Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 25 1 2 3 4 24 25
Re: Adopting a pal for Pudgie! [Re: baby blue] #378581 08/05/09 12:12 AM
Coco's Mama Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate
Platinum Star Soulmate
Da Pud is in for a shock when the bird in town invades her crib. LOLz..I am sure they will be bffs in no time and you will be spoiling them 2x the amount...maybe 3 since it's a rescue bird. I can see it now they are gonna have their own room and a mailbox.

Re: Adopting a pal for Pudgie! [Re: Coco's Mama] #378583 08/05/09 12:38 AM
P
Pudgie's mom
Unregistered
Pudgie's mom
Unregistered
P
Yup, and a line of credit at Windy City Parrot and another one at Coco's Boutique!

Re: Adopting a pal for Pudgie! [Re: baby blue] #378586 08/05/09 01:05 AM
Darkness Offline
Soulmate
Soulmate
How awesome! Can't wait to see pictures!

Re: Adopting a pal for Pudgie! [Re: Darkness] #378616 08/05/09 02:32 AM
Kirby&Yoshi Offline
Long Time Friend
Long Time Friend
Yay, another budgie smile Getting a new baby is always exciting, I can't wait to see some pictures and hear of her adventures.

Re: Adopting a pal for Pudgie! [Re: baby blue] #378705 08/05/09 07:02 PM
Kariva Offline
Tin Star Soulmate
Tin Star Soulmate
wait pudgie before you adopt i have a female you can have

Re: Adopting a pal for Pudgie! [Re: Kariva] #378709 08/05/09 07:25 PM
**mattie** Offline
Long Time Friend
Long Time Friend
OMG, that's so sweet of you to offer Pudgie a female. smile
Oooh. I can't wait to see pics!
I can't wait any longer.
smile

Re: Adopting a pal for Pudgie! [Re: **mattie**] #378736 08/05/09 08:55 PM
B
baby blue Offline
Soulmate
Soulmate
B
that is one of the saddest things i have heard. it breaks my heart kariva, that you would have to make that post. i know she will have excellent care and be loved, but it is so nasty, what they are doing that you have been put in the position to have to do that. frown i wish i could come down there and kisk the butts of the very unfair people that are putting you through this. frown

baby blue
Re: Adopting a pal for Pudgie! [Re: baby blue] #379724 08/13/09 12:27 AM
P
Pudgie's mom
Unregistered
Pudgie's mom
Unregistered
P
Adopted the new budge-budge on August 7th! I've named her Raina because (a) it was a long rainy drive in driving rain (lol) to get her and (b) my mother passed away last week and her middle name was Lorraine.

[I really hope that Kariva can resolve her keetie situation, by the way; I couldn't adopt one of hers because I'd already made a commitment about Raina to the woman who runs this bird rescue.]

Raina looks like the bird on the right in Kirby&Yoshi's avatar! She's quite fancy-pants compared to Pudgie; I need to learn more about budgie genetics in order to understand her coloring & what it's called.

The big issue for many of us, I think, is whether to take an already traumatized bird straight to the vet, so the bird has one long & horrid day, or whether to let it settle down and then see the vet in a few days or weeks (but does that re-traumatize the bird?). In my case, having to go out of town for my mother's funeral answered the question for me, and Pudgie will see the vet this coming Saturday.

I don't know anything about her background. It seems to be a case of one person giving the bird to another person to give to this bird rescue woman, so she doesn't know specifically why the bird was not wanted or what her living conditions were like.

I must say, this rescue gal is NOT in it for the money and is apparently re-homing unwanted birds for pure reasons. She said Raina had been with her rescue service for two months and seems to be in good health. Not sure how old she is; she has irises and no stripes on her forehead.

Well, Raina has foot problems, as I noticed when she flew to the front of her cage in one of her many "freak outs." One rear toe is sideways, and there are slightly raw-looking spots on the soles of her feet -- not open wounds but more like sore callouses. She now has a comfy perch and I'm hoping that will help her (and of course we'll see what our vet recommends). I almost burst into hysterical sobbing when I saw the bottoms of her feet.

She had one brief bout of diarrhea at some point yesterday, but all poops have been normal other than that.

She is terrified of hands in her cage, but I have been doing several sessions per day of extending a bit of millet spray to her (clenched between two fingertips) and trying to gently and calmly get her used to a benevolent hand in the cage (a hand offering treats, mind you!). She has eaten some twice! Today she didn't freak out quite as much, and I saw her eating out of her food dish! Woot, woot! O Happy Day!

