Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Tastes like...parakeet? #387965 11/04/09 07:20 AM
P
poultrylover09 Offline OP
OP Offline
P
Greetings all.
I am a new user. this is actually my first post. My name is Devon and i have owned my parakeet Acquaine for about 4 or 5 years now.

I came across this site while googling for some information about parakeets, and while I was here i figured I'd post a question about something I've read about before ages ago and now can't find any information on.

Is it okay to eat your parakeet (or the parakeet of anyone else for that matter)? Acquaine actually passed away recently and this is something I've always kind of wondered. I know it sounds weird...I mean, there can only be so much meat on those frail little bones, right? But I figure I can at least fit it into one of my famous homemade eggrolls.

I ask because I'm a very spiritual person. I'm having a hard time dealing with Acquaine's death and I think that this will bring closure to me. Plus, as you can tell by my name, I love poultry. It is my favorite food subgroup.

If anyone has any experience or suggestions on this matter please let me know. Thank you.

Re: Tastes like...parakeet? [Re: poultrylover09] #387966 11/04/09 07:36 AM
*helwa*
Unregistered
*helwa*
Unregistered
No.

it is not ok to eat your parakeet, or any other pet for that matter.

Let alone the ethical and moral reasons, medically speaking it is extremly unwise and unhealthy to consume any animal that died. This is why we slaughter animals rather than wait for them to die off.

Re: Tastes like...parakeet? [Re: ] #387967 11/04/09 07:48 AM
P
P&R Mom
Unregistered
P&R Mom
Unregistered
P
Perhaps troll might be tasty...

Re: Tastes like...parakeet? [Re: ] #387970 11/04/09 07:55 AM
Lisa Shea Offline
True Blue Soulmate
True Blue Soulmate
poultrylover09 -

We are aware of the forum out there which is having some fun "trolling" our forum, all because one of their members liked to swear repeatedly and was finally banned for it. It seems a waste of time to me, for people to go out and deliberately stir up trouble in other peoples' forums - surely you guys can be playing video games? I review video games for a living and can recommend several awesome PS3 and XBox 360 games that are very addictive. I'd much rather be playing a great evening of Demon's Souls than randomly posting threads in a forum and waiting to see if people get upset.

Is it really any achievement to get banned? Post some swears, someone hits a ban button. That seems rather anticlimactic. I'm sure a program could be written to do that in maybe ten minutes.

But sure, if you don't own a gaming console for some reason and are chuckling about your "cute" message about eating budgies, then that is fine, we can certainly answer your question. Did you know the name of the budgie is short for "Budgerigar" which many feel comes from the Aborigine word for "good to eat"? In Australia, budgies would fly in huge flocks. Just like native Americans would eat turkeys, Aborigines would eat budgies. If you want to stay alive in an environment, you have to draw nutrition as it is available.

However, in your case, Helwa is exactly right. If an animal dies, it is not a prime candidate for eating. Hunters in the woods shoot down healthy, prime deer - they don't look for the dead carcass of an ancient deer and put it into their truck.

Lisa Shea, Owner
Re: Tastes like...parakeet? [Re: ] #387971 11/04/09 07:56 AM
CassandraM_89 Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend
ummmmmmmmm......ummmmmmm......wow.....um........I can't think of anything to say to that....Can we make a "Weirdest questions ever asked" thread? this would fit perfectly!

Feeling inconstant would drive me insane, Flesh, to blood, to bone my love, twisted...Is It Real?
Re: Tastes like...parakeet? [Re: ] #387973 11/04/09 08:01 AM
P
poultrylover09 Offline OP
OP Offline
P
Originally Posted By: *helwa*
No.

it is not ok to eat your parakeet, or any other pet for that matter.

Let alone the ethical and moral reasons, medically speaking it is extremly unwise and unhealthy to consume any animal that died. This is why we slaughter animals rather than wait for them to die off.

Thank you. I hadn't really considered the medical aspects. I know it was a weird question but like I said, I read about it somewhere once but haven't found anything since, so I didn't know if it was something people did. And also I'm just having a really hard time dealing with my bird's death and I'm desperate to try anything that will help.

Re: Tastes like...parakeet? [Re: poultrylover09] #387975 11/04/09 08:05 AM
*helwa*
Unregistered
*helwa*
Unregistered
well eating them, to me, would be rather traumatic.

Try counseling.

Re: Tastes like...parakeet? [Re: ] #387990 11/04/09 01:47 PM
L
luv my bird
Unregistered
luv my bird
Unregistered
L
Try placing the little guy in a nice container with a few of his favorite small toys and bury him in from of your house/apt. When our boy died, we also included a nice letter explaining how much joy he brought into our lives and how he'll be missed.
I put a pretty stone where I placed him and we talk to him everyday.

Re: Tastes like...parakeet? [Re: ] #387995 11/04/09 05:22 PM
L
Love My Budgies Offline
Long Time Friend
Long Time Friend
L
Originally Posted By: luv my bird
When our boy died, we also included a nice letter explaining how much joy he brought into our lives and how he'll be missed.
I put a pretty stone where I placed him and we talk to him everyday.

Awww, that is soo sweet! So sorry your bird died, I can't imagine.
Our local funeral home is opening a pet crematory, which I think is a good idea-you can put them in a cute urn and keep them with you always.

Re: Tastes like...parakeet? [Re: Love My Budgies] #387996 11/04/09 05:46 PM
CassandraM_89 Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend
Yesterday me and my gran picked up our kitties ashes from our local vet, they put him in a real pretty lil cedar box with his name engraved on it and they gave us a certificate of cremation and a sweet lil poem with a tiny cat pendant which had a halo like a lil angel cat. it was so sweet smile now my momma has Peekaboo near her all the time

Feeling inconstant would drive me insane, Flesh, to blood, to bone my love, twisted...Is It Real?
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Lisa Shea 

Search

Latest Posts
Parakeet aggressive once I add in toys, help!
by Alex-x - 07/30/20 11:55 PM
a parakeet pair concern
by Durov - 07/11/20 11:42 AM
Privacy Policy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!
Forum Areas

* General Discussion *

Books, TV, Movies

Da Vinci Code

Dreams

Japanese Culture

Life, Universe, Everything

Online Courses

Politics

Religious Research

Show Your Own Work

Work From Home / Writing

* Parakeets and Pets *

General Parakeet Chat

Keet Stories and Photos

Parakeet Photo Gallery

Budgie Training

Health and Medical Issues

Parakeet Breeding

In Memory Of ...

Non-Budgie Pets and Animals

Non-Budgie Animal Photos

Off-Topic for Keet Owners

Games

Animal Rights

Bird / Animal Books

Subscribe
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site