I got one so that I can turn out heat down at night and it works great for keeping them warm at night. (If you do use an electric heater it has to be ceramic)A lamp, like a desk lamp, near her cage to keep her warm while she's in her cage? I do that too sometimes, esp after a bath. Or cover with an electric blanket or use a hating pad in the bottom of cage under the grate at night?
Love your avi slide show BTW smile

Re: What temperature is too cold for a parakeet? [Re: Love My Budgies] #389229 11/13/09 06:57 PM
Paulina Offline OP
Companion
OP Offline
Companion
Thanks for letting me know smile I also keep a thermoneter in my room and it's close to Jades cage.

Re: What temperature is too cold for a parakeet? [Re: Paulina] #389232 11/13/09 07:24 PM
Paulina Offline OP
Companion
OP Offline
Companion
Hey kksuns! I'm fine, thanks smile What about you?
I have a thermoneter in my room and it's close to Jades cage. She gets puffed up already at 65F so I think she's cold. The air conditioner is on heat and we turn it on when it gets really cold but when you wear warm clothes, 64F isn't so cold for me. I can get an electric heater for my room and turn it on in the night. I cover Jades cage and I do turn on the desk lamp next to her but I don't think it helps so much. Luckly, I looked every where and I just found my heating pad so I will keep it under her cage and I hope she feels warmer smile
Thanks you! laugh

Re: What temperature is too cold for a parakeet? [Re: Paulina] #389261 11/14/09 06:50 AM
Jessica Cole Offline
Great Friend
Great Friend
I got an electric heating pad from the store. (Well, my DAD got it. I mooched off of him.) Jazz's cage is domed, so I put the pad over his cage. He stays fluffed most of the time, because he is relaxed when it is on. :] It is cold where I live too. Especially in the morning! The electric heating pad times itself for about an hour, so it wouldn't be able to be on the whole day. Like everyone is saying, do the heating pad! Some people also buy big, heavy comforters! Wow! laugh Good luck! Keep your birdie warm!

Re: What temperature is too cold for a parakeet? [Re: Jessica Cole] #389262 11/14/09 07:17 AM
Paulina Offline OP
Companion
OP Offline
Companion
Thanks for the help Jessica! smile

Re: What temperature is too cold for a parakeet? [Re: Paulina] #389263 11/14/09 07:36 AM
tweetymom Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend
Hello Paulina. I use blankets at night, and on very cold days keep three sides and the top covered with them.

I put heavy towels around the window sill when it's really cold. It stops cold air from coming in, in case the insulation isn't what it should be.

BUT, it makes it pretty dark in the cage, so at night I leave a couple corners pulled open just a little bit to let in fresh air and a little bit of light.

Good luck on this. I've never used a heating pad but it sounds like a good idea. KKsuns and BLR know what they're talking about!

Dinah, Tweetymom

RIP precious Merlin
7/11/1990-11/17/2009
RIP Tweetylove
5/13/2010
Rest with Merlin
Re: What temperature is too cold for a parakeet? [Re: Jessica Cole] #389264 11/14/09 07:41 AM
tweetymom Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend
Hi Jessica. I'm not sure if puffed up = relaxed. I would check into this if I were you. Usually puffed up means there's something wrong and if birdie is puffed up a lot of the time, there could be something wrong. I'm just saying.

Maybe someone else on here will give us the benefit of their knowledge.

Dinah, Tweetymom

RIP precious Merlin
7/11/1990-11/17/2009
RIP Tweetylove
5/13/2010
Rest with Merlin
Re: What temperature is too cold for a parakeet? [Re: tweetymom] #389279 11/14/09 05:46 PM
Paulina Offline OP
Companion
OP Offline
Companion
Thank you for letting me know tweetymom! smile I never tried putting heavy towels around the window but it's worth a try.
I usually cover Jades cage exactly how you explained above so I think the heating pad, covering her cage well and putting some thick towels around the window should work =P

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Lisa Shea 

Search

Latest Posts
Frankie is sick again
by Tally - 09/24/20 01:27 AM
The Hand and The Knife
by EVA21SA - 09/18/20 07:00 PM
if I'm awake early, at least I've got some pals
by EVA21SA - 09/18/20 06:41 PM
What does this dream mean?
by EVA21SA - 09/17/20 07:32 PM
Parakeet kicking other one
by Lausack - 08/31/20 10:36 AM
Privacy Policy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!
Forum Areas

* General Discussion *

Books, TV, Movies

Da Vinci Code

Dreams

Japanese Culture

Life, Universe, Everything

Online Courses

Politics

Religious Research

Show Your Own Work

Work From Home / Writing

* Parakeets and Pets *

General Parakeet Chat

Keet Stories and Photos

Parakeet Photo Gallery

Budgie Training

Health and Medical Issues

Parakeet Breeding

In Memory Of ...

Non-Budgie Pets and Animals

Non-Budgie Animal Photos

Off-Topic for Keet Owners

Games

Animal Rights

Bird / Animal Books

Subscribe
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site