*helwa*
Unregistered

Re: woman pregnant twice at the same time [Re: ] #385349 09/24/09 05:38 PM
PDM Offline
True Blue Soulmate
True Blue Soulmate
Wow!
How amazing!

You really would think that being pregnant already would be a fairly safe form of contraception, wouldn't you?!

I hope that both babies will be ok.

Quote:
Different from identical twins or fraternal twins, the Grovenburg babies would have separate due dates and are considered to be a rare medical occurrence.
"It does really sound like this is a true case of different conception times for these children," said [Dr. Karen Boyle of the Greater Baltimore Medical Center].

Reports of superfetation, or conceiving while pregnant, are so rare that Boyle said, "There is no prevalence or incidence in the literature. I could only find about 10 reported cases."

http://www.abcnews.go.com/Health/ReproductiveHealth/twins-conceived-weeks/story?id=8656369

"The secret of success is constancy to purpose" - Benjamin Disraeli.
Re: woman pregnant twice at the same time [Re: PDM] #385376 09/24/09 09:54 PM
Gustafson Offline
Companion
Companion
We learned in my psychology class about a set of siblings in a similar predicament. Except this one was even weirder. They were only half siblings. Because genetic tests showed they each had different fathers.

Re: woman pregnant twice at the same time [Re: Gustafson] #385377 09/24/09 09:57 PM
*helwa*
Unregistered
*helwa*
Unregistered
its extremly rare in humans, as the dr said in the video only about 10 cases are known in medical texts over the last couple hundred years.

in cats its very common, and common for the babies to have a couple different fathers, we see litters like that all the time at work where all the kittens are black then you have one thats an orange tabby LOL

Re: woman pregnant twice at the same time [Re: ] #385383 09/24/09 11:00 PM
PDM Offline
True Blue Soulmate
True Blue Soulmate
Originally Posted By: *helwa*
.... in cats its very common ...

I didn't know that.

"The secret of success is constancy to purpose" - Benjamin Disraeli.
Re: woman pregnant twice at the same time [Re: PDM] #388222 11/05/09 12:52 PM
jilly Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend
How very unusual! They are going to have to come up with a new term for what exactly kind of sibling relationship that will be. Sharing the womb, but not precisely twins.

Jilly
LisaShea.com Forum Moderator
Frugal Living Editor at BellaOnline.com
App owner - RunPee.com - to help you find the best movie breaks smile
Re: woman pregnant twice at the same time [Re: jilly] #388238 11/05/09 03:00 PM
Lisa Shea Offline
True Blue Soulmate
True Blue Soulmate
It is fascinating how the human body can do things like this. There are all sorts of combinations of twins from different fathers, having triplets where two are identical twins, and more.

Lisa Shea, Owner
Re: woman pregnant twice at the same time [Re: Gustafson] #388257 11/05/09 04:13 PM
Chelle Offline
Originally Posted By: Gustafson
We learned in my psychology class about a set of siblings in a similar predicament. Except this one was even weirder. They were only half siblings. Because genetic tests showed they each had different fathers.

I was a surgical tech for a while and we had to study this case when we were going through our OB rotation.

We also had to study different types of ectopic pregnancies. Ectopic just means outside of the uterus, it is most common in the Fallopian tubes (called a "tubal pregnancy") - but can be anywhere in the abdomen. It can be very dangerous, because if the placenta "hooks" onto a major blood source (say the aorta) it can cause severe hemmorahing in the Mom. It is very rare though.

Re: woman pregnant twice at the same time [Re: Chelle] #388266 11/05/09 09:32 PM
jilly Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend
I have heard a story of a successful ectopic pregnancy where the placenta hooked into the liver.

Given this kind of situation - dire as it is, healthwise - i wonder if a man could actually carry a child. If all you need is a placenta and blood-rich organ, I can see that techniques could be worked out if a man really wanted to do be a mother.

Jilly
LisaShea.com Forum Moderator
Frugal Living Editor at BellaOnline.com
App owner - RunPee.com - to help you find the best movie breaks smile
Re: woman pregnant twice at the same time [Re: jilly] #388279 11/05/09 10:14 PM
Lisa Shea Offline
True Blue Soulmate
True Blue Soulmate
I have always wondered if people could remove an entire womb and put it into another person - even another female person. There are tons of people who don't want babies - and another ton who do want babies. If we could simply move the babies from one place to the other, everyone would be happy!

Lisa Shea, Owner
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Lisa Shea 

Search

Latest Posts
Growing my own greens for my birds question
by LA-Birds - 09/24/21 10:17 PM
Make sure you have a solid business plan
by allenlu - 09/24/21 05:51 AM
nike pg 5 white sale
by allenlu - 09/24/21 02:31 AM
Privacy Policy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!
Forum Areas

* General Discussion *

Books, TV, Movies

Da Vinci Code

Dreams

Japanese Culture

Life, Universe, Everything

Online Courses

Politics

Religious Research

Show Your Own Work

Work From Home / Writing

* Parakeets and Pets *

General Parakeet Chat

Keet Stories and Photos

Parakeet Photo Gallery

Budgie Training

Health and Medical Issues

Parakeet Breeding

In Memory Of ...

Non-Budgie Pets and Animals

Non-Budgie Animal Photos

Off-Topic for Keet Owners

Games

Animal Rights

Bird / Animal Books

Subscribe
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site