Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Eggs [Re: Melissa517] #384063 09/11/09 05:22 PM
*helwa*
Unregistered
*helwa*
Unregistered
https://www.birdsupplynh.com/catalog/ind...da3ef1cd670ddef

that is a link to fake eggs.

if you take the eggs from her it WILL affect her emotionally ands he may start to rip out her feathers, and she WILL keep laying eggs to complete her cluth.

buy those eggs, about 6 or 7 of them, as soon as she lays an egg replace it with one of these, but do not let her see you do it, she will know it isnt her egg if she sees you do it.

i dont like the idea of killing fertile eggs either but id rather see an egg die than see a bird suffer or see another homeless bird ..

Re: Eggs [Re: ] #384064 09/11/09 05:25 PM
*helwa*
Unregistered
*helwa*
Unregistered
also you need to look at STOPPING Them from breeding, it is not at all healthy for her to lay this many eggs.

do a complete re arrangement of the cage, remove any nest boxes, happy huts or dark spots, make sure they get 12 hrs of total and complete darkness each night to sleep. keep them in separate cages when you are not home and only let them have play dates when you are home to ake sure no piddle paddle happens...

Re: Eggs [Re: ] #384070 09/11/09 05:54 PM
Lisa Shea Offline
True Blue Soulmate
True Blue Soulmate
I agree and feel strongly that for example if a pair of dogs are allowed to breed that the solution is not to keep killing the puppies that result. If you don't want fertile eggs, then you as the owner are 100% in a position to stop that from happening. I imagine you must have multiple cages, yes?

Lisa Shea, Owner
Re: Eggs [Re: Lisa Shea] #384078 09/11/09 06:58 PM
Melissa517 Offline OP
OP Offline
You know, I rescued the original Keets from a house fire, I came in here asking for a little help and some knowledge and all I got in here was condemnation and criticisms. No I do not have mulitple cages as we are on a very tight budget in our family. No I don't like to destroy the eggs or take them from Ma. This will be the last post in this forum cause I am so leaving it!

Re: Eggs [Re: Melissa517] #384079 09/11/09 07:08 PM
BLR Offline
Copper Star Soulmate
Copper Star Soulmate
Melissa - do they have a nest box that they are laying in? If you do you will need to let her lay a clutch (either replacing the eggs as she lays them, or addle the eggs that she is laying). After she looses interest because they do not hatch, then remove the nest box and anything else that she may make a nest out of. At that time you can take some actions to discourage her from coming back into breeding mode.

Shorter days, rearranging the cage every two weeks or so. And of course removing anything she may want to lay eggs in.

Good luck.

Re: Eggs [Re: Lisa Shea] #384080 09/11/09 07:17 PM
BLR Offline
Copper Star Soulmate
Copper Star Soulmate
Originally Posted By: Lisa Shea
I agree and feel strongly that for example if a pair of dogs are allowed to breed that the solution is not to keep killing the puppies that result. If you don't want fertile eggs, then you as the owner are 100% in a position to stop that from happening. I imagine you must have multiple cages, yes?

I have to disagree with this analogy. The solution for the breeding dogs would be to have one neutered or one spayed or both. That is not an option with keets. It addition you have the problem of a hen that is already in the process of laying a clutch.

Unlike mammals most birds with keep laying until the clutch is complete. I think Melissa is caught in between and was asking for some advice about her current situation.

I also have to disagree that freshly laid eggs are the same as puppies. I have had chickens from whom I harvested the eggs and ate them. Granted keets eggs are not thought of as food but it is potential not a chick.

Re: Eggs [Re: BLR] #384084 09/11/09 07:43 PM
Melissa517 Offline OP
OP Offline
No she don't have a nest box, but here is the deal, I do have pine shavings and timothy hay as their substrait. I was thinking of keeping paper towels in the bottom of the cage. I always thinking of what they had in the wild and try to replicate that as much as I can.
Yeah when we can afford to do this we are going to build them a bigger place to live in. my husband put two cages together to create a double condo for them. We are going to be creating an avary inside the bedroom closet which is huge. When we have to funds to do that. Until then, I do believe that they are all happy campers, they have fresh water and great foodies, and toys to play with.

