LisaShea Forum Logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Parakeets in winter #386348 10/12/09 05:07 PM
Kareki Offline OP
OP Offline
I have just about the coldest house ever. My keets' cage is right next to a window in this very old house. My room is drafty and I think the vents are slightly stopped up, so if we ever do use the heater (we're also poor) my room doesn't get much of the warmth from it.

Are there any quick fixes? Heated blankets to cover the cage with or something? I should have thought ahead and posted this sooner, but today's the first really colder day in this beginning of fall. It's 67 degrees in the room I'm in now, I'm sure my room is colder. We do have a small oil heater, but it's expensive to run those and it won't do terrible much, 'cause like I said, my room is huge and drafty.

Please help! ;n;

Re: Parakeets in winter [Re: Kareki] #386349 10/12/09 05:55 PM
K
kksuns Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate
Platinum Star Soulmate
K
Can you get an electric heater to use in your room? If you can make sure it is ceramic. I have one similar to this http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=10553596 and it works really well. There are cheaper ones tho. Just, like I said, be sure it's ceramic.
Can you cover the windows in your room with plastic? It will help keep out drafts and hold heat in.And move them away from the windows and have them against an inside wall?
You can also use a heating pad under the floor grate-out towel around it...and I think I've even heard of some using an electric blanket over cage? Either way you would have to keep an eye on temperature and make sure your keets can't chew on them.
Or can you move them to a warmer room for the colder months?

Re: Parakeets in winter [Re: kksuns] #386354 10/12/09 06:18 PM
M
MgateTina Offline
Companion
Companion
M
I just actually commented on my last post about this as well... My home as well is very old 7 drafty.. We are pretty cold in here as well, but I just went our & purchased an electric heater (ceramic) looks like the old vent heaters but its white.. mine came with a remote.. It's a whole room heater & it works great. i got it specifically for the room my birds are in so that they can stay warm. The cold will unfortunatley be harmful 7 detrimental to the birds. So I purchased the space heater just for them , and plan on getting a few more for the house anyhow. Oil heaters are not a good idea, the burning oil may not be good for the birds.. Some space heaters have a option of adding water to them so that you can get moist heat & it won't be so dry like forced heat. Good luck. We got ours from Lowe's and it was about $60

Re: Parakeets in winter [Re: MgateTina] #386376 10/13/09 12:06 AM
Kareki Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks for the tips, guys!
I've moved them a bit.. kind of hard in my room 'cause one whole wall is windows and the other is closets. X3 But I put them by the porch window, which is safe from the wind. They're now at the foot of my bed instead of in the middle of the room, and it's bizarre.. I keep hearing them twitter and cheap and scuffle around and I'm certain that I still hear them where they were. XD Get awful confused when I look up and they aren't across the room, they're practically in my bed lol.
Anyway, I think I'll hit up walmart for a heater like that, that's a good idea. Thanks a bunch!

Re: Parakeets in winter [Re: Kareki] #386379 10/13/09 12:35 AM
Gustafson Offline
Companion
Companion
Another idea (if there is ever a power outage, or you want to cuddle with them and it's cold) is a heater pad. Like a homemade one. You put rice in a towel and sew it up or tie it up, and put it in a microwave for a minute. It usually stays warm for 20-30 minutes at a time.

Re: Parakeets in winter [Re: Kareki] #386400 10/13/09 07:35 AM
P
P&R Mom
Unregistered
P&R Mom
Unregistered
P
Originally Posted By: Gustafson
Another idea (if there is ever a power outage, or you want to cuddle with them and it's cold) is a heater pad. Like a homemade one. You put rice in a towel and sew it up or tie it up, and put it in a microwave for a minute. It usually stays warm for 20-30 minutes at a time.
Love this idea, sincerely (very creative & easy), but --- if there's a power outage, there goes the microwave! smile Just teasing you, Gustafson! It's also a great idea if you suddenly have an ill keet but no heating pads to put next to/under the cage.

Kksuns, your link to the ceramic heater is the answer to my prayers, so to speak -- it's affordable, simple, non-fume-producing, and my local Home Depot supposedly has them in stock! Thank you, thank you, thank you! You may very well have saved us hundreds of dollars in heating bills this coming winter!

I've held off on the space heater idea since we got Pudgie because, back in the day, they were scary, fume-emitting, floor-melting, expensive, risky, smelly, and had bad reputations for being unreliable, at best, and dangerous, at worst.

Originally Posted By: Kareki
I keep hearing them twitter and cheap and scuffle around ... Get awful confused when I look up and they aren't across the room, they're practically in my bed lol.
LOL! They'll probably take some time to get used to the new spot, too. I LOVE your phrase "twitter and cheep and scuffle around" -- that describes it so well! (Then there's the occasional "ding" or "rasp" when they bump into bells or shredder toys...) smile

Re: Parakeets in winter [Re: ] #386404 10/13/09 09:05 AM
tweetymom Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend
Being "practically in your bed" will certainly get them used to you faster, I think.

Dinah, Tweetymom

RIP precious Merlin
7/11/1990-11/17/2009
RIP Tweetylove
5/13/2010
Rest with Merlin
Re: Parakeets in winter [Re: tweetymom] #386419 10/13/09 07:02 PM
Gustafson Offline
Companion
Companion
LOL!! I totally didn't even think of that. DO'H!! Oh man. I'm a genius. Thanks for that P&R. laugh I feel like a goon. hahaha.

Re: Parakeets in winter [Re: Gustafson] #386420 10/13/09 07:24 PM
P
P&R Mom
Unregistered
P&R Mom
Unregistered
P
Please don't feel that way, Gustafson -- lol -- One time during a power outage, I said, "Well I can't use our new oven, since it has electronic ignition, but we can use the microwave!" Hubby just looked at me... smile

Re: Parakeets in winter [Re: ] #386423 10/13/09 09:00 PM
Gustafson Offline
Companion
Companion
Lol. I love the those situations. Good laugh time after the fact. Lol! Sorry for getting off topic! smile

Good luck Kareki. Let us know. smile

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Lisa Shea 

Search

Latest Posts
Privacy Policy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!
Forum Areas

* General Discussion *

Books, TV, Movies

Da Vinci Code

Dreams

Japanese Culture

Life, Universe, Everything

Online Courses

Politics

Religious Research

Show Your Own Work

Work From Home / Writing

* Parakeets and Pets *

General Parakeet Chat

Keet Stories and Photos

Parakeet Photo Gallery

Budgie Training

Health and Medical Issues

Parakeet Breeding

In Memory Of ...

Non-Budgie Pets and Animals

Non-Budgie Animal Photos

Off-Topic for Keet Owners

Games

Animal Rights

Bird / Animal Books

Subscribe
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site