Print Thread
Oliver and his new friend are now cage buddies #383675 09/08/09 01:00 PM
S
smittys Offline OP
Regular
OP Offline
Regular
S
Now I know everyone said I had to give it a few months of quarantine but I had to cut it a bit short. Our new bird (no name has been picked yet) started getting very depressed. We couldn't understand what was wrong with him. He stopped eating, chirping, and just sat in the corner of his cage.
My husband suggested placing his cage closer to Olivers so that they could actually see each other rather than just hear each other. I was nervous because I thought maybe the new bird was sick but I decided to give it a shot.
As soon as I placed there cages next to each other the new bird perked up. Started chirping like crazy and fluttering around his cage. When Oliver ate, the new guy ate. When Oliver played with his toys in his cage, the new guy started playing with the toys in his cage. Everything was going great until a few days ago when the new guy started his little depression episode again.
This time I decided to put them in the same cage and see what happens. I pushed there cages right next to each other and opened both doors to each cage. I wanted them to explore each others cage on there own time. Within 45 minutes the new guy hopped into Olivers cage and perked up right away again.
Happy to say, the two are inseparable. They eat together, feed each other, clean each other, play together. It's like they've been best buddies forever. The new guy does tend to follow Oliver every where he goes in the cage (almost like Follow The Leader) which annoys Oliver a bit but he always gives in. Almost like a big brother.
The funniest thing is that the new guy has a tendency to hang upside down from the top of the cage about 5 minutes after I put the cover on them for the night. Now, I've been noticing Oliver is trying to attempt the same feat, yet hasn't managed the trick to perfection yet. He gets very angry and eventually gives up and that's when the new guy comes down and cuddles up next to Oliver for the night. Very sweet.
By the way, my son is hooked on the name Sonic from Sonic the Hedgehog. It may stick but we're not sure yet.

Re: Oliver and his new friend are now cage buddies [Re: smittys] #383676 09/08/09 01:29 PM
**mattie** Offline
Long Time Friend
Long Time Friend
I would recommend to bring "the new guy" into the vets if this happens again---when he won't eat.
Let me get this right....the new guy won't eat unless Oliver eats, the new guy won't play with his toys unless Oliver plays with them...
I don't know what to say about this.
It's pretty cute though smile
Loool, Sonic is such an adorabe name!

Can you send us some pics?
Us "bird ladies" and "bird men" love to look at pics!
And addddorrable signature pic!
smile

Re: Oliver and his new friend are now cage buddies [Re: smittys] #383677 09/08/09 01:31 PM
C
Caribbean mom :)
Unregistered
Caribbean mom :)
Unregistered
C
Glad to hear it is going well! sounds like they are having fun together.

Re: Oliver and his new friend are now cage buddies [Re: **mattie**] #383678 09/08/09 01:36 PM
S
smittys Offline OP
Regular
OP Offline
Regular
S
Oh no, he was just doing that when there cages were side by side. Now that he is in the cage with Oliver he's eating, drinking, preening, playing and doing everything a healthy keet should be doing. He just likes to follow Oliver around the cage but he is eating and everything on his own. The owners of the pet store where I got him told me that he was in his cage at the store with another parakeet for several months until the other one was sold. When that happened they said my new little guy got very depressed and thats when I bought him.
When I brought him home he got very excited because he could hear Oliver in the room but couldn't see him. Then he started getting depressed again. I'm keeping my eye on him but its been about a week and he is perfect. He is actually teaching Oliver how to use the cuttle bone and Oliver taught the new guy that spinach is yummy!

Re: Oliver and his new friend are now cage buddies [Re: smittys] #383679 09/08/09 01:50 PM
**mattie** Offline
Long Time Friend
Long Time Friend
Oh, I'm sorry--I must have read that wrong.
My apologies.

Tell Oliver and the new little guy that they are both adorable!
smile

Re: Oliver and his new friend are now cage buddies [Re: **mattie**] #383684 09/08/09 02:00 PM
S
smittys Offline OP
Regular
OP Offline
Regular
S

Re: Oliver and his new friend are now cage buddies [Re: **mattie**] #383686 09/08/09 02:02 PM
K
kksuns Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate
Platinum Star Soulmate
K
That's wonderful! I'm glad they are getting along so well.
Ziggy was stressed and depressed when he could hear Levi but not see him too.He just sat there like a bump on a log. Then when he could see him(in separate cages) it got a little better but you could tell he really really wanted to be with Levi. Like your 2, they've been inseparable ever since they moved in together.
Isn't it great how they learn new things from each other? I get the biggest kick out of it! Levi acts like a big brother too smile
I kind of like the name Sonic. What the heck...go for it!

Re: Oliver and his new friend are now cage buddies [Re: kksuns] #383703 09/08/09 04:44 PM
S
Sherby'sMom Offline
Companion
Companion
S
My two stay together during the day but I still have both the cages out and they usually sleep seperate. Sherby seems to like have a place to get away from his sometimes annoying little sis. Ditto can be kinda bossy. She chases Sherby around, or away from toys, me or the food dish when she's feeling surly.
We left them in the cage together one night and, I think, Ditto scared Sherby, and sent him into a frenzie. I don't know if she did it on purpose but I wouldn't put it past her. Sherby got his revenge a while later though. He almost completely unhooked her swing that she sleeps on. I didn't notice when I covered her up for the night and half way through the night I heard the swing fall and ditto squawk angrily. She was all right and I think the "pranks" have run there course.

Re: Oliver and his new friend are now cage buddies [Re: Sherby'sMom] #383992 09/11/09 02:45 AM
S
smittys Offline OP
Regular
OP Offline
Regular
S
I have just been noticing that my new keet is turning into a little bully but Oliver is handling him pretty well right now. Just hope it doesn't escalate into them not liking each other.

Re: Oliver and his new friend are now cage buddies [Re: smittys] #384155 09/12/09 03:28 AM
tealcandtina Offline
Long Time Friend
Long Time Friend
Such cuties! They will bicker some. give them both out of cage time.

Moderated by  Lisa Shea 

Search

Latest Posts
Upgrading my Bracelet Game
by knightgael - 01/30/23 08:44 AM
Mathematics
by Kerok - 01/26/23 05:53 AM
Nike towards the Chinese Lunar Yr inspiration
by AllanMajor - 01/25/23 07:36 AM
Why did my credit card company randomly extend my
by knightgael - 01/23/23 02:50 PM
Little Budgie Football Fans???
by Wuzzy - 01/23/23 04:56 AM
NCAA football rankings
by Wuzzy - 01/23/23 04:53 AM
Are the services of the fubotv good?
by knightgael - 01/22/23 11:13 PM
Where can I get feedback about the oncor?
by landale - 01/22/23 08:38 PM
Are product reviews important to you before you
by landale - 01/22/23 05:50 PM
Privacy Policy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!
Forum Areas

* General Discussion *

Books, TV, Movies

Da Vinci Code

Dreams

Japanese Culture

Life, Universe, Everything

Online Courses

Politics

Religious Research

Show Your Own Work

Work From Home / Writing

* Parakeets and Pets *

General Parakeet Chat

Keet Stories and Photos

Parakeet Photo Gallery

Budgie Training

Health and Medical Issues

Parakeet Breeding

In Memory Of ...

Non-Budgie Pets and Animals

Non-Budgie Animal Photos

Off-Topic for Keet Owners

Games

Animal Rights

Bird / Animal Books

Subscribe
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site