Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
annoyed with the whole dog issue #380567 08/19/09 11:41 PM
val313 Offline OP
Soulmate
OP Offline
Soulmate
We have come to call the dog Greta. She has now been with us for a week. She was the stray that my husband found. Every person that has been interested in her have changed their minds. The shelters locally cannot take her. The humane society will charge us $50 to drop her off. Then she will likely be euthanized because they are over full right now and she is not spayed.
I contacted a German Shepherd rescue last night and they said they would take her. I explained that we picked her up off the street and needed to find her a home. The man said that was great they would get her to a good place. I said that we could not afford to spay her or keep her much longer. He said that was okay they could still help.

Then today I get a message from the rescue saying that they would take her. But she would have to be spayed, up to date on vaccines, on heartworm, plus we would have to pay a $20 fee to surrender her. Total it all up and it would be about $150 for them to take her!

Is this normal?? I can see if she was a family pet. But she is not. And what happened to we can help you out??
It may not sound like a lot of money to spend to some but I am not working right now. My family, my bills and my birds kinda come first. I thought they would understand.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this.? Am I being unreasonable??

RIP Peeps
Re: annoyed with the whole dog issue [Re: val313] #380577 08/20/09 12:41 AM
B
baby blue Offline
Soulmate
Soulmate
B
no you aren't. your family and yourself have to come first. the new rules for rescue are out of hand. my assumption is, the things you just listed out are the reasons she is a stray in the first place. whoever owned her and for whatever reason, couldn't keep her, were probably not able to meet the criteria to have her taken in by the rescue and did not drop her at the humane society because they "couldn't bear to have her put down". who knows, they may not have been financially able to keep her and thus couldn't even afford the drop off fee.they probably hoped someone would find her and keep her. as for the rescue... if you went and had all of this done, why not keep her yourself? you should not have to pay for all that stuff so someone else can waltz in and adopt her. i hate to say things like this, it tears me apart... it is probably better to have her put down,(it would be better than the alternative) but $50 is alot of cash, especially when it should not be your responsibility in the first place. i also hate to falsify stuff, but, maybe you can put in a call about a stray that is a nusince animal (begging, at garbage's)and have her picked up. it looks like she, sadly, will have to be put down either way. with a family to support... that will eliminate the drop off fee. i know that sounds callous, cruel and uncaring but that way you are looking after your family and unfortunately doing the dog a favor with a humane passing rather than abuse, injury, illness, starvation, accident with a vehicle.... a multitude of horrors are what these poor animals on the street face every hour. i wish so hard that discussions like this never have to happen, but it sounds like probably having her picked up is the kindest thing you can do for her. frown please don't be angry with me for my reply. frown

Last edited by baby blue; 08/20/09 12:43 AM.

baby blue
Re: annoyed with the whole dog issue [Re: baby blue] #380583 08/20/09 01:42 AM
BLR Offline
Copper Star Soulmate
Copper Star Soulmate
BB - you response was very to the point and very accurate.

Val - call your vet, explain the situation and ask him/her how much it would cost to have the dog put down. There is nothing wrong with doing the humaine thing in this situation. Putting the dog down is the humain thing to do. Also, you need to do it before you hate yourself either way.

This may sound terrible, but it comes with years and years of taking in a lot of strays. I tell myself when I see a stray "you can't save them all" and move on. It is hard to do but it is so true.

Good luck with what ever you have to do.

Re: annoyed with the whole dog issue [Re: BLR] #380600 08/20/09 02:25 AM
val313 Offline OP
Soulmate
OP Offline
Soulmate
You did not upset me at all. The thought has crossed my mind. I do really really like her and think that she can be a great pet. I am just so annoyed with the fact that they want to charge me so much. Like you both said if I did all those things why shouldnt I get to keep her? If I didnt sneeze so much I might.
Tonight she was climbing my back privacy fence. The slats are not up and down but horizontal so she was using them like a ladder. ARGH!!!! I have 4ft chain link on the other sides.

I will tell you that I am giving her till Sunday for someone to claim her. I put up flyers tonight at the pet stores in town.

It may come to what you both have suggested. I am strong enough and mature enough to handle it if I have to. Not sure about my husband though..

RIP Peeps
Re: annoyed with the whole dog issue [Re: val313] #380611 08/20/09 04:06 AM
B
baby blue Offline
Soulmate
Soulmate
B
well, this may sound really mean but... he's gonna have to "suck it up princess." i hope he would not expect to keep her if you are allergic. if it is the idea of it, i guess maybe he should read the posts and perhaps that will help. being softhearted is often a very hard thing to be... your heart wants something but your mind says otherwise. getting a heart and mind to agree on something is sometimes a sad, hard job for the person who has to listen to both of them and make a tough choice. i hope someone claims her, but if not i am glad she has had the good luck to be helped by a loving, smart and compassionate person. my ultimate respect to you. (((hugs)))

baby blue
Re: annoyed with the whole dog issue [Re: baby blue] #380619 08/20/09 08:29 AM
*helwa*
Unregistered
*helwa*
Unregistered
no you are not being unreasonable and yes it is normal.

it costs ALOT of money to shelter an animal.

right now, shelters are so overwhelmed with dogs and cats and other animals.

yet their funds are extremly low, lower than they have been in decades. We have had to totally turn off the electricity in our dog kennels frown

if people do not donate money to local shelters, those shelters have no money, they operate 100% on donations from the public.

