Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Tastes like...parakeet? [Re: CassandraM_89] #388006 11/04/09 08:36 PM
B
baby blue Offline
Soulmate
Soulmate
B
whatever floats your boat...? if you are not buying keets for that purpose, good. as for the inquiry regarding the "edibility" of a budgie, (i do acknowledge the "spiritual" reason you stated) a forum in which the members are devoted to their pets is probably not the best choice. there are thousands of sites out there on budgies and many of them mention the word "budgerigar" comes from the language of the austrlian aboridgal pepole and when translated to our language, litterally, means "good to eat". the use of some more tact could have been involved in the phrasing of your question and the info that the deceased animal was your pet most certainly was not nesessary. you must remember on a forum like this, one must remember that what is being asked about must be thought about very seriously before actually commiting words to post. you are entitled to your own beliefs but also must respect the sensibilities and sensitivity of others. i am sorry to hear of the loss of your pet and may she fly with the angels and may you be well. smile

baby blue
Re: Tastes like...parakeet? [Re: baby blue] #388018 11/04/09 11:44 PM
S
skipperdog Offline
Good Friend
Good Friend
S
The idea of doing that makes my stomach heave.

How could you pluck and butcher your little friend and have this make you feel better?

How about cremating your pet, and when you eventually pass away, you can have your pets ashes mixed with yours? My friend is doing this with her dogs' ashes.

Re: Tastes like...parakeet? [Re: skipperdog] #388028 11/05/09 03:04 AM
Lisa Shea Offline
True Blue Soulmate
True Blue Soulmate
Skipperdog - the poster was attempting a bit of "teen humor" with their post, thinking it would be fun to stir things up. However, as you have seen, it brought about a very helpful conversation for people who are facing the death of their parakeet and are considering meaningful ways to cope with it. Any post in a forum can create meaningful, helpful conversation if it is handled well - and that whole process is an excellent one!

Yes sometimes posts are made on purpose to "stir things up", but at other times posts are made by people from different cultures who simply do not understand the phrasing intricacies of English. So it is a very valuable skill for us all to learn, how to hear what is being said and to respond with patience and grace.

I want to add that there are some cultures in the world where eating a dead creature is the highest form of respect. So it is good for us to keep that in mind. This poster may have been joking, but it is of great value to keep an open mind. Many of us may disagree completely with the idea - but we need to have respect for those who feel this is a religious issue.

Lisa Shea, Owner
Re: Tastes like...parakeet? [Re: Lisa Shea] #388032 11/05/09 03:47 AM
C
Caribbean mom :)
Unregistered
Unregistered
C
Originally Posted By: Lisa Shea
Skipperdog - the poster was attempting a bit of "teen humor" .........
This poster may have been joking,.......

YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME???? Joking? Teen humor?? As you well know from the "other" forum you had knowledge of, this person was NOT attempting humor! They were out and out looking to tear this forum apart and were, on the other forum, belittling those members who took this post seriously!

Re: Tastes like...parakeet? [Re: ] #388033 11/05/09 03:59 AM
val313 Offline
Soulmate
Soulmate
This is a prime example of why I never visit here anymore. This site has turned into a playground full of small malicious little brats who have nothing better to do than cause trouble. I used to love coming here and talking about my birds and helping other owners with their problems. Now everything turns into a fight ... and people who actually tell the truth instead of sugar coating everything get kicked off or threatened. For example when there are times when a bird has to go to the vet. Or the rampant instances of abuse and neglect that get ignored. Heaven forbid we should call it out because we might offend someone.
I am just totally frustrated with all of this and tired of wading through pages and pages of ignorance. I had enjoyed this site up until this point and now I have better things to do than waste my time.

RIP Peeps
Re: Tastes like...parakeet? [Re: val313] #388034 11/05/09 04:06 AM
C
Unregistered
Unregistered
C
Ditto that Val!! It has been a very long time since I have even read posts here and then I come back to this?

Re: Tastes like...parakeet? [Re: ] #388041 11/05/09 04:46 AM
Lisa Shea Offline
True Blue Soulmate
True Blue Soulmate
Caribbean Mom - I am sorry that your response to my post was "YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME????". I would ask that all posts on the forum be respectful to each other. If we are going to ask to see healthy posts from new members, we have to model that behavior ourselves. Right now we are not modeling healthy behavior, and I know that we can do better.

Lisa Shea, Owner
Re: Tastes like...parakeet? [Re: ] #388042 11/05/09 04:46 AM
jilly Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend
I know that when it comes time to lose my dear dogs, I will be very much bereft. I am not sure if I will want to bury them somewhere special, or keep them in an urn near me.

I guess it's something I should give some thought to now, while I have them safe and healthy, so there is a plan i can have waiting for me later, when I am devastated by loss. Hmmmm. A painful topic, but important.

Last edited by jilly; 11/05/09 04:49 AM.

Jilly
LisaShea.com Forum Moderator
Frugal Living Editor at BellaOnline.com
App owner - RunPee.com - to help you find the best movie breaks smile
Re: Tastes like...parakeet? [Re: Lisa Shea] #388043 11/05/09 04:49 AM
Lisa Shea Offline
True Blue Soulmate
True Blue Soulmate
Val313 - I am sorry that a discussion about handling death and parakeets - which I have found some very insightful posts in - bothers you because one person made one post that you disagreed with.

Fights require two sides, I would ask everyone to keep that in mind. We are having a gentle discussion here. I am sorry that you feel hostile about the topic, and would ask why it makes you so upset that we are discussing this? Referring to posters as "small malicious little brats" is very much against the aim of having a peaceful forum and I would ask that you refrain from that. Again, if we model a lack of respect for others, we can hardly be surprised if it perpetuates. We need to model what we want to see.

Lisa Shea, Owner
Re: Tastes like...parakeet? [Re: Lisa Shea] #388044 11/05/09 04:52 AM
Lisa Shea Offline
True Blue Soulmate
True Blue Soulmate
Jilly - I think most people put off painful thoughts until it is too late - and when they are brought up they get so upset or hurt by the idea that they cannot even bear to think about it. They get filled with emotion. Wills are the same way - many people don't make wills because they do not want to think about the situation. Then, when it does arrive, they are not prepared.

Preparation for all of life can be very important. Certainly I would not think about my parakeet's death every day. However, I do allow myself to think about it calmly, and make sure I am prepared.

For example, I don't want my keets to be sick. However, I have styptic pencils, and a vet's number on hand, and other supplies in case they are sick or injured. It is better to think these things through, be able to discuss them and have a grounding.

Lisa Shea, Owner
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Lisa Shea 

Search

Latest Posts
a parakeet pair concern
by Durov - 07/11/20 11:42 AM
Please help Georgie & me!!!!!!!
by Georgie71 - 06/17/20 06:40 PM
Privacy Policy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!
Forum Areas

* General Discussion *

Books, TV, Movies

Da Vinci Code

Dreams

Japanese Culture

Life, Universe, Everything

Online Courses

Politics

Religious Research

Show Your Own Work

Work From Home / Writing

* Parakeets and Pets *

General Parakeet Chat

Keet Stories and Photos

Parakeet Photo Gallery

Budgie Training

Health and Medical Issues

Parakeet Breeding

In Memory Of ...

Non-Budgie Pets and Animals

Non-Budgie Animal Photos

Off-Topic for Keet Owners

Games

Animal Rights

Bird / Animal Books

Subscribe
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site