Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
something about Lou Lou #380376 08/18/09 04:59 PM
val313 Offline OP
Soulmate
OP Offline
Soulmate
I am not sure what to do with Lou. She/he is having all kinds of issues with getting along. Lou is my 1st keet and she is 2 years old. Over the course of 2 years i have introduced her to 4 new friends.
First Peeps. They hated each other and Peeps always attacked Louie.

Second Basil- He was a bit nicer but Louie did not like him. He was busy trying to woo Peeps. He also has bullied her into not eating which resulted in a vet trip about a month ago. He is a bit better and does not pick at her as much.

Third Edgar- They somewhat got along. Edgar was very sick for a while so Louie stayed away from him. Now Edgar is beating up on Louie. Mostly to get to the food dish.

Fourth Patches- Louie hates patches with a passion. She goes after him all the time. They have been in feather ripping fights. However, recently Louie was on Patches back. Not sure if it was a fight or a "hey baby" thing but Patches was not happy.

I dont know what to do with her. She is the smallest of the four and does not get along with anyone. If I put her by herself she cries and panics. If I leave her she fights with everyone.

I also am not sure if she is a she or a he. We have never been sure. Any thoughts or advice on this? She is little and angry but she is still my baby. I just dont know what to do with her.

Last edited by val313; 08/18/09 05:01 PM.

RIP Peeps
Re: something about Lou Lou [Re: val313] #380381 08/18/09 05:34 PM
*helwa*
Unregistered
*helwa*
Unregistered
i would advice getting her into foraging and toys that keep her busy mentally and physically, a busy bird is not a mean bird smile

paper toys, rope toys, popscicle stick toys, hiding millet in kleenex purses, and other foraging activities smile

nunu is that way, so tiny and mean as sin, buts he does get along with others just bullies them .. i keep her busy smile

Re: something about Lou Lou [Re: ] #380384 08/18/09 06:04 PM
val313 Offline OP
Soulmate
OP Offline
Soulmate
I have tried. I have never even seen Louie play with a toy. Trust me I watch. The only thing that bird likes is to look out the window and sing. She seems to be the happiest when she is there.

RIP Peeps
Re: something about Lou Lou [Re: val313] #380386 08/18/09 06:19 PM
Darkness Offline
Soulmate
Soulmate
So funny you mentioned the window Val. Journi is the same way, temper wise and everything. But she loves the window and to sing to it.

So one day while shopping at Walmart, I found a bird toy mirror with bell that looks like a window. I bought it and placed it in the cage. She sings to it constantly as she does with the window and she's been a LOT nicer since.

Re: something about Lou Lou [Re: Darkness] #380390 08/18/09 06:43 PM
*helwa*
Unregistered
*helwa*
Unregistered
look into getting her a window perch smile and let her sit there as long as she wants...

i have this thing and its awesome:

http://www.pet-dog-cat-supply-store.com/shop/index.php?page=shop-flypage-8065#longdesc

its for feeder outside birds but i hang inside the window and they looove it.

my mom got me this at christmas, but ive yet to use it, but would be awesome once i do use it

http://www.backyardbirdsdiscoverycenter.com/proddetail.php?prod=CS-26400

of course id turn it around so my birds have access to it and it sticks out the outside of the window.

i used to have this forever ago and jazzie and nunu used to love to take baths in it LOL ... i have no idea what happened to it though but it was cool

http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1963699&CAWELAID=109377633

Re: something about Lou Lou [Re: ] #380392 08/18/09 06:48 PM
val313 Offline OP
Soulmate
OP Offline
Soulmate
oooh! I love those ideas. I bet if I put a small amount of millet in there she would stay. I will have to look for those. Thank you for the idea.

RIP Peeps
Re: something about Lou Lou [Re: val313] #380393 08/18/09 06:50 PM
*helwa*
Unregistered
*helwa*
Unregistered
my keets love it so much, the 2 compartment one is what im using now and i have seeds in one side and veggie in the other, nunu threw all the veggies out one day except a little bit, crawled into the compartment and took a nap LMAO she reeked of brocoli for days :S

just keep in mind if putting water or fresh foods that the window is alot warmer than the cage smile

Re: something about Lou Lou [Re: ] #380394 08/18/09 07:00 PM
val313 Offline OP
Soulmate
OP Offline
Soulmate
I have a shaded window that looks out on my bird feeders. She will love it. I will have to convince her that it will not eat her if she gets in. lol

I had her outside in a small travel cage this weekend at my parents house and she was soo happy. I dont dare do that at my house with all the cats.

RIP Peeps
Re: something about Lou Lou [Re: val313] #380396 08/18/09 07:08 PM
*helwa*
Unregistered
*helwa*
Unregistered
aww yea i put my birds out on the patio ALOT during fall wint and spring here, summer is way too hot and sunny. they absolutely LOVE it and so do i, my house is so quiet when they are outside haha and my bedroom (where y office is and i am) as well as the livingroom has an all glass door to the patio so i can always see them.

when i first had jazzie and nunu the patio was screened in and i had so many plants out there they LOVED it!!

stick some millet sprays in there, that should entice her !!

Re: something about Lou Lou [Re: ] #380441 08/18/09 11:36 PM
P
Pudgie's mom
Unregistered
Pudgie's mom
Unregistered
P
I wish I had some ideas for you, Val. Lou Lou sounds like a handful. I'm inclined to agree with Helwa's point about her being bored. On the other hand, if she likes to sit and sing, maybe she just wants to be left alone? .....

Moderated by  Lisa Shea 

Search

Latest Posts
Parakeet aggressive once I add in toys, help!
by Alex-x - 07/30/20 11:55 PM
a parakeet pair concern
by Durov - 07/11/20 11:42 AM
Privacy Policy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!
Forum Areas

* General Discussion *

Books, TV, Movies

Da Vinci Code

Dreams

Japanese Culture

Life, Universe, Everything

Online Courses

Politics

Religious Research

Show Your Own Work

Work From Home / Writing

* Parakeets and Pets *

General Parakeet Chat

Keet Stories and Photos

Parakeet Photo Gallery

Budgie Training

Health and Medical Issues

Parakeet Breeding

In Memory Of ...

Non-Budgie Pets and Animals

Non-Budgie Animal Photos

Off-Topic for Keet Owners

Games

Animal Rights

Bird / Animal Books

Subscribe
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site