right now, people are losing homes and jobs and donating is the last thing on their minds, which is perfectly understandable, but that means local non profits suffer and the services they offer are less and less.

it sucks because animals suffer but its unavoidable.

many of these shelters do not own the vets they use, the vet has their own practice and donates their services to the shelter, either for free or at a discounted price.

the vet is not getting clients right now either so they possibly can not afford to give these services for free or discounted prices, so they charge more which costs the shelter more ... that money has to come from somewhere ...

did you make it very very clear that she is not your dog and that there is no way you can keep her, you have no ability to keep her, and you are trying to do what is right by finding her a home? like really really stress that as firmly as you can without being rude.

they dont like to charge people like this, trust me, ive worked in admissions and we hate having to do it, we know people cant pay it and thsoe thn can dont ussually want to.

maybe you could call various vet offices and talk to them, many vets are willing to take in strays.

or try to just find her a home ....

Re: annoyed with the whole dog issue [Re: ] #380626 08/20/09 01:55 PM
S
skipperdog Offline
Good Friend
Good Friend
S
I totally understand. Please don't take this wrong, but if you are allergic to her, she needs to go asap.

I had a cat and because I didn't want her to be euthanized, I kept her in spite of my constant sneezing and running nose. But then something happened. Because of the constant strain on my immune system and congestion, I started getting colds, ear infections and sore throats. I kept the cat anyway. T

hen I started having what I thought were panic attacks. It wasn't panic attacks; I was developing asthma. I tried and tried to find her a home, and it almost cost me my health. Finally I took her to the spca. She was adopted, but I knew the chances that she wouldn't be were good when I took her. Please don't risk your health.

Re: annoyed with the whole dog issue [Re: skipperdog] #380632 08/20/09 02:22 PM
K
kksuns Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate
Platinum Star Soulmate
K
Oh man Val, I feel so bad for you and your hubby frown Here you are trying to do the right thing and there's all these dam roadblocks in your way.
I was going to suggest putting flyers with pics in all your local pet stores and vet offices. Maybe with her story saying something like "Please help me. I need someone to love who will love me in return. I am a very good girl and I promise to be a faithful companion and friend if only you give me a chance. My former humans abandoned me and some very nice people found me and took me home,cleaned me up and are providing me with food, shelter and love, but there is no way they can keep me.I only have a few days left. Local shelters suggest they put me to sleep forever!! Please help!! I am housebroken, love people(if you can see that she does, and kids if you know about that )and will return all the love you give me."
I think seeing pics of how pretty she is, she is GORGEOUS, and hearing her sad story in her words will tug on some animal lovers heartstrings.
Another thought is that you could do the same type thing and leave a can for donations to get her spayed and vaccinations etc so that the rescue place will take her?
Best of luck Val. And know that you really are doing all you can do. Your health and pets you already have come first.

Re: annoyed with the whole dog issue [Re: kksuns] #380635 08/20/09 02:42 PM
S
skipperdog Offline
Good Friend
Good Friend
S
Hey, I like the donations idea! She is a nice dog, young, not a "bully" breed, female, and is light colored. Those all make her more adoptable than a lot of others. Maybe if you can raise the money, you can get her into the shelter.

Best of luck. You're very kind hearted.

Re: annoyed with the whole dog issue [Re: skipperdog] #380653 08/20/09 03:38 PM
val313 Offline OP
Soulmate
OP Offline
Soulmate
I do understand that shelters are stuggling. I volunteered for several years in college at a no kill shelter helping dogs after they were spayed or neutered. I get that it costs lost of money to vet and help a dog.

Helwa- I sent a very long email explaining in clear words that she was not our dog and that we were just trying to get her in a better situation. I also explained this to the guy on the phone and he said he understood. Then to get a long email saying we would have to have all these things done before the would concider her? I was a bit taken back. Then I had explained that I was feeding her Pedigree. I got an earfull about how horrible it was to give her. I had no idea. Just trying to feed the poor dog. I felt pretty judged.

I just wanted to help her. I had no idea that it would end up being so hard. I really respect the people that do this their whole lives.

We decided after a long arguement to try and find a home within the next week. She is not allowed in the house unless it is horridly hot or storming. I cant keep sneezing all night long smile

We put up flyers last night at 4 pet stores in town. My husband is sending out an email to his work after getting it approved.
My last resort is craigslist.

Thank you for the help and advice.

RIP Peeps
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Lisa Shea 

Search

Latest Posts
Parakeet aggressive once I add in toys, help!
by Alex-x - 07/30/20 11:55 PM
a parakeet pair concern
by Durov - 07/11/20 11:42 AM
Privacy Policy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!
Forum Areas

* General Discussion *

Books, TV, Movies

Da Vinci Code

Dreams

Japanese Culture

Life, Universe, Everything

Online Courses

Politics

Religious Research

Show Your Own Work

Work From Home / Writing

* Parakeets and Pets *

General Parakeet Chat

Keet Stories and Photos

Parakeet Photo Gallery

Budgie Training

Health and Medical Issues

Parakeet Breeding

In Memory Of ...

Non-Budgie Pets and Animals

Non-Budgie Animal Photos

Off-Topic for Keet Owners

Games

Animal Rights

Bird / Animal Books

Subscribe
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site