LisaShea Forum Logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Mystique went to the vet!! #385188 09/23/09 12:07 AM
rtegge Offline OP
OP Offline
haven't been on here for a while, how is everyone? Mystique went to the vet recently because she flapped her wing when she slipped into the sink, and broke a "blood feather." She wasn't in really too much pain, and im actually kind of glad just because the vet did a whole physical on her tiny little body...and she weighs 46 grams!! shes so big!!

I had a question though... does anyone feed their keets: dandelion greens, parsely or spinach? the vet recommended these to me and told me that she needs this more than fruits but never heard of feeding them the dandelions or parsely.

The vet told me she is a most healthy bird with beautiful feathers and is getting older but not cranky, has a great heart beat and vitals are excellent! That really gives you a piece of mind..

Re: Mystique went to the vet!! [Re: rtegge] #385190 09/23/09 12:09 AM
rtegge Offline OP
OP Offline
also, has anyone ever fed the "Kaytee Fiesta Max" or "Zu-Preem"??

Re: Mystique went to the vet!! [Re: rtegge] #385194 09/23/09 01:49 AM
B
baby blue Offline
Soulmate
Soulmate
B
my 2 "spinsters" are seedaholics, but i have had some luck with parsley but the only thing they will actively get excited for is chickweed. i want to try dandelions but i haven't found an area yet that i know has not been sprayed with chemicals.
my four "teens" have actually responded to broccoli and a little for celery, since discovering the chickweed. i made a game for ozzy and froot loop out of (sort of) celery. i peel off the toughest strings from the outside of a long piece. when you do this, it goes kinda curly as you pull it off. then i just tie clumps of the strings to the cage bars! they don't actually eat it but they have fun playing with the strands and then chewing through the knot. once it falls down, they ignore it. at least they get a bit of entertainment out of it! LOL! if you do try the dandelions, post back and let us know what the reaction was. good luck. smile

baby blue
Re: Mystique went to the vet!! [Re: baby blue] #385217 09/23/09 11:10 AM
K
kksuns Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate
Platinum Star Soulmate
K
Hi rtegge, Sorry to hear about the broken blood feather, but Yaaaayyy! for the clean bill of health otherwise. It really is a good feeling hearing from a professional that all is well and your bird is in excellent health smile

My guys both eat parsley and spinach.(I think they play with the parsley more than anything tho LOL) I've never tried dandelion greens, but i have heard they are good for them. I have seen dandelion greens in the supermarket.
Like bb said, if you plan on using dandelion greens from outside you have to be SURE they are from an area that has never been treated with pesticides. And even if you don't treat your own yard, your neighbors might and the pesticides could carry to your yard.
I have and do feed Kaytee Fiesta, but since I found Kaytee Forti-diet Pro health in the blue bag, that is what i mainly feed them and I mix it with some of the Fiesta Max,another kind of seed mix, and pellets.. The Forti-diet is much better for them.Both of my guys like it.If you are switching from a dif brand start by mixing their usual with the new until they get used to it.
Does she eat pellets?

Re: Mystique went to the vet!! [Re: rtegge] #385233 09/23/09 03:33 PM
L
Love My Budgies Offline
Long Time Friend
Long Time Friend
L
What a cute little fluff ball you have there. She's adorable! Glad to hear she is healthy.
I do feed my girls both dried and fresh organic parsley, as well as spinach. Don't recall if I tried Dandelion greens or not, I've tried most greens at the store. They love the Italian flat leaf parsley.
I fed them Kaytee when I first got them since it was what the pet store fed them, but since reading how they use artificial colors, flavors, and preservatives, and the vitamins/minerals are coated on the outside of the seed that the birds do not actually consume, I mix my own by using organic seeds but only give a little bit in the evening. I feed them mostly veggies, grains, & pellets (Roudybush & Harrison's are better than Zupreem) w/ little fruit.
You can get a free 1.75lb bag of organic hulled millet at www.iherb.com (or $5 off anything on your first purchase), by using coupon MOD625. Here is link to...
millet

Last edited by Love My Budgies; 09/23/09 03:35 PM.
Re: Mystique went to the vet!! [Re: Love My Budgies] #385251 09/23/09 08:08 PM
P
P&R Mom
Unregistered
P&R Mom
Unregistered
P
Glad to hear Mystique is in such good health.

Both of my birds love organic spinach leaves. It can get expensive, but it makes a fast, healthy salad for humans, too! If a clip scares your bird, you can sort of weave a piece through the cage bars.

Re: Mystique went to the vet!! [Re: ] #385262 09/23/09 09:47 PM
B
baby blue Offline
Soulmate
Soulmate
B
gonna have to try that with... something... ???

baby blue

Moderated by  Lisa Shea 

Search

Latest Posts
Why in 2013 Abercromibie Fitch Jackets So Popular?
by Conrad John - 11/23/21 09:15 PM
What is Sustainable Leeather
by alishanathaniel - 11/21/21 11:21 PM
Assessing Your Local Tire Recycling Market
by allenlu - 11/15/21 08:21 AM
Xanax cod saturday delivery fedex
by Walgreens USA - 10/29/21 09:43 AM
Buy Modafinil 200mg Tablets Cash on Delivery
by modafinilxpills - 10/27/21 08:32 AM
Privacy Policy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!
Forum Areas

* General Discussion *

Books, TV, Movies

Da Vinci Code

Dreams

Japanese Culture

Life, Universe, Everything

Online Courses

Politics

Religious Research

Show Your Own Work

Work From Home / Writing

* Parakeets and Pets *

General Parakeet Chat

Keet Stories and Photos

Parakeet Photo Gallery

Budgie Training

Health and Medical Issues

Parakeet Breeding

In Memory Of ...

Non-Budgie Pets and Animals

Non-Budgie Animal Photos

Off-Topic for Keet Owners

Games

Animal Rights

Bird / Animal Books

Subscribe
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site