Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Louie got clipped.. #382525 09/03/09 02:25 AM
val313 Offline OP
Soulmate
OP Offline
Soulmate
I finally clipped Louie tonight. She has been running the household ragged. I cannot let her out without it ending in a 45 min chase to get her back to the cage. Plus she is getting creative when she hides. She has hidden between the cereal boxes on the fridge, the very tippy top cabinets in the laundry room, closets, and behind curtains. THen she is silent. So it takes me forever to find her. Blargh!! I am so afraid I am going to step on her or close her in a door. She can still fly short distances but she cannot get up high or far.
I felt so bad clipping her. She screeched and bit and struggled. She wont look at me now. Hopefully that will change. I am all for flighted birds .. just not when it poses a danger to them.

Any tips on starting her entire training over?? Plus Basil is still picking on her and keeping her from eating. I have to take him out for about 30min twice a day so she can eat. I have 5 food dishes in the cage and he follows her to every single one. Does any one have birds that do this??

Last edited by val313; 09/03/09 03:03 AM.

RIP Peeps
Re: Last flight of the Louie.. [Re: val313] #382528 09/03/09 02:44 AM
*helwa*
Unregistered
*helwa*
Unregistered
haha i was just talking to ant about niko doing the exact same thing !!!! but he has learned his evil ways from The princess nunu ... wild as can be that girl.

btw .. ur subject scared the junk out of me !!!! i thought louie was no more:(

Re: Last flight of the Louie.. [Re: ] #382531 09/03/09 03:02 AM
val313 Offline OP
Soulmate
OP Offline
Soulmate
oops! Now that I think about it that was not a good choice for titles. I chose it because I was yelling at her "this is your last flight bird! Enjoy it!"

RIP Peeps
Re: Last flight of the Louie.. [Re: val313] #382535 09/03/09 03:29 AM
tealcandtina Offline
Long Time Friend
Long Time Friend
Yes we had a girl who decided to claim every single thing another, a boy wanted. She ran him into the ground. We put her in time out in her own cage 3 different times for up to 5 days. She calmed down but never quit bothering the boy. I think sometimes they don't like a bird just like sometimes one person can't abide another. We finally gave our picked on boy his own cage and he is very happy. And he found a new keet friend that decided to move to his cage one day during free time and has stayed with him! Who knew!
You may have to get another cage. Just because we want them to live together, sometimes they don't and won't.

Re: Last flight of the Louie.. [Re: val313] #382536 09/03/09 03:32 AM
C
Caribbean mom :)
Unregistered
Caribbean mom :)
Unregistered
C
I think I would clip her too!! The naughty little thing!!

Can you take Louie a few times a day to a room alone for some serious training?

Re: Last flight of the Louie.. [Re: ] #382541 09/03/09 03:47 AM
B
baby blue Offline
Soulmate
Soulmate
B
good heavens girl, i near choked when i saw that!! LOL at least my heart has started again!! ozzy is the only one of the 6 that i can trust, unclipped. for all the same types of things. my ultimate fear is looking up for someone who can fly and my foot finding them. (shiverrr) they are still able to get around, just not as high or for long streaks.
don't worry, louie will stop sulking sooner than you think. either way, it is the best thing for her.it's the protection she doesn't realize she needs. ozz is trustable now because she knows what will happen if she doesn't behave. froot loop is flighted again now and is allowed out. only in the room though where she can't vanish and will go back to the cage when i tell her to "git home". the thing to remember, is that i heve had tose two yahoos for 5 yrs now. i never knew anything about the kinds of training that i am starting the new brats with, so the gals had to figure it out themselves.
there is always one troublemaker if you have more than one, sometimes no others are needed. LOL it is very common for that to go on. the solution i found, was feeding the pestered bird millet while the other was guarding the food cups!

Last edited by baby blue; 09/03/09 03:50 AM.

baby blue
Re: Last flight of the Louie.. [Re: baby blue] #382589 09/03/09 08:53 PM
P
P&R Mom
Unregistered
P&R Mom
Unregistered
P
It sounds like clipping Louie was the right decision, Val, in my opinion.

Sorry to hear Basil's a bully. Babyblue's suggestion is very intriguing! ----> "feeding the pestered bird millet while the other was guarding the food cups!" It might change the dynamics between Basil and Louie...

Re: Last flight of the Louie.. [Re: ] #382600 09/03/09 09:55 PM
val313 Offline OP
Soulmate
OP Offline
Soulmate
Louie will not eat much millet from my hand. She is pretty wild right now. I have tried putting her in another cage but she freaks out all day long. Basil may have to go by himself until he understands I am the top bird.

It is a good idea. I will try and see what she does. I am having to start from scratch with her. She is not happy with me at all.

RIP Peeps
Re: Last flight of the Louie.. [Re: val313] #382640 09/04/09 12:54 AM
B
baby blue Offline
Soulmate
Soulmate
B
i spent some time watchimg the brat pak with their chickweed this morning... every time tringkit picked up a piece, nik nak either forced him away or physically took it right out of his beak. he'd get a new piece... same thing. timed it: 14 min32 sec. tring just kept at it until nikie gave up. no wonder they call em "bird brains"!! LOL
once she sees that she may get a little bonus... she just might surprise you!

baby blue

Moderated by  Lisa Shea 

Search

Latest Posts
Parakeet aggressive once I add in toys, help!
by Alex-x - 07/30/20 11:55 PM
a parakeet pair concern
by Durov - 07/11/20 11:42 AM
Privacy Policy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!
Forum Areas

* General Discussion *

Books, TV, Movies

Da Vinci Code

Dreams

Japanese Culture

Life, Universe, Everything

Online Courses

Politics

Religious Research

Show Your Own Work

Work From Home / Writing

* Parakeets and Pets *

General Parakeet Chat

Keet Stories and Photos

Parakeet Photo Gallery

Budgie Training

Health and Medical Issues

Parakeet Breeding

In Memory Of ...

Non-Budgie Pets and Animals

Non-Budgie Animal Photos

Off-Topic for Keet Owners

Games

Animal Rights

Bird / Animal Books

Subscribe
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site