Page 1 of 2 1 2
It's OFFICIAL.. My Keets HATE ME!! #378751 08/05/09 11:37 PM
M
MgateTina Offline OP
Companion
OP Offline
Companion
M
Ok, So I wrote a post last night about my cuties not wanting to eat any of their fruits & veggies & I got some helpful info.. Now another issue.. First I will have had my Buglies 1 week tomorrow, the first 2-3 days I let them adjust to their cage.. The 4th day Piper was getting on my finger.. & I have no idea what's happened since then, but my birds won't come near me!!! I just had a little play session with them, I let them out a bit, and they had some free room to roam.. but I literally have to put out a perch for them to get on.. They will NOT perch on my finger anymore. Piper is the leader, Cleo the follower.. & even now it seems that when I put my hand in their cage they are flying to their highest perch. This was not the case at first! They were more comfy with me the first few days then now. frown I know it takes time, but it seems we are stepping backwards not forwards.. I think they hate me!!

Last edited by MgateTina; 08/05/09 11:38 PM.

Re: It's OFFICIAL.. My Keets HATE ME!! [Re: MgateTina] #378752 08/05/09 11:47 PM
M
MgateTina Offline OP
Companion
OP Offline
Companion
M
I'm sorry I should've posted this in the Training Section.. I didn't see that before. New to the site as you can all see!!!

Re: It's OFFICIAL.. My Keets HATE ME!! [Re: MgateTina] #378756 08/06/09 12:03 AM
J
james'94 Offline
Regular
Regular
J
im goeing through this too they dont hate you they are scared of you remember you are bigger than them. when you just get them they do anything out of fear now that they have settled down they are just responding to things differantly.

Re: It's OFFICIAL.. My Keets HATE ME!! [Re: james'94] #378758 08/06/09 12:13 AM
M
MgateTina Offline OP
Companion
OP Offline
Companion
M
I know you are right.. I just wish that for such smart birds they were smart enough to realize "hey this girl is pretty cool!!, she feeds us, gives us baths, & cleans our cage!!!" LOL. But I know it takes time.. it's just discouraging! People make fun of me all the time because I am a crazy animal lover! I have rescued 3 baby birds this summer (2 cardinals & a robin) & not to mention I put my life on the line almost once a week stopping in the middle of the road (cars going 65mph!!) to pick up diamondback terrapins... (I live near the bay & beach) So, I just wish my Keets would realize it!!! I have 2 cats too & although I have made it 150% impossible for my cats to get near the cage unless I am supervising them being curious.. The birds DO NOT seemed phased WHAT SO EVER by my kitties, and my one cat is 22lbs!! But the birds could care less infact I think they are just as curious as the cats, but they will not be getting close enough to find out!! How long have you had your budgie for? & do you have only 1?

Last edited by MgateTina; 08/06/09 12:14 AM. Reason: spelling

Re: It's OFFICIAL.. My Keets HATE ME!! [Re: MgateTina] #378768 08/06/09 01:20 AM
C
Caribbean mom :)
Unregistered
Unregistered
C
At first they are too scared to realize they can pull away from you. Just take a step back, take a deep breath (they can sense you are tense) and revert to perch training. As they get more used to the perch, and more used to your hand in the cage changing water and food and such (moving very slowly and talking sweetly while doing it of course) shorten the perch you use for perch training. Your hand will slowly get closer to them as they hop on the familiar perch.

With two it is bound to take longer than with one and either way it takes time and patience.

Re: It's OFFICIAL.. My Keets HATE ME!! [Re: ] #378772 08/06/09 01:32 AM
M
MgateTina Offline OP
Companion
OP Offline
Companion
M
Yes I am taking that advice 100% perch training seems to be the way to go for me atthe moment.. & I just have to realize it will happen eventually (I hope). Thank You! Either way, they such a joy to watch even while in their cage... They are so funny. I love the way they wooble to eachother when one has an itch, and all of the sudden the other is scratching it! Very entertaining! & cute as buttons!

Re: It's OFFICIAL.. My Keets HATE ME!! [Re: MgateTina] #378775 08/06/09 01:48 AM
C
Unregistered
Unregistered
C
I get so much enjoyment out of my flock!! And now I finally found a converter for my digital video so I can post some of the cuter videos!!! smile

Re: It's OFFICIAL.. My Keets HATE ME!! [Re: ] #378796 08/06/09 03:09 AM
B
baby blue Offline
Soulmate
Soulmate
B
my first 2 were fine with my hand but the 4 babies...gotta have the perch. don't be fooled, they know what side their bread is buttered on! being so smart is some of the reason! they are testing to see if you will give up and leave them alone and at the same time, trying to push your buttons to see how far they can push you! LOL

baby blue
Re: It's OFFICIAL.. My Keets HATE ME!! [Re: baby blue] #378811 08/06/09 04:12 AM
C
cyberbud Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend
C
BB truer words were never written! LOL

"Many have forgotten this truth...You remain responsible, forever, for what you have tamed."
Re: It's OFFICIAL.. My Keets HATE ME!! [Re: cyberbud] #378841 08/06/09 12:53 PM
MELANIE12891 Offline
Regular
Regular
They don't hate you! You could also try millet training ~ I find that this has been the best method for Lily, at least.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Lisa Shea 

Search

Latest Posts
How to write an essay in German
by bethyy - 08/13/22 07:01 AM
So the jist of this ; Get CCB and recharge chaotic
by williamN - 08/06/22 11:23 AM
Baby Parakeet still frozen in place after 3 weeks
by PaulWunsch - 07/28/22 06:06 AM
Tips for DTF printing
by textekprinter - 07/21/22 07:14 AM
Privacy Policy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!
Forum Areas

* General Discussion *

Books, TV, Movies

Da Vinci Code

Dreams

Japanese Culture

Life, Universe, Everything

Online Courses

Politics

Religious Research

Show Your Own Work

Work From Home / Writing

* Parakeets and Pets *

General Parakeet Chat

Keet Stories and Photos

Parakeet Photo Gallery

Budgie Training

Health and Medical Issues

Parakeet Breeding

In Memory Of ...

Non-Budgie Pets and Animals

Non-Budgie Animal Photos

Off-Topic for Keet Owners

Games

Animal Rights

Bird / Animal Books

Subscribe
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site