LisaShea Forum Logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Eggs #383964 09/10/09 10:11 PM
Melissa517 Offline OP
OP Offline
Help I need some right away. My female just keeps laying eggs but I need to know how can I prevent them from hatching. The last two I cracked open and buried in my garden and the last one I put in the fridge. I know I need to get some fake eggs to replace the ones I took already.
We now have 10 Keets. 3 hatchlings from the first batch are already grown up keet and this last batch it produced 5 more hatchlings. We do not want any more. Think that 10 is enough for us. What is the best way to prevent them from developing?

Re: Eggs [Re: Melissa517] #383965 09/10/09 10:14 PM
A
Ant
Unregistered
Ant
Unregistered
A
You're cracking fertile eggs?

Re: Eggs [Re: Melissa517] #383966 09/10/09 10:45 PM
L
Love My Budgies Offline
Long Time Friend
Long Time Friend
L
I had read if you remove them, she will just keep laying, so do not remove them until you get plastic ones to replace them.
If you don't want babies, the best thing would be to separate your Budgies. If that is not an option, try giving them less light, no nesting area or anything that resembles one, and change their cage around every few days.

Re: Eggs [Re: ] #384001 09/11/09 04:06 AM
Melissa517 Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted By: Ant

I removed them as soon as I seen one and I keep a very close eye on the female who lays them... it is NOT like I am waiting till they are about to hatch then crack them! duh!

Re: Eggs [Re: Melissa517] #384002 09/11/09 04:12 AM
T
tigresstki Offline
Companion
Companion
T
Your cracking eggs awwwww thats sad.Is there no way you can let them hatch then try and find homes for the babies? Or move the mother to another cage?

Re: Eggs [Re: Melissa517] #384004 09/11/09 04:57 AM
A
Ant
Unregistered
Ant
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted By: Melissa517

I removed them as soon as I seen one and I keep a very close eye on the female who lays them... it is NOT like I am waiting till they are about to hatch then crack them! duh!

That doesn't matter. You're taking FERTILE eggs and you're destroying them, either way whether they're a day old, or they're about to hatch, IT'S WRONG and for you not to feel any remorse for that...

Re: Eggs [Re: ] #384005 09/11/09 06:00 AM
T
tigresstki Offline
Companion
Companion
T
I agree they are still fertile!I understand that you dont want them but you dont have to do that!There has to be another solution.

Originally Posted By: Melissa517

That doesn't matter. You're taking FERTILE eggs and you're destroying them, either way whether they're a day old, or they're about to hatch, IT'S WRONG and for you not to feel any remorse for that...

Re: Eggs [Re: tigresstki] #384015 09/11/09 11:11 AM
PDM Offline
True Blue Soulmate
True Blue Soulmate
Melissa asked me for help with this and I told her that I was not knowledgeable enough, but that there were forum members who were ~ and who would be friendly and helpful.

She is not trying to be cruel; she is trying to do what's best ~ but needs help with that.

Of course some people may feel that it is sad or wrong to prevent the eggs hatching.
I'm sure that Melissa feel the same way ~ which is why she is on here asking for help.
Who says that she feels 'no remorse'?

Please provide help & advice, rather than criticism. Thank you.

"The secret of success is constancy to purpose" - Benjamin Disraeli.
Re: Eggs [Re: PDM] #384026 09/11/09 02:21 PM
BLR Offline
Copper Star Soulmate
Copper Star Soulmate
Melissa, you can addle the eggs by shaking them very hard. Put them in your hand and make sure that the egg does not move in your hand. You can also refrigerate them for a day, let them come back to room temp and put them back. I will probably get flamed for this but it is what you do to chicken eggs if you don't want chicks.

Melissa, please do not feel you are doing anything wrong. This is birth control and it is better to practice birth control then have unwanted babies.

Does your female have a nest box, or is she laying these on the floor?

Good luck hun -

Re: Eggs [Re: BLR] #384027 09/11/09 02:55 PM
Melissa517 Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted By: BLR
Melissa, you can addle the eggs by shaking them very hard. Put them in your hand and make sure that the egg does not move in your hand. You can also refrigerate them for a day, let them come back to room temp and put them back. I will probably get flamed for this but it is what you do to chicken eggs if you don't want chicks.

Melissa, please do not feel you are doing anything wrong. This is birth control and it is better to practice birth control then have unwanted babies.

Does your female have a nest box, or is she laying these on the floor?

Good luck hun -

Thank you so much for this assistance. It really breaks my heart to do this but I have to. I love life and all creatures great and small. My Parakeets had two sets of babies, the first clutch produced 3 babies and the second one hatched out 5 babies. I figured that 8 was enough. I am sure that Ma and Pa think the same as well.
Thanks to all who helped me in this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Lisa Shea 

Search

Latest Posts
Obesity raises Risk of Cancer
by landale - 12/01/22 11:40 AM
winter reminder for our birds
by AllanMajor - 11/27/22 06:25 PM
Mathematics tutor
by knightgael - 11/26/22 06:08 PM
Windows-Sicherheitsp
robleme

by landale - 11/26/22 02:30 PM
Jewelry Watches
by knightgael - 11/25/22 08:33 PM
Jewerly men's watch
by landale - 11/25/22 08:19 PM
How can you feed pigs inexpensively
by textekprinter - 11/25/22 02:17 AM
Help choose a gift for my brother
by knightgael - 11/24/22 01:37 PM
I want to buy a watch
by landale - 11/24/22 01:03 PM
Photo Print Sizes
by RandellHamilton - 11/23/22 04:00 PM
Privacy Policy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!
Forum Areas

* General Discussion *

Books, TV, Movies

Da Vinci Code

Dreams

Japanese Culture

Life, Universe, Everything

Online Courses

Politics

Religious Research

Show Your Own Work

Work From Home / Writing

* Parakeets and Pets *

General Parakeet Chat

Keet Stories and Photos

Parakeet Photo Gallery

Budgie Training

Health and Medical Issues

Parakeet Breeding

In Memory Of ...

Non-Budgie Pets and Animals

Non-Budgie Animal Photos

Off-Topic for Keet Owners

Games

Animal Rights

Bird / Animal Books

Subscribe
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site