The other odd thing is that she kind of shakes/twitches and lifts her wings and squats down a bit, when she's nervous or excited. I can't tell if she's just a nervous wreck or if those are movements preparatory to flying (she just goes berserk if startled and flies from one side of the cage to another; it's a miracle she hasn't broken a wing).

Her plumage looks okay (but for the remainder of a blunt wing clipping), she grooms herself and does the quick fluff-up when she's done, her cere and eyes and beak look good, and she's very responsive to stimuli.

I will adhere to a 90-day quarantine unless our avian vet gives me the go-ahead to introduce Raina to Pudgie. In the meantime, they can hear each other's tweets, and are chirping back and forth much of the day! I am praying that Pudgie is telling her this is a good birdy home, not "Turn up your nose at pellets!"

I plan to re-read many posts by people who got a second bird (or third or fourth or...!) and/or adopted a birdy, and of course I'm anxious to hear what the vet thinks.

Meanwhile, if anyone has any thoughts about her feet or the twitchiness, I'm all ears! Thanks for listening! smile

Re: Adopting a pal for Pudgie! [Re: ] #379727 08/13/09 12:46 AM
A
Aminah (helwa)
Unregistered
Aminah (helwa)
Unregistered
A
hey hey pudgies mom smile congrats

her feet are most likely that way due to sand perches, sadly many people still use them and they are horrible on birds feet. poor baby.

she has been through alot, moving around, trusting no one, so its alot of work ahead of you.

do as i recommend and cover her entire cage except the front, do this for several days to allow her to calm down and process and learn her new environment, she will have only one view point to worry about and once she has had several days to process that then lift one side so that the front and one side (left or right) is open, do this for several days then lift the other side. the roof and back of the cage should remain covered. of course, totally covered at night.

trust me, his works wonders for nervous birds.

at the vet, get a full chemistry work up, its a blood test, it will give you details about her hormone levels, nutritional levels and so on, so that you know if she has any deficiencies or over abundances. Non avian vets sometimes say this is unneccesary, but thats just because they dont do birds and dont know how to do the test or read it. Avian vets ussually always advocate for it. Also a fecal test is a very good idea.

I would put some GSE of ACV in her water from now, and start putting veggies in her cage now, everything is new to her right now, so she is likely to try to veggies as she is checking out her new life, mix some seed into some pulverized brocoli.

(acv, 1 part acv, 2 parts water is the ratio for drinking water)

acv = apple cider vinegar for those that dont know.

smile congrats and good luck

Re: Adopting a pal for Pudgie! [Re: ] #379734 08/13/09 01:00 AM
P
Pudgie's mom
Unregistered
Pudgie's mom
Unregistered
P
Thanks for the advice, Aminah. I have in fact been doing the progressive cage covering thing, and I did offer her a tiny bit of veggie today on a clip (to no avail), but I like your pulverized broccoli & seed mix idea better.

About blood work: I agree with you, but our previous avian vet said it's rough on poor little budgies and should only be done if absolutely necessary. I suppose in this case, with all the unknowns about Raina, it is necessary? Poor little girl... Well at least the fecal stain test (or whatever it's called) won't hurt her!

Page 2 of 25 1 2 3 4 24 25

Moderated by  Lisa Shea 

Search

Latest Posts
FREE! Science Fiction Sweet Romance
by AlyssakPatterson - 06/15/21 11:25 AM
Dreaming of Losing a Pet
by Jane Pierce - 06/01/21 05:08 AM
nike kyrie 5 en soldes
by RuardGreve - 06/01/21 01:53 AM
nike pg 5 white sale
by RuardGreve - 06/01/21 01:49 AM
adidas stan smith dames lichtblauw
by RuardGreve - 06/01/21 01:47 AM
Dieser Ring aus Sterlingsilber eignet
by RuardGreve - 06/01/21 01:45 AM
Privacy Policy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!
Forum Areas

* General Discussion *

Books, TV, Movies

Da Vinci Code

Dreams

Japanese Culture

Life, Universe, Everything

Online Courses

Politics

Religious Research

Show Your Own Work

Work From Home / Writing

* Parakeets and Pets *

General Parakeet Chat

Keet Stories and Photos

Parakeet Photo Gallery

Budgie Training

Health and Medical Issues

Parakeet Breeding

In Memory Of ...

Non-Budgie Pets and Animals

Non-Budgie Animal Photos

Off-Topic for Keet Owners

Games

Animal Rights

Bird / Animal Books

Subscribe
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site