Print Thread
thinking about getting another bird #386559 10/17/09 06:37 PM
L
luv my bird
Unregistered
luv my bird
Unregistered
L
Next Saturday, will be a year that Boo has been gone. I miss him more and more everyday. I decided that I didn't want to get another bird, I couldn't handle the possibility of losing another bird. I don't think I'm strong enough. However, after begging and more begging from hubby, I've decided to CONSIDER getting another bird. Now, the question: Where should I buy the bird? Please give me the pros and cons of buying a bird from a Petsmart, Petco type place. Or, where else should I go? This is such a smart group and I know you'll steer me in the right directions.
Thanks

Re: thinking about getting another bird [Re: ] #386561 10/17/09 07:13 PM
P
P&R Mom
Unregistered
P&R Mom
Unregistered
P
Oh, Di, this is so exciting! Woot!

Originally Posted By: luv my bird
This is such a smart group and I know you'll steer me in the right directions.
Hope your blatant flattery works! lol

I got Pudgie from our local Petsmart, and I have no complaints whatsoever. Her health has been excellent, she's smart, she's affectionate. Some Petsmarts seem to be on the ball and others are horrible, so I guess you'd have to check your local one out with an eye to their bird care practices...

Given the heart-breaking number of birds in rescues/shelters, I want to say: adopt a budgie who needs a loving home. I warn you, though, judging from my experience with Raina, that adopting an adult bird with "issues" is nothing like adopting a younger budgie. You would have to decide how much patience you have, how prepared you are to see only tiny increments of learning & trust develop, etc.

Re: thinking about getting another bird [Re: ] #386594 10/18/09 04:14 AM
Cetan Offline
Soulmate
Soulmate
I agree with P&R Mom - I got Sweetgirl and Sweetboy (RIP)from our local Pet Supply Plus (a MI chain) and they were older, very healthy birds but a little wild. I adopted Mac and Kiwi from a member here and Mac is the sweetest boy who will sit on me, Kiwi is younger, a little less of a people bird but he is perch trained. And Batboy, Greengirl and Prettygirl (RIP) I adopted when someone left them at a vet office a friend was doing dog grooming at. Since I have always had multiple birds they prefer each other to me.

Re: thinking about getting another bird [Re: Cetan] #386626 10/18/09 07:27 PM
LuvMyPets Offline
Regular
Regular
I got IceCube from PetSmart and she has always been healthy.

Re: thinking about getting another bird [Re: LuvMyPets] #386634 10/18/09 09:08 PM
D
DaMostLoved Offline
Companion
Companion
D
All three of mine I got from Petco, and so far they've been fine too...

Re: thinking about getting another bird [Re: DaMostLoved] #387081 10/24/09 03:39 PM
K
kksuns Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate
Platinum Star Soulmate
K
Oh my gosh, how did I miss this? To quote P&R " How exciting!" smile Are you still just "considering" or have you made up your mind?
I know that just the THOUGHT of losing another one is enough to scare the pants off ya, but honestly Di, I think you are stronger than you give yourself credit for.
If you want my 2 cents,I think in your case(since you are a bit gun shy) it would be great if you could locate a breeder to get a baby from. I think the odds of it being healthy are greater than from a petstore. Also easier to train since they've only known kindness from human hands so maybe less likelyhood of accidents from freaking out??
If you can't find a breeder near you then I would go with a baby from a reputable petstore. Maybe just check in with the petstore regularly or have them contact you when they get new ones in?
Just follow your heart smile You'll know if it's right.

Moderated by  Lisa Shea 

Search

Latest Posts
The "Beloved Disciple" - Was Not Mary Magdalene
by latinkaone - 06/06/22 08:53 AM
Privacy Policy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!
Forum Areas

* General Discussion *

Books, TV, Movies

Da Vinci Code

Dreams

Japanese Culture

Life, Universe, Everything

Online Courses

Politics

Religious Research

Show Your Own Work

Work From Home / Writing

* Parakeets and Pets *

General Parakeet Chat

Keet Stories and Photos

Parakeet Photo Gallery

Budgie Training

Health and Medical Issues

Parakeet Breeding

In Memory Of ...

Non-Budgie Pets and Animals

Non-Budgie Animal Photos

Off-Topic for Keet Owners

Games

Animal Rights

Bird / Animal Books

Subscribe
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site