Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Glimmer of hope #378478 08/04/09 12:44 PM
Puds Offline OP
Long Time Friend
OP Offline
Long Time Friend
I have 10 minutes before i need a shower, so i wanted to give a update on puddles! Training and things she enjoys eating.

Lets start with what has made me really happy! I actually found chickweed! OK, my father found it two blocks over, a entire yard smile I stayed on my block, and did not bother to annoy complete strangers. BUT He brought some home for me, and puddles went to it!!! (i cleaned it of course) Puddles loves the seed pods, just eats them to high heck! She tears the leaves off, and shuffles in them (bathing?) She picks the flower to bits, and nibbles till she cannot pick it up anymore. :0 I am super happy! I hope this turns into a gateway veggie! LOL i am thinking of mixing in other greens the next time i give it to her. Slowly getting her used to veggies is great. I am really proud that she ate the greens. It makes me feel that there is hope for good birdy health! LOL puddles is stubborn! I also let her have a plain life (cereal) squre, and she nibbled at it, then left it alone. Hmmm new grain today. we are having rice with broccoli today, so maybe she can have a bit of supper!

And another thing i am SUPER thrilled about. She is stepping up (when prompted)to a perch. I will teach my finger as time goes on. She makes laps around the room, and flys back to the perch....unprompted...she landed on my leg, and hopped over to the perch, even though her cage was there and her toy stand. OMG! i was suprised and pleased! For the past few days i have been able to pick her from her place, and carry her home with the perch. It makes me proud (again) and happy knowing that she is trusting and bonding with me! I am actually using chick weed as a reward, and she likes that better! (almost out though!)

I made her a real tree perch, and she loves that. Chews on the stray fibers and then bites the perch a little bit. She has nibbled at the cuttle bone (i cut it into 4 odd shaped things. She prefers to get the odd edges softened out!) and then played on her ladder. When i look at her cage she always seems to be playing with/on something! I have toys in there she seems to make up new ways to play, its amazing! Her favorite toy today, will be replaced with jumping the entire day tomorrow.

Over view laugh I always knew i was a bird lover! When i got Puddles i was ready to devote my days when Fiance is at work, with her and train her. Seeing how this little bird is coming into her own, and acting like a normal birdy, is great! I feel this bird is happy, and that makes me happy! Only thing i see is she needs more veggies and variety of a diet. But i feel with time, and work from both she will adapt!

New pics soon smile
Re: Glimmer of hope [Re: Puds] #378480 08/04/09 01:39 PM
K
kksuns Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate
Platinum Star Soulmate
K
That's not just a glimmer of hope Kawaii, it's full blown SHINING!! Congrats on all the milestones! You SHOULD be proud!
I think the chickweed might lead to her trying other veggies too smile
One thing tho-It's VERY important that you MAKE SURE that where ever you got the chickweed from was not treated with pesticides or fertilizers or ANY chemicals. Make sure your town/city does not spray for insects, dutch elm disease etc. Any greens or even branches grown by a road is really not good either.
I wish I could identify chickweed! I'd like to go on a chickweed search myself.Sounds like budgies just love the stuff!
Maybe you can get chickweed seeds so you can plant some indoors for winter use since Puddles loves it so much?
Funny thing about using the chickweed as a reward rather than say..millet or something. Ziggy is crazy for chopped veggies so that's what I use for him smile Go figure-crazy birds! LOL

Moderated by  Lisa Shea 

Search

Latest Posts
GARDEN FLOWERS
by ronyb - 02/24/21 12:51 PM
Yoga
by chandkumar3g - 02/04/21 02:58 PM
A Scanner Darkly!!
by EVA21SA - 02/01/21 09:45 AM
Policing
by EVA21SA - 01/31/21 08:28 AM
How many bullets?
by EVA21SA - 01/31/21 08:17 AM
Across the River is FREE
by EVA21SA - 01/29/21 09:04 AM
War and Fashion
by EVA21SA - 01/29/21 08:54 AM
Origami flower bouquets
by EVA21SA - 01/28/21 09:05 AM
NBA 2K21 unskippable ads"will probably be repaired
by Dingbest - 01/26/21 01:30 AM
So the jist of this ; Get CCB and recharge chaotic
by Dingbest - 01/26/21 01:29 AM
Privacy Policy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!
Forum Areas

* General Discussion *

Books, TV, Movies

Da Vinci Code

Dreams

Japanese Culture

Life, Universe, Everything

Online Courses

Politics

Religious Research

Show Your Own Work

Work From Home / Writing

* Parakeets and Pets *

General Parakeet Chat

Keet Stories and Photos

Parakeet Photo Gallery

Budgie Training

Health and Medical Issues

Parakeet Breeding

In Memory Of ...

Non-Budgie Pets and Animals

Non-Budgie Animal Photos

Off-Topic for Keet Owners

Games

Animal Rights

Bird / Animal Books

Subscribe
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site