Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Winter wondering land #384832 09/18/09 10:03 PM
Puds Offline OP
Long Time Friend
OP Offline
Long Time Friend
I am wondering how to keep my little bird safe and warm in the coldest months.

What are the things you do, and any tips? Space heater, heated blanket? My house gets freezing, as my dad is a cold freak. Its not unusual for me to wake up, go down stairs and see the doors open, snow and what not blowing in.

***Generally*** the upstairs is well heated and quite comfy, but i know there will be days where its chilly, or down right cold.

I just want to plan ahead, and if i need to introduce something new into my room i can do it now.

I went out and bought a heavy comforter that is big enough to cover her cage. Right now its not cold at all, its lovely, and i d not cover the lower half of her cage. I looked and it still stays dark and fairly warm in there. Should icover the entire cage for winter months....what about fresh air for Puddles. smile Any tips?

New pics soon smile
Re: Winter wondering land [Re: Puds] #384837 09/18/09 10:40 PM
L
Love My Budgies Offline
Long Time Friend
Long Time Friend
L
I brought Juji home in November and where I live winter lasts from Nov 'til March, with temps to 35F+ below zero. The only thing I did once in awhile when it was truly cold, was put an extra blanket over her cage at night. I try to keep my home at 70F, and in winter I know it dipped down to 65F.
As long as Puddles isn't in a draft, she should be fine. Budgies can stay healthy at temps as low as 64F. Keep a thermometer on her cage (where she can't get at it) and another across the room to monitor the temp at all times.
Some may recommend a heated perch, but I have read they are a waste of money since Budgies don't get hot or cold from their feet and can in fact stop the blood flow to them to conserve energy/warmth.
I would make sure you have extra sheets or blankets for her cage and perhaps a bird tent, cozy corner, or snuggle hut she could snuggle up to/in for extra warmth. Although my girls have never liked any of those things and stay far away from them, no matter how many times I oooh and ahhh and rub them against my face or hand.
I wouldn't use a space heater as I have heard about too many accidents/fires when using them and I would be afraid they might be teflon coated?

Re: Winter wondering land [Re: Love My Budgies] #384838 09/18/09 11:31 PM
K
kksuns Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate
Platinum Star Soulmate
K
I use an electric heater when the room they are in seems too chilly. The thermostat for our furnace is in a dif room that is always warmer than the living room where they are. If you get an electric heater make sure it is a ceramic one. I use a warmer blanket to cover them with in the winter too. And I always cover the whole cage but the bottom front maybe 1/3.
It gets cold here too, and it seems to be getting cold early this year. How bout you guys? Chilly days & cold nights lately?
Before we know it, it will be how do we prepare for power outages right?

Re: Winter wondering land [Re: kksuns] #384841 09/18/09 11:36 PM
D
DaMostLoved Offline
Companion
Companion
D
I'm glad you asked this question Puds, since I was wondering the same thing...
It's getting so cold around here at night and early morning that it feels like it'll be winter next week!!

Re: Winter wondering land [Re: DaMostLoved] #384846 09/18/09 11:42 PM
K
kksuns Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate
Platinum Star Soulmate
K
Next weeeek!!! no no no!!! Don't even THINK it! Where in NY are u DaMostLoved?

Re: Winter wondering land [Re: kksuns] #384850 09/19/09 12:12 AM
D
DaMostLoved Offline
Companion
Companion
D
Im in Rockland County... It hasn't been THAT cold, but it has been in the mid-40's in the mornings and at night.

Re: Winter wondering land [Re: DaMostLoved] #384851 09/19/09 12:23 AM
Puds Offline OP
Long Time Friend
OP Offline
Long Time Friend
Hey! thanks for the info! i know my room gets cold, but if i pay attention to the temp, i am sure i am able to keep it above 65. A electric heather may need to be purchased once we see how cold it really does get. But we just got a new comforter for her cage, and its huge and warm on me, so i am thinking it will work for her. I took out the cozy i made a few months ago. She could care lss about it, but maybe if its cold she will use it!

Thanks!

And i really really think its getting cold early this year. I only live in PA but usually there is snow for halloween frown

New pics soon smile
Re: Winter wondering land [Re: Puds] #384872 09/19/09 12:06 PM
**mattie** Offline
Long Time Friend
Long Time Friend
Originally Posted By: Puds
I am wondering how to keep my little bird safe and warm in the coldest months.

What are the things you do, and any tips? Space heater, heated blanket? My house gets freezing, as my dad is a cold freak. Its not unusual for me to wake up, go down stairs and see the doors open, snow and what not blowing in.

***Generally*** the upstairs is well heated and quite comfy, but i know there will be days where its chilly, or down right cold.

I just want to plan ahead, and if i need to introduce something new into my room i can do it now.

I went out and bought a heavy comforter that is big enough to cover her cage. Right now its not cold at all, its lovely, and i d not cover the lower half of her cage. I looked and it still stays dark and fairly warm in there. Should icover the entire cage for winter months....what about fresh air for Puddles. smile Any tips?

I would say the best thing would be a sheet over their cage when it gets to snow or too cold.
Right now it's very cold in Virginia!
Brrrr! wink
Do you have a large sheet that you could use?

Re: Winter wondering land [Re: **mattie**] #384969 09/20/09 09:18 PM
**mattie** Offline
Long Time Friend
Long Time Friend
-bump-

Re: Winter wondering land [Re: **mattie**] #385002 09/21/09 04:47 AM
Jessica Cole Offline
Great Friend
Great Friend
Oh, wow...I better start thinking about that too. Our house gets cold as well. : /

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Lisa Shea 

Search

Latest Posts
Why in 2013 Abercromibie Fitch Jackets So Popular?
by Conrad John - 11/23/21 09:15 PM
What is Sustainable Leeather
by alishanathaniel - 11/21/21 11:21 PM
Assessing Your Local Tire Recycling Market
by allenlu - 11/15/21 08:21 AM
Xanax cod saturday delivery fedex
by Walgreens USA - 10/29/21 09:43 AM
Buy Modafinil 200mg Tablets Cash on Delivery
by modafinilxpills - 10/27/21 08:32 AM
Privacy Policy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!
Forum Areas

* General Discussion *

Books, TV, Movies

Da Vinci Code

Dreams

Japanese Culture

Life, Universe, Everything

Online Courses

Politics

Religious Research

Show Your Own Work

Work From Home / Writing

* Parakeets and Pets *

General Parakeet Chat

Keet Stories and Photos

Parakeet Photo Gallery

Budgie Training

Health and Medical Issues

Parakeet Breeding

In Memory Of ...

Non-Budgie Pets and Animals

Non-Budgie Animal Photos

Off-Topic for Keet Owners

Games

Animal Rights

Bird / Animal Books

Subscribe
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site