Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Please Help! #383704 09/08/09 04:44 PM
T
tigresstki Offline OP
Companion
OP Offline
Companion
T
Is my bird Dee ok ive had them for about 5 days and he does this alot during the day after I uncover them I dont know if its him sleeping or being cold.He breaths a little heavy sometimes and also shivers sometimes.The other bird is fine they have their energy spurts where they chirp and go down to the bottom to eat.Are they still getting used to their new home and are still scared or is there something wrong with Dee and I need to take him to the vet?Here is what he looks like.

Re: Please Help! [Re: tigresstki] #383705 09/08/09 04:52 PM
S
Sherby'sMom Offline
Companion
Companion
S
I think Dee would probably be puffier if he were cold. If they're playing and eating still I think your ok. Maybe your bird is starting to molt. Mine always sleep more when they molt. Plus most don't do much when you first get them. I'm sure some others will chime in that know more then I do though. If you just got them it might not be a bad idea to have them looked at by a vet though.

Re: Please Help! [Re: Sherby'sMom] #383706 09/08/09 04:56 PM
S
Sherby'sMom Offline
Companion
Companion
S
When Dee is sleeping does she make clicking noises with her beak. I can picture my little ones sleeping like that and chewing/clicking their beaks. That's supposed to be a sign of contentment I've read. So, that would be a good sign.

Re: Please Help! [Re: Sherby'sMom] #383707 09/08/09 04:59 PM
T
tigresstki Offline OP
Companion
OP Offline
Companion
T
He clicks his beak off and on they click more at night though.I took them to the vet the first day I got them since I got them at Petsmart and she said they were ok just to watch them the first few weeks and bring them back or call if i think something is wrong.Is there anything I should do when they molt?

Re: Please Help! [Re: tigresstki] #383708 09/08/09 05:19 PM
SUPERSTAR Offline
Companion
Companion
Pet stores has these supplement seeds to give to them in a different food cup when they are molting. I think it helps them deal with the stress and stuff. I would get some of that and put it in a different feeding cup. Other than that, keep them warm and let nature take its course.

Re: Please Help! [Re: SUPERSTAR] #383712 09/08/09 05:29 PM
K
kksuns Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate
Platinum Star Soulmate
K
What do you mean by breathes heavy? Does his tail bob up and down when he breathes? And shivering? Are you sure he's not just like fluffing and shaking at the same time to straighten his feathers out?
If they are molting you will start to see more feathers around the cage. Lots of fluffy ones and maybe a flight feather or tail feather or 2?
Like superstar said, there is special seed mix you can get to help with molt. It comes in a can and is called Molting supplement. Also warm bathes or misting helps.
If you are worried Dee might be sick, call your vet and ask what h/she thinks. Keep an eye out for other symptoms..eating less, less active, runny poo or less poo,funky colored poo, sneezing. I know it's soo hard with birds isn't it? Seems like we worry over every little thing frown

Re: Please Help! [Re: kksuns] #383716 09/08/09 06:10 PM
T
tigresstki Offline OP
Companion
OP Offline
Companion
T
He does bob his tail every so often when he breathes but its not constant so I think maybe he just loses his balance or gets a little scared for a second.There are some little feathers from what looks like his belly and underside area on the floor they are white and blue so its from him and not Dum.I think he is molting so I will go ahead and get the seed supplement and put it in a cup across from their seed/fruit mix cup.Im going to go buy a misting spray bottle for them today and a little tub for their cage since they arent trained yet and I cant let them out to bath in a tub outside their cage.Hes moving around now and chirping and eating so I think he was just napping because he was molting like Sherby said.I will try those things and watch him for the next few days and if he starts sleeping more or there is a change in his poop I will take him to the vet to see what she says.And yeah im a big worry wart lol.After the other two we rescued died 2 years ago im so watchful over these two!

Re: Please Help! [Re: tigresstki] #383718 09/08/09 06:18 PM
K
kksuns Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate
Platinum Star Soulmate
K
You really don't have to buy a special tub for them. Any shallow dish will be ok. I use a plastic sandwich container. In fact it might take some trial and error before you discover "the" right one. I tried 4-5 dif ones, one of which was one of those little tub shaped bird bathes with a mirror in the bottom, before mine decided to go for a plain ole sandwich container!
I think we're all a bunch of worry warts! LOL

Re: Please Help! [Re: kksuns] #383719 09/08/09 06:22 PM
T
tigresstki Offline OP
Companion
OP Offline
Companion
T
I tried a little flower shaped bowl yesterday and only filled it up with a little water at the bottom and they kept looking at it and would walk by it on their perch but would never get in it so I might try that and see if maybe they will warm up to it.

Re: Please Help! [Re: tigresstki] #383722 09/08/09 06:27 PM
K
kksuns Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate
Platinum Star Soulmate
K
Oh that sounds nice! smile If they like lettuce or parsley or something along those lines, you might try floating a piece of it in the bath water. Mine will NOT bathe without his beloved piece of lettuce in his bath! LOL

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Lisa Shea 

Search

Latest Posts
Upgrading my Bracelet Game
by knightgael - 01/30/23 08:44 AM
Mathematics
by Kerok - 01/26/23 05:53 AM
Nike towards the Chinese Lunar Yr inspiration
by AllanMajor - 01/25/23 07:36 AM
Why did my credit card company randomly extend my
by knightgael - 01/23/23 02:50 PM
Little Budgie Football Fans???
by Wuzzy - 01/23/23 04:56 AM
NCAA football rankings
by Wuzzy - 01/23/23 04:53 AM
Are the services of the fubotv good?
by knightgael - 01/22/23 11:13 PM
Where can I get feedback about the oncor?
by landale - 01/22/23 08:38 PM
Are product reviews important to you before you
by landale - 01/22/23 05:50 PM
Privacy Policy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!
Forum Areas

* General Discussion *

Books, TV, Movies

Da Vinci Code

Dreams

Japanese Culture

Life, Universe, Everything

Online Courses

Politics

Religious Research

Show Your Own Work

Work From Home / Writing

* Parakeets and Pets *

General Parakeet Chat

Keet Stories and Photos

Parakeet Photo Gallery

Budgie Training

Health and Medical Issues

Parakeet Breeding

In Memory Of ...

Non-Budgie Pets and Animals

Non-Budgie Animal Photos

Off-Topic for Keet Owners

Games

Animal Rights

Bird / Animal Books

Subscribe
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site