Print Thread
Painful preening #381795 08/27/09 10:03 PM
_
___JA Offline OP
Long Time Friend
OP Offline
Long Time Friend
_
Rocky always has had an obsession with my moles or pimples or freckles or anyone's thinking about it. He loooooves to preen them, however, as you might imagine, its very painful. I've always discouraged it. When he does it, I say, 'No' and distract him or remove him from my shoulder/chest/neck/wherever he is that hes accessing them. This had seemed to be working, but the past few days hes been rebelling and will go after them as soon as he comes out of the cage. It takes alot of work to distract him from them... One time I flinched when he did it unexpectedly and my head bumped into him, sending him in a flying panic. Poor baby.

My question is... Does anyone have any experience with this type of obsession and what did they do to solve it?

Re: Painful preening [Re: ___JA] #381796 08/27/09 10:12 PM
val313 Offline
Soulmate
Soulmate
My mothers Quaker parrot likes to pick at her moles. He also likes to nibble off the cuticles on her nails! Ouch!
She has worked and worked with him to get him to stop. The big thing that worked was not to yell or raise her voice. If she did he would do it more. Also he was banned from her shoulder if he nipped her moles. He soon learned that shoulders were a privilage and not a snack bar.
If he was really determined he would get a time out in the cage and she would ignore him for a while. HOpe this helps. It does hurt! I have had him pull out my eyebrow hairs before and nip my earlobes. Not cool.

RIP Peeps
Re: Painful preening [Re: val313] #381902 08/28/09 09:38 PM
Cetan Offline
Soulmate
Soulmate
Princess, my green cheek cinure, is the same, she ned to preen any imperfection. Then of course the spots she picked at on me are a little rough so she has to keep preening them and, well you get the idea. She also loves to rip off cuticles, bite through my nails and seems to think my lips are impefections that need to be bit off

Re: Painful preening [Re: Cetan] #381907 08/28/09 10:16 PM
_
___JA Offline OP
Long Time Friend
OP Offline
Long Time Friend
_
I took your advice Val and when he kept persisting, I made shoulders off limits for the rest of the out of cage time. Hopefully eventually he'll get the idea he's not allowed... However I'm pretty sure he knows already, he just does it anyway lol!

Re: Painful preening [Re: ___JA] #382394 09/02/09 03:01 AM
K
kksuns Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate
Platinum Star Soulmate
K
Levi used to be a neck biter and boy did it HURT! If he didn't stop after a couple times of me telling him NO BITE firmly, I put him in his cage for a time out. Of course telling him he was a bad boy, mommy said no bite. He doesn't bite my neck any more! It didn't take him too long to figure out why he was being put in time out. Probably 5-6 times. He hates time outs, and usually takes it out on a toy in his cage by beating it up and acccking at it AND me! LOL
I usually do time outs for about 10 mins or so. Or at least until he settles down and starts playing nicely instead of being a brat.

Re: Painful preening [Re: ___JA] #384197 09/12/09 03:22 PM
tealcandtina Offline
Long Time Friend
Long Time Friend
Yes Justin my gcc's love to preen us and out come any little hais they can see, tiny little hairs! Yep moles, pimples etc. We had to break Bella of it she was so good at it.
We stopped letting her sit anywhere except our hands. Ever time she would sneak in a pluck we told her no. They hear the tone of voice you use, the inflection. If she continued we put her back in the cage and told her why. She has stopped!

Re: Painful preening [Re: tealcandtina] #384215 09/12/09 07:01 PM
_
___JA Offline OP
Long Time Friend
OP Offline
Long Time Friend
_
Things are going well with this! I do what you did tealcandtina, which is only allow him on my arm or hands if he's going to persist, and if he won't stop persisting, put him in his cage. He HAATES that lol. Its working; now, he preens gently. He only goes after my beard(lmao) or simply licks my face (lmao again). Hes realize pimples and moles are off limits. If he strays and goes for a pimple or mole... down to the arm.

Moderated by  Lisa Shea 

Search

Latest Posts
Freemasons and the Da Vinci Code
by EVA21SA - 01/18/21 07:40 AM
Total Freedom
by EVA21SA - 01/16/21 08:52 AM
Matthew 12:40
by EVA21SA - 01/16/21 08:45 AM
What does this dream mean?
by vicyclethree - 01/14/21 06:57 PM
Bravo
by EVA21SA - 01/09/21 08:27 PM
Confused about direct descendent (spoilers)
by EVA21SA - 01/09/21 08:27 PM
One male has mated two females...
by EVA21SA - 12/22/20 09:07 AM
Privacy Policy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!
Forum Areas

* General Discussion *

Books, TV, Movies

Da Vinci Code

Dreams

Japanese Culture

Life, Universe, Everything

Online Courses

Politics

Religious Research

Show Your Own Work

Work From Home / Writing

* Parakeets and Pets *

General Parakeet Chat

Keet Stories and Photos

Parakeet Photo Gallery

Budgie Training

Health and Medical Issues

Parakeet Breeding

In Memory Of ...

Non-Budgie Pets and Animals

Non-Budgie Animal Photos

Off-Topic for Keet Owners

Games

Animal Rights

Bird / Animal Books

Subscribe
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site