Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Multi-theism [Re: PDM] #378202 08/02/09 07:59 PM
Niki Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend
Hard to not go off topic after making a claim that Christianity or anyone's religion fits in the multi-theism genre. :P

I do wonder if all religions can be considered this though. I mean, we can't assuredly say that any religion spawned from nothing and "god alone." They all seem to quite clearly take practices from other religions and theisms. Perhaps they don't explicitly worship that god or gods, but they still carry the practices with them that were done to worship the before mentioned gods.

Re: Multi-theism [Re: Niki] #378208 08/02/09 08:18 PM
PDM Offline OP
True Blue Soulmate
OP Offline
True Blue Soulmate
Originally Posted By: Niki
....... Perhaps they don't explicitly worship that god or gods, but they still carry the practices with them that were done to worship the before mentioned gods.

Good point!

Yes, Christianity, for example, has definitely taken over ideas, etc, from earlier religions, so the rituals of a number of religions are being followed in the name of just one major faith.

I wonder if there is a name for this.

"The secret of success is constancy to purpose" - Benjamin Disraeli.
Re: Multi-theism [Re: PDM] #378212 08/02/09 08:41 PM
Babies and Birds Offline
Friend
Friend
True Christianity is not a religion, it is a relationship w/ Jesus Christ. It is not dictated by rules, regulations, bylaws, practices, etc... It is a relationship and a way of walking down the narrow path leading to Christ. Too many ppl claim to be Christian and use this as a big broad thing to cover many other beliefs. But, a true Christian is a born again Christian who has accepted Jesus into their heart and walks daily with Him. Their are a lot of non-Christians that claim to be just b/c they believe in God or go to church, but it doesn't work that way. God bless. smile

Re: Multi-theism [Re: Babies and Birds] #378213 08/02/09 08:54 PM
Niki Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend
Quote:
True Christianity is not a religion, it is a relationship w/ Jesus Christ.

This very idea is a created by man. It's also too easy for you to say what "true" Christianity is. I would disagree adamentally as I still consider myself to follow the teachings of Jesus, therefore claim Christian as my tentative title. There are also countless denominations who would also disagree with this "relationship" thing. Those who don't disagree by the letter, certainly disagree in unspoken terms that more is required than a relationship.

The reality of Christianity is that it is a completely composite religion that has morphed and changed so much in the past 2,000 that you can hardly recognize it from its mother religion anymore.

Last edited by Niki; 08/02/09 08:54 PM. Reason: typo
Re: Multi-theism [Re: Babies and Birds] #378231 08/02/09 11:20 PM
PDM Offline OP
True Blue Soulmate
OP Offline
True Blue Soulmate
Originally Posted By: Babies and Birds
True Christianity is not a religion, it is a relationship w/ Jesus Christ. ...

While I can understand this viewpoint, Christianity is a religion. It is one of many religions & it has taken over the rituals of some earlier religions. Christians may feel Jthat they have a personal relationship with God / Jesus, but that is their belief. Others may completely disagree with them and may think that Christians are misguided.

We have had a number of discussions on this subject.

Just because Christians believe that their idea of God is the correct one does not, necessarily, make it so.

We are, though, veering off topic again. This thread is about multi-theism. I shall start a new thread to ask if Christianity is a religion.

http://www.wineintro.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=378230&#Post378230

Re: Multi-theism [Re: PDM] #380403 08/18/09 08:01 PM
somsuj Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend
Quote:
'Although the Hindu religion has roots in Sumer,

disagree

Believe in nothing unless it agrees with your own reason, knowledge & common sense
Be good, do good
Re: Multi-theism [Re: somsuj] #380429 08/18/09 09:51 PM
PDM Offline OP
True Blue Soulmate
OP Offline
True Blue Soulmate
Whoever wrote that put some fairly controversial 'information' on his site.

How would you say that Hinduism fits into this subject, Somsuj?

Re: Multi-theism [Re: PDM] #380431 08/18/09 09:59 PM
somsuj Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend
Hinduism itself - as practised presently - is a multi-theism.

By origin it was not.

Believe in nothing unless it agrees with your own reason, knowledge & common sense
Be good, do good
Re: Multi-theism [Re: somsuj] #380433 08/18/09 10:05 PM
janimal Offline
Tin Star Soulmate
Tin Star Soulmate
hey som.

from what i understand, the earliest archaeology associated with hinduism comes from the indus valley and dates from the same period as the sumerian civilisation, and stands as a point of origin in its own right.

like the aryan theory of the origins of hinduism, it seems to stem from the assumption that the indian civilisation must have the same origins as the european. its a form of white propaganda which won't acknowledge that the people of the indian subcontinent could have come up with their own civilisation.

what do you think?

i've always been a bit confused about the origins of hinduism. it goes such a long way back and there are so many theories. the word hinduism has been in use as a collective term for less that 200 years, and is derived from the persian name for the indus river (bit of a mish-mash), but i do reckon its a home grown tradition.

It's All got to go!!!

BudeStrings Music Tuition
Re: Multi-theism [Re: janimal] #380479 08/19/09 08:42 AM
somsuj Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend
It is not established beyond doubt that Indus Valley Civilization people were 'Hindus'. The timeline of IVC is from 3300 - 1700 BCE. The apogee being the mature period 2600–1900 BCE. Sumerian Civilization - it is difficult to understand which one being referred to - say agriculture appeared at 5300 BCE - writing developed in 3700 BCE . . . are we referring to Uruk phase or Ubaid phase - or is it Akkadian empire we are referring to ? So, I need more specific data from that author to discuss this fully. re Aryan invasion theory - if that is what you are referring to by indian civilisation must have the same origins as the european - I would say, the original theory of Maxmuller was a linguistic theory (circa 1880) . . . historian tried to piggyback it and hypothesised Aryan invasion . . . but all these before discovery of IVC under Sir John Hubert Marshall in 1921–22 and resulting in the discovery of the hitherto unknown civilization at Harappa by Sir John Marshall, Rai Bahadur Daya Ram Sahni and Madho Sarup Vats, and at Mohenjo-daro by Rakhal Das Banerjee, E. J. H. MacKay, and Sir John Marshall. There is definitely some evidence of migration in the areas to the east of Caspian sea and to the north and west of the pamir . . . see here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indo-Aryan_migration Origin of Hinduism is not clearly known - but Vedas being the surviving text of the original ideas - it does not demonstrate the multi-theism that we see today.

Be good, do good
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Lisa Shea 

Search

Latest Posts
How Tire Shredders Affect Our Climate
by allenlu - 12/28/21 06:18 AM
Modafinil 200mg Tablet: Provigil Uses, Dosage
by modafinilxpills - 12/27/21 07:16 AM
Three babies!
by Lanapo - 12/24/21 11:55 AM
Privacy Policy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!
Forum Areas

* General Discussion *

Books, TV, Movies

Da Vinci Code

Dreams

Japanese Culture

Life, Universe, Everything

Online Courses

Politics

Religious Research

Show Your Own Work

Work From Home / Writing

* Parakeets and Pets *

General Parakeet Chat

Keet Stories and Photos

Parakeet Photo Gallery

Budgie Training

Health and Medical Issues

Parakeet Breeding

In Memory Of ...

Non-Budgie Pets and Animals

Non-Budgie Animal Photos

Off-Topic for Keet Owners

Games

Animal Rights

Bird / Animal Books

Subscribe
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site