Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Fruits.. #388898 11/10/09 01:55 AM
Ziggy Offline OP
Companion
OP Offline
Companion
what kinda fruits can i give?... raspberries/blueberries/ pears?? can i give these and/ any others?

Re: Fruits.. [Re: Ziggy] #388920 11/10/09 09:02 AM
Lisa Shea Offline
True Blue Soulmate
True Blue Soulmate
The easier way to talk about fruits is to talk about the dangers. In general, any fruit you can eat, your parakeet can eat too. You want it to be *fresh* - parakeet eyes are keenly tuned to seeing "less than fresh food". You would imagine this would be useful to them in the wild smile So a food item that you thought was "so so" (like wilted lettuce) your parakeet would see as "really nasty" smile

So with that in mind, anything you would eat, cut fresh pieces into small cubes and offer that to your keet. Make it fun! Sometimes given them orange things, sometimes green things. Keets like new things to play with. Don't be discouraged if they don't eat something the first time - or fifth time. Sometimes it takes them a while to get used to a new food. Eat it yourself in front of them, show them it is yummy. That helps them learn it is tasty. Keets are very social animals and if you have something good - they want some too!

The only fruit-type to be concerned about are avocados, apple seeds and cherry seeds. Those are toxic and should be avoided.

Lisa Shea, Owner
Re: Fruits.. [Re: Lisa Shea] #388948 11/10/09 04:38 PM
Ziggy Offline OP
Companion
OP Offline
Companion
gotchu i wanted to give him some raspberries last night but wasnt sure if it was ok.
anyway he started MUNCHING down on lettuce =) after i introduced it to him yesterday

Re: Fruits.. [Re: Ziggy] #388949 11/10/09 04:45 PM
L
Love My Budgies Offline
Long Time Friend
Long Time Friend
L
Deep green or orange fruits are best for Budgies due to the Vit. A, which maintains a healthy respiratory system. Fruit pits & seeds (from apples, apricots, cherries, peaches, pears, & plums) are toxic, as is avocado. It is best to give your birds [b]organic[/b] fruits (and veggies) to avoid any pesticides that are meant to harm/kill birds to keep them away from crops. Here is a list of produce with the highest pesticide contamination (source = http://gourmetfood.about.com/od/slowfoodorganiclocal/a/organicproduce_2.htm)... 1.Nectarines – 97.3% of nectarines sampled were found to contain pesticides. 2.Celery – 94.5% of celery sampled were found to contain pesticides. 3.Pears – 94.4% of pears sampled were found to contain pesticides. 4.Peaches – 93.7% of peaches sampled were found to contain pesticides. 5.Apples – 91% of apples sampled were found to contain pesticides. 6.Cherries – 91% of cherries sampled were found to contain pesticides. 7.Strawberries – 90% of strawberries sampled were found to contain pesticides. 8.Imported Grapes – 86% of imported grapes (i.e. Chile) sampled were found to contain pesticides. 9.Spinach – 83.4% of spinach sampled were found to contain pesticides. 10.Potatoes – 79.3% of potatoes sampled were found to contain pesticides. 11.Bell Peppers – 68% of bell peppers sampled were found to contain pesticides. 12.Red Raspberries – 59% of red raspberries sampled were found to contain pesticides.

Re: Fruits.. [Re: Love My Budgies] #388959 11/10/09 07:42 PM
Ziggy Offline OP
Companion
OP Offline
Companion
thnx for the list and most of the things in my house are organic so no biggie =)
nd like i said he MUNCHED out on the lettuce today lol. i wanted to give him some raspberries or blueberries be4 i left to seattle guess gonn do it when i come back

Re: Fruits.. [Re: Ziggy] #388961 11/10/09 07:46 PM
B
baby blue Offline
Soulmate
Soulmate
B
i have to find it, but i have a link that has awsome lists for do's and dont's but also tells you why things are good or not good. eg vits, feathers etc... i will see if i can get it for you.

baby blue
Re: Fruits.. [Re: baby blue] #388967 11/10/09 08:57 PM
Lisa Shea Offline
True Blue Soulmate
True Blue Soulmate
Yes definitely Love My Budgies has an awesome point there. Both humans AND birds should be trying to eat as safe and healthy food as possible. So yes very much, for your sake and for your keet's sake, try to eat organic foods.

Lisa Shea, Owner

Moderated by  Lisa Shea 

Search

Latest Posts
Why in 2013 Abercromibie Fitch Jackets So Popular?
by Conrad John - 11/23/21 09:15 PM
What is Sustainable Leeather
by alishanathaniel - 11/21/21 11:21 PM
Assessing Your Local Tire Recycling Market
by allenlu - 11/15/21 08:21 AM
Xanax cod saturday delivery fedex
by Walgreens USA - 10/29/21 09:43 AM
Buy Modafinil 200mg Tablets Cash on Delivery
by modafinilxpills - 10/27/21 08:32 AM
Privacy Policy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!
Forum Areas

* General Discussion *

Books, TV, Movies

Da Vinci Code

Dreams

Japanese Culture

Life, Universe, Everything

Online Courses

Politics

Religious Research

Show Your Own Work

Work From Home / Writing

* Parakeets and Pets *

General Parakeet Chat

Keet Stories and Photos

Parakeet Photo Gallery

Budgie Training

Health and Medical Issues

Parakeet Breeding

In Memory Of ...

Non-Budgie Pets and Animals

Non-Budgie Animal Photos

Off-Topic for Keet Owners

Games

Animal Rights

Bird / Animal Books

Subscribe
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site