Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
omg! clipping wings is not easy- help #376920 07/24/09 08:58 PM
budgiesrule Offline OP
Friend
OP Offline
Friend
it has been a while since i have been here, but i have been all about this summer.
anyhow, my babies are out of control flying and i need to tame them so i decided to clip wings, well puff was fine, but i didn't know how tight i could hold him to trim then kookie bit the hell out of me, i tried the light towel to keep him from harm and less stree but this guy is a xxxxxx. he just won't hold still. any suggestions other than the vets? that is my next plan of action. i got half of the flight feathers cut on one wing, ughh....... the biting i do not react to cause i know they pick up on that so i do not yell or scold etc... i just grin and bear it!
lol
anyhow, i get nervous i am gonna cut a blood feather but i have read everything about the second feather line etc... have flour standing by , just need help on keeping the xxxxxx still.
help!

Last edited by PDM; 07/26/09 12:58 PM.
Re: omg! clipping wings is not easy- help [Re: budgiesrule] #376921 07/24/09 09:06 PM
S
skipperdog Offline
Good Friend
Good Friend
S
I would let the vet do it. Cutting a blood feather is serious and I know you don't want to do that.

If you don't want to take them to the vet, I would get someone else to gently restrain your bird so you can trim the feathers.

Re: omg! clipping wings is not easy- help [Re: skipperdog] #376979 07/25/09 03:33 AM
B
baby blue Offline
Soulmate
Soulmate
B
you are right and so is skip. it is hard to do by yourself. i have done my clipping for a long time and the last time i clipped i cut a little shorter than i should have. yep, i've bled lots! get someone to help you with it.

baby blue
Re: omg! clipping wings is not easy- help [Re: baby blue] #376981 07/25/09 04:05 AM
A
animalfriend Offline
Best Friend
Best Friend
A
Originally Posted By: baby blue
i've bled lots!

lol. Me too. I think it all depends on the temperament of the individual bird. I haven't really had much trouble with clipping. I definitely get bit, especially from Lovey. He's smart and knows that clipping his wings means he won't be able to fly as high. I would go to a vet as well if I was having trouble. They are able to handle a blood feather if bleeding occurs. If in doubt consult a professional. Better safe than sorry.

Re: omg! clipping wings is not easy- help [Re: animalfriend] #376983 07/25/09 04:20 AM
C
Caribbean mom :)
Unregistered
Caribbean mom :)
Unregistered
C
Is this the first time you have tried to do it? It is a little easier if you can get someone to help you. The can hold and you can cut. Look closely before you cut. I do believe you can see a pinkish red in the shaft of a blood feather.

Re: omg! clipping wings is not easy- help [Re: ] #377025 07/25/09 06:12 PM
B
baby blue Offline
Soulmate
Soulmate
B
important thing i just remembered... if you are doing it at home, make sure that the scissors you will be using are VERY SHARP. blunt ones leave ragged edges that look bad. then you try to fix that... then you end up cutting too short. sharp scissors leave a nice clean edge and also cut easily through the quill stems instead of causing them to shatter. (dull scissors were what caused reds' blood feather bleed.)instead of a clean cut, the quill shattered up and down the length and caused the bleed, even though the feather had been cut at a proper distance. just a tip.

baby blue

Moderated by  Lisa Shea 

Search

Latest Posts
Buy Artvigil 150mg online
by rxonlinesecure - 05/20/22 08:53 AM
Statue of Liberty Co-opted by Christians
by dfdchgf - 05/18/22 12:04 PM
Architecture photography challeng
by latinkaone - 05/16/22 09:30 AM
Privacy Policy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!
Forum Areas

* General Discussion *

Books, TV, Movies

Da Vinci Code

Dreams

Japanese Culture

Life, Universe, Everything

Online Courses

Politics

Religious Research

Show Your Own Work

Work From Home / Writing

* Parakeets and Pets *

General Parakeet Chat

Keet Stories and Photos

Parakeet Photo Gallery

Budgie Training

Health and Medical Issues

Parakeet Breeding

In Memory Of ...

Non-Budgie Pets and Animals

Non-Budgie Animal Photos

Off-Topic for Keet Owners

Games

Animal Rights

Bird / Animal Books

Subscribe
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site