LisaShea Forum Logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
food weening #387605 11/01/09 05:09 PM
rtegge Offline OP
OP Offline
I have completed a full week of weening mystique off seed onto pellets. she is now only PECKING at the pellets. will she starve herself?

Re: food weening [Re: rtegge] #387609 11/01/09 05:22 PM
K
kksuns Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate
Platinum Star Soulmate
K
Are you saying she is getting ONLY pellets?
I think it's important that they get a good quality seed mix along with the pellets. Of course there is a lot of controversy on the whole seed/pellet issue, so that is MY opinion. Besides..variety is the spice of life! LOL Just pellets would be pretty darn boring.
If she's only pecking at the pellets, I would be worried that she's not getting enough to eat.And I have heard that they can starve to death if they don't like what is being offered. Not sure how true it is, but it makes sense.

Re: food weening [Re: kksuns] #387610 11/01/09 05:27 PM
rtegge Offline OP
OP Offline
no I weened her with a mix of seed and pellets, now its just pellets. if there is a mix, she will only eat the seed, nothing else. I don't want her to eat seed anymore

Re: food weening [Re: rtegge] #387611 11/01/09 05:29 PM
rtegge Offline OP
OP Offline
I can't just give in cuz she's stubborn.. but I won't let her starve. I give her greens daily but she wants her dish and what's in there she won't eat

Re: food weening [Re: rtegge] #387612 11/01/09 05:38 PM
K
kksuns Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate
Platinum Star Soulmate
K
hmmm, but WHY don't you want her to have any seed? It's not bad for her. Yes, too much seed might not be healthy, but some seed is fine.
I think that some people offer pellets only, and then certain times of the day they give them some seed? Hopefully others will be on with more advice on that.
I feed mine seed/pellet mixed and they both eat the seed and the pellets so I don't worry too much about it. I even put just pellets in a couple treat dishes and sprinkled on their play gym and they eat them alone. I guess I'm lucky that they seem to like their pellets.

Re: food weening [Re: kksuns] #387615 11/01/09 06:29 PM
C
cyberbud Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend
C
It's tricky. My avian vet tells me keets need some seed. He recommends 80-20 diet with lots of veg & the 20 being seed.

Why not just let your keet have seed for 30 min. a day? And the rest pellets and veg.

congrats on the change over...

Kathy

"Many have forgotten this truth...You remain responsible, forever, for what you have tamed."
Re: food weening [Re: rtegge] #387618 11/01/09 06:57 PM
L
Love My Budgies Offline
Long Time Friend
Long Time Friend
L
I would keep a close eye on your bird and make sure she is actually eating. You can do this 2 ways, with a gram scale, weigh her every morning and evening, or check her droppings every few hours-if there is no solid part/green, she is not eating. I have read they can starve themselves rather quickly, so if after 1-2 days there is no green in her poop or she is losing weight, I would switch back to a seed/pellet mix, of mostly pellets, but some seed for 2 weeks, then try again. Always offer greens, veggies, and pellets in separate areas of her cage. Put pellets up top so if she is "lazy" she can get them easily. Try different pellets/brands and try mixing them.
My girls will eat pellets from hand, on their playgyms, in the separate pellet dish, but never in their "normal" food dish. Crazy Budgies! crazy grin

Re: food weening [Re: Love My Budgies] #387620 11/01/09 07:24 PM
Ziggy Offline
Companion
Companion
rtegge what worked to swith them to pelletS?

Re: food weening [Re: Ziggy] #387637 11/02/09 12:39 AM
rtegge Offline OP
OP Offline
I didn't get her to switch at all is what I am trying to say.. I'm trying to switch but she won't eat the pellets at all. thanks for the tips everyone

Re: food weening [Re: rtegge] #387643 11/02/09 02:07 AM
tealcandtina Offline
Long Time Friend
Long Time Friend
Here's the rub about pellets, they are ground up seeds with vitamins added. So they are eating seed with out the fun.
by the way, I put pellets in their bread or make whole wheat pancakes with pellets. That is the only way they will touch pellet.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Lisa Shea 

Search

Latest Posts
Privacy Policy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!
Forum Areas

* General Discussion *

Books, TV, Movies

Da Vinci Code

Dreams

Japanese Culture

Life, Universe, Everything

Online Courses

Politics

Religious Research

Show Your Own Work

Work From Home / Writing

* Parakeets and Pets *

General Parakeet Chat

Keet Stories and Photos

Parakeet Photo Gallery

Budgie Training

Health and Medical Issues

Parakeet Breeding

In Memory Of ...

Non-Budgie Pets and Animals

Non-Budgie Animal Photos

Off-Topic for Keet Owners

Games

Animal Rights

Bird / Animal Books

Subscribe
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site