Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Need Help male and female Parakeets Fighting #386342 10/12/09 02:23 PM
Z
zoomom Offline OP
OP Offline
Z
I have a male and a female parakeet that have been together in the same cage for about 2 years. The female has always been the dominant one of the two. she every once in a while would peck at him and he would just fly to the other side of the cage and that would be the end of it. One time about 5 am, I herd them screaming and when I came to look the male bird was missing a bunch of feathers and there was some blood in the cage. I thought at the time that he maybe got caught on something that ripped his tail feathers out. now i am thinking that it may have been her. The female has also laid eggs twice but they never hatched. The past 2 to 3 days, the female has been chasing the male around the cage pulling out his feathers. She wont let him eat and constantly chases him and harrasses him unless he sits on the bottom of the cage. It is a large cage. Last night I removed the female to a smaller cage and this morning tried to put her back. she immediately attacked the male and I immediately put her back in the smaller cage. How and Why would she be doing this after 2 years together? I hate to sepeate them because the male gets lonley but I am afraid she will kill him. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Re: Need Help male and female Parakeets Fighting [Re: zoomom] #386361 10/12/09 08:48 PM
L
Luvanimalsdearly Offline
Good Friend
Good Friend
L
Keep them seperate if they are still fighting that bad because the female may eventually kill the male. If the male gets lonely you could consider getting another keet and having the female live by herself.

Re: Need Help male and female Parakeets Fighting [Re: Luvanimalsdearly] #386388 10/13/09 02:45 AM
LuvMyPets Offline
Regular
Regular
I would move them to a seperate cage and keep it like that. I agree with Luvanimalsdearly that if the male gets lonely you should get it a friend, and the female can live alone. When did she last lay eggs?

Re: Need Help male and female Parakeets Fighting [Re: LuvMyPets] #386393 10/13/09 03:56 AM
L
Luvanimalsdearly Offline
Good Friend
Good Friend
L
BTW get your male another male friend. Females tend to be feisty and bossy. Two males can get along fine.

Re: Need Help male and female Parakeets Fighting [Re: Luvanimalsdearly] #386416 10/13/09 05:24 PM
Z
zoomom Offline OP
OP Offline
Z
Thanks for your responses. I separated them yesterday morning and The female broke out of the cage and flew to the males cage. I'm not sure if she wanted to just be near him or harrass him again. He is in the original cage.
They are both so unhappy now. They both just sit there not even making noises or playing with toys.
The female last laid eggs in May of this year and then before that it was in November of last year. She sat on them for about 20 days and then kicked them out of the nest.
I hate to keep them separated but what else can I do? IF I do get another friend for my male, should I get a baby or an older bird?

Re: Need Help male and female Parakeets Fighting [Re: zoomom] #386422 10/13/09 08:22 PM
L
Luvanimalsdearly Offline
Good Friend
Good Friend
L
You should shop around for an older bird because you can't tell the sex of a baby. If it is female the same thing could happen.

Re: Need Help male and female Parakeets Fighting [Re: Luvanimalsdearly] #386451 10/14/09 08:06 PM
BLR Offline
Copper Star Soulmate
Copper Star Soulmate
I hate to bring this up, but you are certain that you have a male and a female? It is sounding a lot like two females.

Re: Need Help male and female Parakeets Fighting [Re: BLR] #386452 10/14/09 08:50 PM
P
P&R Mom
Unregistered
P&R Mom
Unregistered
P
I don't have any experience with your situation, zoomom, but you have my sympathy. The only thing I can think of is to keep them separated for several days or a full week, and see if (a) they perk up and seem happy in their own cages and (b) they behave well together when you put them together (after such a long absence).

Re: Need Help male and female Parakeets Fighting [Re: ] #386460 10/14/09 11:54 PM
Z
zoomom Offline OP
OP Offline
Z
Thank you for all of the advice. They are in separate cages right next to each other and still just sit there. I tried putting her back in again today and she just went right after him. I just don't understand how they could live together for 2 years and one day all of a sudden she hates him. I am sure they are male and female. tThe male Paco has a bright blue above his beak and the female Diamond has a tan color. I am hoping I can figure out a way for them both to be happy.

Re: Need Help male and female Parakeets Fighting [Re: zoomom] #386463 10/15/09 12:26 AM
BLR Offline
Copper Star Soulmate
Copper Star Soulmate
I had to separate my female from the other three because she was picking on everyone. I had tried various combinations, but she would have none of it. She also didn't want to be alone in another cage. I left them separated for a week then put them back together and she did much better.

Another member earilier this year had to separate her males because they were fighting so bad.

I think we forget what individuals they are. He obviously did or said something that really irratated her.

Good luck.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Lisa Shea 

Search

Latest Posts
How Tire Shredders Affect Our Climate
by allenlu - 12/28/21 06:18 AM
Modafinil 200mg Tablet: Provigil Uses, Dosage
by modafinilxpills - 12/27/21 07:16 AM
Three babies!
by Lanapo - 12/24/21 11:55 AM
Privacy Policy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!
Forum Areas

* General Discussion *

Books, TV, Movies

Da Vinci Code

Dreams

Japanese Culture

Life, Universe, Everything

Online Courses

Politics

Religious Research

Show Your Own Work

Work From Home / Writing

* Parakeets and Pets *

General Parakeet Chat

Keet Stories and Photos

Parakeet Photo Gallery

Budgie Training

Health and Medical Issues

Parakeet Breeding

In Memory Of ...

Non-Budgie Pets and Animals

Non-Budgie Animal Photos

Off-Topic for Keet Owners

Games

Animal Rights

Bird / Animal Books

Subscribe
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site