Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
To clip or not to clip #379735 08/13/09 01:21 AM
val313 Offline OP
Soulmate
OP Offline
Soulmate
Louie is fully flighted. She is being a pill lately. I cannot catch her when she is out. Her training is totally out the window. I am so afraid she is going to escape and get hurt. Edgar is flighted and will come when I call him. Basil and Patches are clipped and easy to manage.
I am thinking of clipping her and starting her training over. I have to transport them this week.

Would you clip a parakeet that has been flighted for about 6 months?
I hate to take away her wings but she needs to be retrained.

RIP Peeps
Re: To clip or not to clip [Re: val313] #379743 08/13/09 03:07 AM
val313 Offline OP
Soulmate
OP Offline
Soulmate
Would that be cruel to take away her flight?

RIP Peeps
Re: To clip or not to clip [Re: val313] #379748 08/13/09 03:16 AM
Puds Offline
Long Time Friend
Long Time Friend
From what i feel you have a wild bird in the home. My thoughts are this

If you cannot catch her she can get in alot more danger then if you clip them. Thank god only her training went out the window. If you spend time with her after you clipped them and train her she should be just as happy. Also if the others are more tame and clipped she will fit in better. With you transporting them i think you should also clip them. Are you going to be in a strange enviroment, or at least in a unsafe for birds area?
clip them
I feel that its not cruel! You clearly are looking out for her, and not what you want. You made it clear that you want her to be safe and happy. She will be much safer as long as you do not turn her into a bomb...and she can be more social with the clipped budgies. It will take a while for her to get used to though, so be super cautious of those first few flght attemps, she will learn.

Good luck retraining! was she super tame in the beginning?

New pics soon smile
Re: To clip or not to clip [Re: Puds] #379749 08/13/09 03:20 AM
val313 Offline OP
Soulmate
OP Offline
Soulmate
She was. I have not been able to train them everyday like I usually do. She is in her terrible two now and impossible. I have to take them to my parents this weekend. We are helping them with the house and will be gone several days. They live out in the country so I would feel better if she was clipped. Wings can always grow out again. I just feel like I am taking her freedom and birdiness away. If that makes sense.

RIP Peeps
Re: To clip or not to clip [Re: val313] #379751 08/13/09 03:37 AM
Puds Offline
Long Time Friend
Long Time Friend
I understand! i am thinking the same thing, but i know as soon as i can get in to get puddles wings clipped they will be. i do not want my bird on my windows where i can climb to get only. I prefer to have a perched bird, so clipped is the best for me. How long did it take for her to discover she could fly where she wanted? (just a referance to see when i should clip Puddles wings)

Do all your birds hang around together? if so the others should help with the transition.

I have heard others clip only some of the feahters, for appearance and only slight change in flight. Have you heard of this? Maybe look into that. If you want Louie to still be able to fly a bit that option may work best for you. Hmm i heard the girl that painted her nails blue (gar whats her name smile does that clip and you could ask her for tips and see if she recommends it to you.

New pics soon smile
Re: To clip or not to clip [Re: Puds] #379754 08/13/09 04:05 AM
L
Luvanimalsdearly Offline
Good Friend
Good Friend
L
I had a bad experience with clipping. When I bought Fred his wings were not clipped enough and he was not trained enough. I took him and clipped his wings. I regretted that. Luckily after many many broken blood feathers his flight feathers grew back. In your situation I would clip. Good luck!

Re: To clip or not to clip [Re: Luvanimalsdearly] #379758 08/13/09 04:36 AM
B
baby blue Offline
Soulmate
Soulmate
B
i agree with clipping. when i got the babies, i had medical probs with 2 birds, family members and some work that had me away from the house. my niece wanted to hold one (i had already started training when it got ill and it is mortified of a hand in the cage now) during this time, they have all become flighted again. red zipped out the door and scared the willies out of my poor niece. there was a major fiasco when all 4 were suddenly loose in the room. she was squealing, birds were squawking and bouncing off walls and windows and zooming the scared little girl. it was scary, for all of us and i hated the thought of one of the birds being hurt. i would have been very upset and my niece (who loves the birds) would probably be frightened forever. i had to towel 3 of the 4 birds and it is one of my most hated resorts. tomorrow i will be clipping again for sure. i am defiantly side with kawaii on this one. better safe than sorry.

baby blue
Re: To clip or not to clip [Re: baby blue] #379761 08/13/09 05:15 AM
C
cyberbud Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend
C
Emily was flighted for about a year...but she too decided she was the alpha bird. She would come to me when I asked as long as it wasn't time for her to go back into her cage. Only exception was at night, that was almost never a problem.

In June I decided enough was enough. My son (and friends) were home from college and so it became more difficult to monitor the doors.

Em was miffed for the first week or so...now she's fine. We are working on training again.

Kathy

"Many have forgotten this truth...You remain responsible, forever, for what you have tamed."
Re: To clip or not to clip [Re: val313] #379802 08/13/09 05:32 PM
L
Love My Budgies Offline
Long Time Friend
Long Time Friend
L
Only you can weigh out the options, pros & cons and make a choice. Have you thought over every scenario and are ok with anything that may happen due to your decision? If so, you will be making an educated decision and that is what matters.
It could go either way-they could be happy and easier to train, or they could become depressed and mistrusting.
I know I tend to be an extreme animal lover/advocate, but I personally could never clip my birds' wings. I would rather spend all my time bird proofing my home, educating my family, and training my birds consistently so I wouldn't have to. To me, they are birds and birds fly. Just like I would not clip a child's legs for running away from me, I would not clip wings so my birds could not fly away. Extreme, perhaps to you, but birds fly, if you don't want them to, why get a bird(s)?

Re: To clip or not to clip [Re: Love My Budgies] #379806 08/13/09 05:58 PM
val313 Offline OP
Soulmate
OP Offline
Soulmate
LMB - I appreciate your honesty with me. I do love watching her fly around and being free. And yes birds have wings and are made to fly. One of my little clipped guys flies very well. But he is a determined little xxxxxx. I do not go extreme with my clipping. I want them to have the ability to fly around just not high up.
I would not be concidering this option if I wasnt transporting them. I have to transport them several times in the coming months so that is why I am thinking of clipping.
Edgar will come when called as will Basil and Patches. Louie used to be this way but in the past few months she has gotten "wild". She comes when she wants to.
I am just afraid that if something horrid were to happen and she got out at my parents house I would never be able to get her.

Last edited by PDM; 08/13/09 06:26 PM.

RIP Peeps
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Lisa Shea 

Search

Latest Posts
Parakeet aggressive once I add in toys, help!
by Alex-x - 07/30/20 11:55 PM
a parakeet pair concern
by Durov - 07/11/20 11:42 AM
Privacy Policy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!
Forum Areas

* General Discussion *

Books, TV, Movies

Da Vinci Code

Dreams

Japanese Culture

Life, Universe, Everything

Online Courses

Politics

Religious Research

Show Your Own Work

Work From Home / Writing

* Parakeets and Pets *

General Parakeet Chat

Keet Stories and Photos

Parakeet Photo Gallery

Budgie Training

Health and Medical Issues

Parakeet Breeding

In Memory Of ...

Non-Budgie Pets and Animals

Non-Budgie Animal Photos

Off-Topic for Keet Owners

Games

Animal Rights

Bird / Animal Books

Subscribe
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site