Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 14 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 13 14
Re: Islam is of the Devil [Re: janimal] #382235 09/01/09 01:13 AM
Darkness Offline
Soulmate
Soulmate
I've never seen a cross as hateful, just as my pentacle is not hateful. It is a sign of your beliefs. There are no words on them that spout hate. My family is Christian and when they wear their crosses I do not see hate I just see a cross.

When did crosses become hate? Other than when they're burned?

Edited to add: My friend wears a cross as he is a devout Baptist. He's also gay. So does that mean he hates gays because he's wearing a cross?

Last edited by Darkness; 09/01/09 01:17 AM.

Re: Islam is of the Devil [Re: Darkness] #382265 09/01/09 07:43 AM
janimal Offline
Tin Star Soulmate
Tin Star Soulmate
well, people do seem to forget that a cross is an instrument of execution. the modern day equivalent would be an electric chair.

It's All got to go!!!

BudeStrings Music Tuition
Re: Islam is of the Devil [Re: janimal] #382274 09/01/09 12:21 PM
Coco's Mama Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate
Platinum Star Soulmate
If your playing devil's advocate, I suppose it could be misconstrued as that, however ,I have never been mistaken for an executioner, for wearing a cross, nor have I ever encounter anyone who think such til now.

The cross to me is a symbol of hope, resurrection, beating death, which is very different then an electric chair.

The noose is also a symbol for hanging, but we still learned how to make them in camp survival training, if you have to catch food, lost in the forest.

Symbols depend sometimes on the context in which they are used. My best friend is gay , he wears an orthodox cross.. It has two horizontals. Someone correct me if I am wrong on the description.

Anyhoo , my goodness I just had a thought if everyone walked around saying whatever they wanted, there would be riots.

P&R mom= love your Yelling fire at 5 vs 18 analogy. You are a great debater/speaker. Simple yet to the point.

Re: Islam is of the Devil [Re: Coco's Mama] #382284 09/01/09 02:59 PM
*helwa*
Unregistered
*helwa*
Unregistered
the t shirts worn were straight up prostletizing (sp?)

wearing a cross or other symbol is not prostletizing, its your business.

there is a difference between wearing something that simply affirms your own faith and someone thing that either lsams someone elses faith or invites someone to yours.

schools are not the place for preaching, of ANY kind, its a place to go learn the given cirriculum, religion not being part of that.

if someone gets offended by one person wearing a cross or star of david or even hijab, that is there problem, as it is not hurting them, inviting them to join anything, nor insulting their religion, its a symbol, no words, no preaching.

one persons rights end where another persons begin ...

Re: Islam is of the Devil [Re: ] #382295 09/01/09 05:15 PM
BLR Offline
Copper Star Soulmate
Copper Star Soulmate
Students in any learning environment have no rights. Just try to stash you weed in your locker, then tell them they need a search warrant - they don't, you have no righs.

Re: Islam is of the Devil [Re: BLR] #382319 09/01/09 07:46 PM
I
IronFront Offline
Soulmate
Soulmate
I
Originally Posted By: BLR
Students in any learning environment have no rights. Just try to stash you weed in your locker, then tell them they need a search warrant - they don't, you have no righs.
They have rights. They have the right to not be beaten, among others.

Re: Islam is of the Devil [Re: IronFront] #382324 09/01/09 08:13 PM
P
P&R Mom
Unregistered
P&R Mom
Unregistered
P
Originally Posted By: Coco's Mama
P&R mom= love your Yelling fire at 5 vs 18 analogy. You are a great debater/speaker. Simple yet to the point.
Thank you! Actually I tend to babble on and on, so I'm trying to work on getting to the point faster! smile

Originally Posted By: *helwa*
if someone gets offended by one person wearing a cross or star of david or even hijab, that is there problem, as it is not hurting them, inviting them to join anything, nor insulting their religion
And there is the difference between wearing, say, a swastika vs. a cross: a swastika is inherently insulting & hurtful --its entire symbolic meaning is of a group of hate-mongers [mongerers?]-- whereas most people most of the time who wear crosses etc. are not advocating hatred or discrimination (can we leave Mel Gibson out of the argument? lol).

Originally Posted By: yowo
They have rights. They have the right to not be beaten, among others.
Well, if we want to get technical, adults have the right to step in and remove a child from an abusive situation; the child does not have the right to leave the home and go live somewhere else. In other words, children themselves do not have any rights; adults have the right to step in if kids are neglected, skipping school, working 12 hours a day, etc. etc.

While I feel for kids in some situations, please consider how many Columbine-type tragedies have occurred and how many parents said things like, "I didn't know Junior had guns in his closet -- I felt he had a right to privacy." Wrong!

Re: Islam is of the Devil [Re: ] #382358 09/01/09 10:55 PM
*helwa*
Unregistered
*helwa*
Unregistered
yes some symbols are not socially acceptable, they are inherantly bad as they bring up ideals of racism and predjudice.

Re: Islam is of the Devil [Re: ] #382456 09/02/09 05:10 PM
Cetan Offline
Soulmate
Soulmate
I did my student teaching in a public school, a middle school in Ann Arbor which is a fairly liberal community yet there were dress codes for students including what could be on shirts. I am sure many would feel uncomfortable if students were wearing shirts saying Jews Killed Christ or Blacks Are An Inferior Race. And the right to free speech ends when it infringes on the rights of others, there are slander and libel laws.

Re: Islam is of the Devil [Re: ] #382519 09/03/09 12:28 AM
I
IronFront Offline
Soulmate
Soulmate
I
Originally Posted By: P&R Mom
While I feel for kids in some situations, please consider how many Columbine-type tragedies have occurred and how many parents said things like, "I didn't know Junior had guns in his closet -- I felt he had a right to privacy." Wrong!
Well I kind of doubt they expected their kid to have guns. If they didn't see a problem, they'd have no reason to search.

Page 8 of 14 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 13 14

Moderated by  Lisa Shea 

Search

Latest Posts
GARDEN FLOWERS
by ronyb - 02/24/21 12:51 PM
Yoga
by chandkumar3g - 02/04/21 02:58 PM
A Scanner Darkly!!
by EVA21SA - 02/01/21 09:45 AM
Policing
by EVA21SA - 01/31/21 08:28 AM
How many bullets?
by EVA21SA - 01/31/21 08:17 AM
Across the River is FREE
by EVA21SA - 01/29/21 09:04 AM
War and Fashion
by EVA21SA - 01/29/21 08:54 AM
Origami flower bouquets
by EVA21SA - 01/28/21 09:05 AM
NBA 2K21 unskippable ads"will probably be repaired
by Dingbest - 01/26/21 01:30 AM
So the jist of this ; Get CCB and recharge chaotic
by Dingbest - 01/26/21 01:29 AM
Privacy Policy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!
Forum Areas

* General Discussion *

Books, TV, Movies

Da Vinci Code

Dreams

Japanese Culture

Life, Universe, Everything

Online Courses

Politics

Religious Research

Show Your Own Work

Work From Home / Writing

* Parakeets and Pets *

General Parakeet Chat

Keet Stories and Photos

Parakeet Photo Gallery

Budgie Training

Health and Medical Issues

Parakeet Breeding

In Memory Of ...

Non-Budgie Pets and Animals

Non-Budgie Animal Photos

Off-Topic for Keet Owners

Games

Animal Rights

Bird / Animal Books

Subscribe
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site