Re: Eggs [Re: Melissa517] #384097 09/11/09 09:38 PM
S
skipperdog Offline
Good Friend
Good Friend
S
Melissa, I haven't tried any of these, but I wanted to try and help you because my vet said that one of the major contributing factors to a shortened life span for a hen is laying a lot of eggs. My female bird doesn't allow either male we have to mate with her and she has not laid eggs, but I have read a lot of bird care books, and here are some suggestions for you:

Try white marbles as a substitute for keet eggs.

For darkness, if they don't like to be covered, maybe you can put their cage in an unused room or large closet, as long as there's enough fresh air, for them to sleep.

And I have read that limiting baths helps, too. If they bathe in their water dish, try giving them a smaller dish.

Best of luck to you.

Re: Eggs [Re: skipperdog] #384103 09/11/09 09:56 PM
C
Caribbean mom :)
Unregistered
Caribbean mom :)
Unregistered
C
If you have two cages made into a condo, (and I used to have that type of set up also, pretty cool!) could you possibly even use a large sheet of cardboard (is that keet safe? IDK) or something, oh maybe a sheet pulled tight! Anyway, put that between the two cage halves and tie it in real good so it's not a safety hazard. Then you could sho the guys to one side and the gals to the other side. Just trying to think of inexpensive ways to separate them for now until you can afford a better solution.

I do agree that, for now you have to do what you have to do, but yes, if you simply take the eggs w/o replacing them with something, she will just keep laying and laying.

Hope all goes well... smile Chin up! We don't all agree on topics like this and it is a touchy situation. We are very passionate people and it's hard sometimes to say what we mean w/o offending when we are of the opposing view point. I myself am really on the fence on the issue and unsure what I would do in the same situation.

Re: Eggs [Re: ] #384131 09/12/09 01:33 AM
B
baby blue Offline
Soulmate
Soulmate
B
everyone here cares and we all are individuals so you will get many different answers. sometimes we may not think as well as we should while we write our posts and don't realize how they may come across. melissa, we have a wonderful bunch of people here and it is a great forum. smile don't get me wrong, there are sometimes clashes, but again, we are all different and think differently. it is actually the reason this forum is so good, there is a HUGE amount of information available here, it's just up to you to decide what you will do with the info you get. i know personally that i have "gotten into it" with other members but i remember to think that they are just as right in their minds as i am in mine. i have made alot of very good friends here, met some amazing people and had a ton of laughs! just hang out for a while, chat and before you know it... you could have a "happy place" to go to and you will meet us all here!! i came here and very soon after caught a wicked case of bird fever which has been hitting most of the members as it spreads! go to search, and type in "you know you have bird fever when..." have a look and you will see that we are all the same!
welcome to the forum!! ! smile

baby blue
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Lisa Shea 

Search

Latest Posts
winter reminder for our birds
by AllanMajor - 11/27/22 06:25 PM
Mathematics tutor
by knightgael - 11/26/22 06:08 PM
Windows-Sicherheitsp
robleme

by landale - 11/26/22 02:30 PM
Jewelry Watches
by knightgael - 11/25/22 08:33 PM
Jewerly men's watch
by landale - 11/25/22 08:19 PM
How can you feed pigs inexpensively
by textekprinter - 11/25/22 02:17 AM
Help choose a gift for my brother
by knightgael - 11/24/22 01:37 PM
I want to buy a watch
by landale - 11/24/22 01:03 PM
Photo Print Sizes
by RandellHamilton - 11/23/22 04:00 PM
Controversial Research Topics Guide
by billyroberts - 11/22/22 08:30 AM
Privacy Policy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!
Forum Areas

* General Discussion *

Books, TV, Movies

Da Vinci Code

Dreams

Japanese Culture

Life, Universe, Everything

Online Courses

Politics

Religious Research

Show Your Own Work

Work From Home / Writing

* Parakeets and Pets *

General Parakeet Chat

Keet Stories and Photos

Parakeet Photo Gallery

Budgie Training

Health and Medical Issues

Parakeet Breeding

In Memory Of ...

Non-Budgie Pets and Animals

Non-Budgie Animal Photos

Off-Topic for Keet Owners

Games

Animal Rights

Bird / Animal Books

Subscribe
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site